Upcoming Video Project: GH2 and GX7 Audio Questions

jeffharris

I have an upcoming video project doing online video training modules for staff members of a major NYC hospital. (It's nice to have connections. ;-) But I'm not getting paid, either. :-( ) Anyway, I'm a photographer, not a video guy and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do video with audio and not spend a ton of money on more gear. I plan on using my GH2 and (possibly) GX7, Voigtländer M4/3 lenses and probably get Final Cut to tie it all together.

One other thing, I want to do some video screen captures of someone using custom software for trainings, adding a voiceover later. Since I'm a Mac guy I know of Mac applications that can do that, but all their computers are Windows, so is there a good Windows application that can do that?

I'm thinking of using an external mic, probably some sort of clip-on type, since it's just voice recording.

Mono or Stereo? I already have a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor for a mic.

I may try using both cameras, to make it more interesting for viewers, so an external audio recorder should be my best bet when editing it all together. There's stuff like time codes that I'll have to deal with, correct?

Will I need lights, like small LEDs or am I better off working with ambient light? I do have fast lenses.

Am I crazy trying to use 2 cameras and an external recorder, since I have no clue what I'm doing?

Should I keep it simple and stick with one camera and an external mic recording direct to the camera?

I'm tech proficient and have no doubt that I'd be able to pull it all together. It'll be a good learning experience.

Does anyone have suggestions for mice, external recorders, reality check, etc.? Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

you´re better off using one camera... except you maybe want to install one of them somewhere to do a timelaps or whatever. As for audio, grab a preamp with xlr input, microphone -> preamp -> camera. I don´t know about the possibilites for audio managament in certain cameras, but if possible, turn down the level to one stop before zero.

the Juiced Link seem to be ok for what I hear: ~ 3-400$, also Sound Devices of course, the cheapest one also 400$... these are no recorders though. You have to link it with the camera. pro: you don´t have to sync the sound in post, good sound quality. con: requires a bit of camera hardware like mic input, headphone input and some basic rigging.

If you want extern recorders, there are tons of cheap ones, which maybe get the job done, but really are not very good. 100-400$.

As for mics, depending on background noise, clip ons are probably best and since you want just the voice - mono is fine. ~200$ for a rode for example.

With lights things get a little more tricky. Normally I wouldn´t try my luck with ambient light. I know you from the 43rumors forum and know you love your voigtländers :) I´m not concered that you can´t get a good apperture but when it comes to highlighting a face you are pretty limited in your options without some basic lighting. You can work with some cheap led panels, but this light will be hard to control and need heavy diffusion to look ok. Also take a good look at their color temperature and what color temperature you will have to deal with... hospital.. guess a lot of fluorescent lights, which depending on type can range from 2700-6500 Kelvin + theres lots of indirect sunlight... so well :) I´d recommend using the light from windows as key + a daylight led for some highlighting...

So, all in all, it would be quite an investment... Guess you have to ask yourself if you want to do more of that stuff and already get some gear you wont be unhappy with or and since you don´t get paid anything you just grab a bouncer and a cheap voice recorder and be creative :)

I'm thinking of using an external mic, probably some sort of clip-on type, since it's just voice recording.

Mono or Stereo? I already have a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor for a mic.

A lavalier mic is a good option, you can find a wired one pretty cheap, the Audio-Technica ATR3350 but if you prefer or need to use a shotgun mic, the Audio-technica at897 is a fairly cheap option, small and good performer.

I may try using both cameras, to make it more interesting for viewers, so an external audio recorder should be my best bet when editing it all together. There's stuff like time codes that I'll have to deal with, correct?

I do recommend you the Tascam Dr60 is very cheap right now at $199 (at B&H includes PluralEyes) and it works with XLR inputs and 3.5mm, do you can send your balanced audio to the GH2 and keep a copy on the recorder if you need to.

Will I need lights, like small LEDs or am I better off working with ambient light? I do have fast lenses.

Is best to have at least a a pair of basics 500 Led lighting kit, always be prepared to the unknow ;)

Am I crazy trying to use 2 cameras and an external recorder, since I have no clue what I'm doing?

Should I keep it simple and stick with one camera and an external mic recording direct to the camera?

I'm tech proficient and have no doubt that I'd be able to pull it all together. It'll be a good learning experience.

If you're a Lonely Ranger on this project i do recommend to stick with just one camera; because do as camera man, audio recording, directing and producer if a very hard job to do it alone.

But if you have someone else with you, then use the second camera as B-roll, it really add very much to any production.

A little advise, use some sort of slate prior to do any take recording, (get a slate clapper board) or use a white paper and clap in the beginning of any recording, this will help you if do you need to sync audio or when are recording with 2 cameras.

Good luck is a very stressed job but a very regarding one ;)