Blackmagic respond to EOSHD about supporting existing cameras - audio levels and histograms on the way!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It is likely that the unified firmware is needed first before that can happen. No point modding the hardware when the firmware to support active mount on the 2.5K isn't ready yet.

Thanks Andrew, sure! it must be that; because they already developed the active mount even the new Studio Camera has a active one, something that i noticed and what really make me interested in the Cinema version and not in the Pocket is the 2.5k and for what i can see is a lot sharper than the Pocket; from your experience, this is true? i really need the 12bit output from the Blackmagic because my main work is digital compositing and this camera is priceless for what you get, for what you pay, and even better if Blackmagic fixed those annoyances.

I'm only posting this as a means that you might understand where (at least some) of the backlash is coming from.  Try to go easy on yourself and ignore the bashing.  The Internet is cruel like 3rd grade is cruel.

But, because you- like most content creators on the internet- are not a credentialed/degreed journalist- there are certain things that you (and most others) don't know about reporting, but probably should.

For instance, report facts only, and if it's opinion, then preface it by stating *clearly* that it is *your* opinion.  It just won't work when you are both the reporter and the op-ed guy.

For example, (not to belabor a point), how can you report fairly on BMD when you post the following quote the day BMD launches their new cameras:

"Their [BMD] existing Cinema and Pocket Camera user base is lost. It’s over."

It's fine to have an opinion, I'm not judging you.  I'm often wrong myself, and I, too, get overexcited.  But you need to find some way of separating opinion from news.  When it's combined, some people lose their ****.  I appreciate your site, your reporting, and these forums.  I'm just trying to help out (as a non-biased member of any forum or fanboy of any manufacturer.

• Administrators

I'm only posting this as a means that you might understand where (at least some) of the backlash is coming from.  Try to go easy on yourself and ignore the bashing.  The Internet is cruel like 3rd grade is cruel.

But, because you- like most content creators on the internet- are not a credentialed/degreed journalist- there are certain things that you (and most others) don't know about reporting, but probably should.

For instance, report facts only, and if it's opinion, then preface it by stating *clearly* that it is *your* opinion.  It just won't work when you are both the reporter and the op-ed guy.

For example, (not to belabor a point), how can you report fairly on BMD when you post the following quote the day BMD launches their new cameras:

It's fine to have an opinion, I'm not judging you.  I'm often wrong myself, and I, too, get overexcited.  But you need to find some way of separating opinion from news.  When it's combined, some people lose their ****.  I appreciate your site, your reporting, and these forums.  I'm just trying to help out (as a non-biased member of any forum or fanboy of any manufacturer.

A blog is by definition not traditional journalism in the sense that you only report facts.

For a start it is written in the first person perspective, as in "how I see it" like a newspaper column. If I take my personal opinion out of EOSHD I may as well just reprint some press releases and call it a day.

So you essentially are suggesting I actually do that. Wow!

Secondly it is written as a log (hence the origins of the word... web-log... b-log) of my filmmaking experience and the cameras I use and am interested in. It isn't Wikipedia.

I believe if you read the articles with any kind of level-headedness you can easily see what is my opinion and what is an objective fact.

Clearly me saying "the user base is lost" is, taken in context, an opinion. Based on the facts, but nevertheless it is my opinion. I am web logging my opinion and experience.

Most people who have 'called me out' for inaccuracies actually just don't agree with my opinion. I haven't got the facts wrong I have just got the wrong opinion and they don't like it.

Heaven help me if I ever write a satirical article.

I did that about Red once.

Honestly, I'm just trying to help.  People enjoy both reporting and opinion, so finding a subtle but attractive way to designate between the two might change the way people interpret your web log.  I know what's opinon vs. news is clear to you-- but this group tends to mistake one for the other, takes it all personally and then **** flies.  But I'll leave it at that.  If you think I'm an ass and a moron for my suggestion, so be it.  I can live with that.  Again, I appreciate your site and I hope to see it grow in positive ways.

Yes censored.

So I'll mention this on here instead...

