Lens recommendations for video & photo on the GH4?

mrcultureshock

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I only have the Olympus 17mm f1.8. But I have used quite a few different lenses on other systems when I had them. This focal length has proven to be my most liked.  50mm is too flat and has no charm. 75mm is too close for general purpose. 24mm is nice but only for landscapes. 35mm is perfect.

The fast focusing and ability to snap back the ring to manually focus makes this lens a joy to use. You could also check out the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95, though it's 3-4 times the cost and very heavy for a m43 prime.

I've also owned the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8. But I feel the zoom range is too limited to be very useful. I'm thinking of adding the 35-100mm to my collection though.

Cinematic images, IMHO, are easier attained with the longer "portrait" focal lengths. For reference: the 80-130mm FF equivalent.

They make getting shots a more considerate process. The constraints of this force me to be creative and technically disciplined. I like that.

Short lens shots speak to me, (outside of narrative context) more often than not, as "video" rather than film. That's my broadcasting background, I suppose.

Anyway, the small/light Oly45mm on the m43 sensor has been good to me.

Any cheap/sharp 50mm lens (adapted) will work too. Right now I have 4 different 50's. Pentax, Nikon, Helios and Jupiter. Bigger glass but perfectly capable in different ways.

I have no real love for zooms, but they are pragmatic depending on the gig.

There is upcoming Panasonic 15mm/1.7 (it will probably be compatible with GH4 new 'DoD' focusing - nice for stills), but we have to wait for some reviews. Probably comparable to Olympus 17/1.8.

GH4 4k has something like 2.2x crop, so 15mm -> 33mm FF.

Depending on preferred focal length, there is great:

Olympus 12/2.0, 25/1.8, 45/1.8; Panasonic 20/1.7, 25/1.4

I agree with Inazuma... 35mm (ff) is a pretty sweet focal length

I´d say get the Panasonic 12-35. The autofocus is very fast, excellent if you are in a hurry with either filming or photography. It has an IS, so you can do some dirty shots without looking too dirty... and the olympus 45 f1.8 for portrait reasons.

Later on the Panasonic 35-100 to complete a good zoom range and the olympus 17 f1.8.

If you have the budget, also as Inazuma said, you could switch the two olympus with the equivalent voigtländers 17.5 f0.95 and 45 f0.95...