DIY shoulder support for BMPCC (less than 50 bucks)

Axel

This is my fifth attempt to find an affordable stabilization solution for the BMPCC, particularly for the heavy setup with Speedbooster and Sigma 18-35. It works perfectly, and the only two things that are missing are

1. Pistol grip to be clicked underneath the cage with a quick release plate and

2. Lanc-controller with button on top of the grip for START/STOP.

130414-5.JPG

It consists of an old, self-built shoulder pad with counterweight (aluminum rack, ~$ 5,- , bent in a vice and padded with foam rubber, ~ $ 2,-), a micro goose neck with 3/8" connections, ~ $ 7,- , filled with a steel rod, ~ $1,-) and a ball head (~$ 30,-).

The ball head allows for fast height- and angle-adjustments. I found this to be the most crucial aspect of all shoulder supports. You both stress your neck with only half an inch of unergonomic proportions and run the risk of unintentionally rotating your frame. Not with this ball head.

If you loosen the ball, you can screw it on or off the cage within 10 seconds. 

130414-3.JPG

The counterweight could be substituted with a battery pack, and the rod that helds the goose neck stiff could also be a steel tube (well, perhaps, it could turn out to be too weak then) to hide the cable.

The shoulder pad doesn't look particularly elegant, I'm sure you can do better. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here is a remote that is reported to work for START/STOP with the Pocket. 

Comment:

I spent many hours looking for a LANC remote control for use with my BMPCC that did not cost an arm and a leg. The 585LNC has proven to be the perfect choice. Let me explain. The BMPCC is a very light weight cinema camera and , as such, is easily moved. The use of a remote shutter release helps to lessen this tendency. As an additional bonus the 585LNC is designed to attach to steadycam rigs.