A few years ago when I was starting EOSHD, I was banned from the DVXUser forum due to disagreements with some members and some of the moderating team. There was a bit of an element of a personality clash.

At the time I was also running some articles strongly critical of Red and their delays / price / spec changes with the Scarlet.

Landmine Media who run DVXUser actually went to Jim Jannard's legal department and together they sued me for $70,000.

Sued for forum posts and my own opinion at EOSHD.

In order to drop the case, Jim Jannard's lawyer said I would have to sign a non-disparagement agreement which I duly signed and faxed over under pressure of a very stressful court battle which I couldn't afford to defend myself over. I simply wanted a quiet life.

There's always been a very vocal anti-EOSHD group of users at DVX, BMCC and Personal-View. In recent months it has become borderline harassment.

I've been caused no end of stress from this and it is beginning to really get to me, personally and privately.

I hope this helps to give some perspective as to my strong feelings towards the BMCUser taunts.

At the same time, there are people like me who have defended you among the inner circle, you well know it :-)

Depends on how vigilant they are on the integrity of their own accusations really - the people in here throwing around accusations clearly didn't do the research they demanded of the site here, so they just came here, made some rude, unpleasant comments and are yet to apologise for the mistake they made and Captain hook really needs to research fair use for review purposes before making requests on behalf of someone else, in public in a clear attempt to stir the faeces.

It makes no difference. Readers don't have to be right, and there's no reason to expect that. If Andrew wants users to only post when they're right, good luck trying to moderate that. If he trusts he's doing a good job and knows what he's talking about, then it shouldn't matter. Just keep moving forward (which he's not doing when he spars with readers like this) and expect that he will find the audience he deserves. Or does he think that magic will start working once he's even more popular, and all the naysayers and critics will go away? Of course not. It will only get worse as he gets more readers, so he may as well get on with it. That's just part of being on the internet or in any kind of public life. Big deal.

• Administrators

I don't mind poorly researched lazy comments. It is the poorly researched lazy RUDE comments which have nothing to do with cameras that I am trying to moderate the best I can, being the only guy running the entire site.

It's good to hear Blackmagic is going to update their firmware with new features soon.  There have been some quality issues, and quirkiness to their cameras, but from what I have seen, nothing beats their cinematic quality in this price range.  It's immediately noticeable to even the layperson.  It appears it may take the other manufacturers quite a while to catch up to them on that.  Blackmagic will need to start pushing more features and make their cameras more polished as time goes on, though, to stay ahead of the pack.

Michael

Yes censored.

So I'll mention this on here instead...

A few years ago when I was starting EOSHD, I was banned from the DVXUser forum due to disagreements with some members and some of the moderating team. There was a bit of an element of a personality clash.

At the time I was also running some articles strongly critical of Red and their delays / price / spec changes with the Scarlet.

Landmine Media who run DVXUser actually went to Jim Jannard's legal department and together they sued me for $70,000.

Sued for forum posts and my own opinion at EOSHD.

In order to drop the case, Jim Jannard's lawyer said I would have to sign a non-disparagement agreement which I duly signed and faxed over under pressure of a very stressful court battle which I couldn't afford to defend myself over. I simply wanted a quiet life.

There's always been a very vocal anti-EOSHD group of users at DVX, BMCC and Personal-View. In recent months it has become borderline harassment.

I've been caused no end of stress from this and it is beginning to really get to me, personally and privately.

I hope this helps to give some perspective as to my strong feelings towards the BMCUser taunts.

I've had some very sketchy experiences with dvxusers, but even I'm surprised they would go that far. 

Yep.  Totally see this as good advice.  I don't know TAPTAP, but in reading his post - I get this point. I read the blog here all the time and have no issue with your opinions Andrew.  I appreciate them.  I can also differentiate opinion from fact within your posts without issue.  My brain works without fanboy blindness.  It's great really.  But, others may not be so fortunate.  I'm sure you'll take it or leave it - whatever, but I like TAPTAP's post.   I didn't think he was saying "don't have an opinion" - just, make it a little clear where the facts end and the opinion begins.   Either way - I'll still visit your blog.