Sony A7S rolling shutter test

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If the prosumer camera footage I watch on vimeo is indicative, 99% of the people who will buy this camera won't rack focus, let alone pan the camera. I'm pretty sure non professionals who buy multi thousand dollar cameras just buy stuff to produce test footage. In other words  the A7s will be just fine for filming bridges, people walking, and sunsets.  :P

• Administrators

If the prosumer camera footage I watch on vimeo is indicative, 99% of the people who will buy this camera won't rack focus, let alone pan the camera. I'm pretty sure non professionals who buy multi thousand dollar cameras just buy stuff to produce test footage. In other words  the A7s will be just fine for filming bridges, people walking, and sunsets.  :P

How incredibly condescending towards non-pros.

indeed.  He disregards the fact that not everyone buys cameras for scripted or professional work.  I'd encourage FilmBrute to share some of his professional work alongside his bold statements:)  

Couldn't this still be used for shots with slower movements? It might not be useful for fast paced Bourne style ninja shots, but it definitely does have a place. The wedding market could possibly lap this up.

Also, Sony should have had the b@!!s to announce the price soon after the announcement of the camera. Like Panasonic did with the GH4. 

I have already tested it. It doesn't.

Dear Andrew, can you show test of rolling shutter in Panasonic GH4?

I now that it was increased on 50% but I wanna se how it looks. Please show as you can.

PS: I'm your subscriber from Russia and I have registered on your forum special for send you this question because http://goo.gl/099sj5 is no question in google.

With best regards, Pavel

That's why you gotta take what these hired "filmmakers" say with a grain of salt. You'll never get the real low down until someone like Andrew and some others point it out. I got excited too about the A7s too, then I heard it was only 8-bit, then realized it was still only 8-bit even in 4k with a recorder and then a price gets tossed around, $4100.00 USD and now this rolling shutter issue. It's a speciality cam, lock it down and shoot in the dark if you absolutly have to and you'll do fine with it. If you take to heart what these showcase filmmakers say, you'll be kicking yourself down the road. Hey if it was under 2 grand I wouldn't even write this post but after hearing what they'd like to charge I had to chime in.

• Administrators

Dear Andrew, can you show test of rolling shutter in Panasonic GH4?

I now that it was increased on 50% but I wanna se how it looks. Please show as you can.

PS: I'm your subscriber from Russia and I have registered on your forum special for send you this question because http://goo.gl/099sj5 is no question in google.

With best regards, Pavel

Sure, will do one tomorrow.

While that may be true, don't tar all amateurs with that brush - I love film making and yes, I make films about my kid, my dog and a tonne of other stuff you're not going to enjoy watching - but then, you're not the intended audience. When I make a movie about an incredible bridge I saw, just remember, when you sneer at it, you're sneering at my holiday album - I put it on vimeo so that I can share it with the other people who were on holiday with me by sharing a link. Do I rack focus, well actually I do, but do you make you family wait for golden hour to make sure your holiday snaps of bridges are "professional" quality?

I'm not a professional, I don't want to be and if you know you can make better than me by virtue of doing it for your living, that's just fine, but I'm a test driver for a living. I get to drive exotic cars every day of my life, fast around amazing roads. Is it fair of me to sneer at what car you drive, offer professional level "critique" when you need a second stab at parking straight, chortle at you in internet forums as you can't change a wheel in 30 seconds? I understand what it's like to be so good at something that you can make a living out of it while being surrounded by everyone else who can only just function, I really do, but I promise you, it's not necessary to be a bellend about it.

While that may be true, don't tar all amateurs with that brush - I love film making and yes, I make films about my kid, my dog and a tonne of other stuff you're not going to enjoy watching - but then, you're not the intended audience. When I make a movie about an incredible bridge I saw, just remember, when you sneer at it, you're sneering at my holiday album - I put it on vimeo so that I can share it with the other people who were on holiday with me by sharing a link. Do I rack focus, well actually I do, but do you make you family wait for golden hour to make sure your holiday snaps of bridges are "professional" quality?

I'm not a professional, I don't want to be and if you know you can make better than me by virtue of doing it for your living, that's just fine, but I'm a test driver for a living. I get to drive exotic cars every day of my life, fast around amazing roads. Is it fair of me to sneer at what car you drive, offer professional level "critique" when you need a second stab at parking straight, chortle at you in internet forums as you can't change a wheel in 30 seconds? I understand what it's like to be so good at something that you can make a living out of it while being surrounded by everyone else who can only just function, I really do, but I promise you, it's not necessary to be a bellend about it.

I think Filmbrute is misunderstood here.

From what he wrote, I think he's saying that professionals are making great work on cameras that may not be the best... however they're pushed to their limits to achieve awesome results. Some hobbyists may never use features that cost thousands of dollars, yet complain bitterly how these camera are inadequate. Its a true irony that in no way is done to offend hobbyists. Most of the time the enthusiastic hobbyists become professionals, or at least produce work of a pro quality.

Its more of a comment on this materialist trend in consumerism to always have the best, regardless of whether its worth it, needed or even used at all. It becomes more an industry of appearances than actual artistry. This is evident by many clients who see the smaller gh2 or gh3 and assume that the filmmaker is not as pro as one who uses the 5D Mark ii. 

I don't think its anything to get too defensive about. If you test cars, travel or have a beautiful family, you have incredible inspiration for some amazing footage. However sometimes purchasing the best camera with all of the bells and whistles starts to become the inspiration, which is sad.

I don't think FilmBrute was being completely serious, and even if he was, who gives a scheiße.

Whether it's just hot air off an inflated ego of a pro cinematographer, or whining off an easily intimidated enginerd, it doesn't really matter. As long as we don't have the actual product with the final firmware in our hands, or even know the actual street price, all of this is just pointless waste of forum bandwidth.

That one silly video is a poor piece of "evicence," it doesn't really prove anything yet. It just shows how easily online memes are being born, especially when the hype machine is running with full steam.

So, until we've got the real thing, like Elmer the pig said, Move along, nothing more to see here, that's all folks

Yep I think he was misunderstood. Sorry FilmBrute!

Humorous vibe is part of life, actually. Impossible to live without it. Imagine you to write it without mention his alias now? Bits and bytes of good humor immediately lost. To Caesar what belongs to Caesar :)

Care to explain dear sir? :P

why every time there's something wrong in a camera the wedding market should embrace it? We are all fools? We all do only tripod shots of embalmed people? In my experience weddings are much more animated than that and rolling shutter is a serious issue.