Sony A7S rolling shutter test

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If Chubby isn't available about Den Lennie? :)

This explains all the slow moving and locked down shots in all that beautiful footage we've seen so far.  I guess they didn't want to let the cat outta the bag too early.   I can't help feeling this is nothing more than a bridge camera to something far better coming soon from Sony. It's not really 4k, but it is,... it's great in low light, but it's processing power isn't good enough to control the rolling shutter.   Maybe next year though.   

"Given the low price of these cameras it seems reasonable to consider using both the GH4 and the A7S, applying each camera when a scene might play to their individual strengths."

This is what i was thinking too. Shooters like me, this is dream come true. GH4 as a main Camera and to complement that there is A7s.

Freedom at last!

• Administrators

Larger sensor is going to have more problem with rolling shutter. The solution should be develop sensors with global shutter.  Sacrifice some of the sensitivity in exchange for solving this problem.  

I don't think it's so much the physical sensor size as the amount of data to read off it. 4K is a lot of pixels. 2160 lines is double the number to scan than 1080. It takes twice as long, so to compensate you have to speed up the rolling shutter. Sony have not done this enough.

I had a chance to play with the Sony AX100 in Best Buy last week.  This rolling shutter is JUST LIKE IT in 4K mode.  I will say that the AX100 did have a great image in 4K and the rolling shutter in 1080 mode was not bad at all.

I'm going to have to go look at it.  I didn't know Best Buy had them in stock. 

Larger sensor is going to have more problem with rolling shutter. The solution should be develop sensors with global shutter.  Sacrifice some of the sensitivity in exchange for solving this problem.

Unnecessary. With a stacked sensor design, the global-shutter circuitry could be on a separate layer. Read comments by Alternative Vision's David Gilblom on this Image Sensors World post about the Epic Dragon sensor. Apparently, with global shutters, you can have your cake and eat it, too.

There goes my dreams of ghost hunting with this camera. Going to be a lot of leaning Slimers in the frame.

slimer-skew.jpg

Well, you can always team up with Steve Huff, and ask him for ghost hunting tips.  :P

BTW, whoever did that wiggling seemed to make sure it looks as bad as it possibly can. I don't know which lens was attached to the camera, but he zoomed it in all the way to the telephoto end, which will obviously magnify the effect.

Nevertheless, if the price will actually land somewhere near three grand or even more, that, together with he wiggle might make it hard to justify the purchase to myself. But better to wait and see, ignoring the hype, until the final product is here, along with the final price tag.