Panasonic GH4 firmware goes final and shipping soon?

Andrew Reid

Of course you will. It has clean hdmi out

Yeah, there is no question we will be able to view/record the 1080p video out of the GH4, while recording internally at 8bit.

I'm just really interested in - how that 1080 signal is generated :)

Shipping the 24th...!? They must be on their way to the shops soon then! :D

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In case you don't now, rumor - Metabones is working on dedicated speedbooster for GH4.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-metabones-working-on-a-dedicated-speedbooster-for-the-gh4/

I must be missing something, but the current mFT speedbooster at 0.71x is almost spot on to S35 as it is.

mFT sensor size imaging area width = 17.3mm

Add standard speedbooster (0.71x), equivalent of = 24.37mm

S35 imaging area width = 24.9mm

So are they going to make a 0.69x speedbooster? Makes little sense. Unless they're fading the 0.71x out and just replacing with an uprated design. Dedicated to GH4 doesn't sound right though.

I must be missing something, but the current mFT speedbooster at 0.71x is almost spot on to S35 as it is.

mFT sensor size imaging area width = 17.3mm.

In 4k mode the GH4 doesn't use the whole sensor. It's a 4096 pixel crop of the sensor that is 4608 pixels wide.

Inazuma,

From the preproduction videos we seen (here from Andrew and elsewhere) Looking at 1/3 stop better performance (yes not a massive amount) - so image quality has been improved and so too the noise characterists. But its not a mega leap over the GH3 (at 1080)

Andrew has taken the time to upload examples to Vimeo - AND provide the source files via links to copy.com (or some hosting thingy he has)

Don't make the mistake I made and rely on the Vimeo/YouTube videos - you really need to download the originals and have a look.

However, taking the 4k image from the camera and downsampling it to 1080 via your NLE, you will notice a nice difference in 1080 quality :)

Back to shipping... I bet BHPhoto and Adorama will be shipping next week too, can't believe it only one of the big retailers to have obtained stock. Both of these are closed for this long weekend... Fingers crossed for Tuesday eh!