Blackmagic respond to EOSHD about supporting existing cameras - audio levels and histograms on the way!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It is not an oversight, but a technical issue: they want to avoid media fragmentation which may result in unexpected recording stops.

No, I mean that it's a design oversight. I understand that as they had the cameras working before release, the ability to format/delete media might have caused fragmentation. But to then just say, "okay, forget it!"? That's pretty crazy.

• Administrators

No, I mean that it's a design oversight. I understand that as they had the cameras working before release, the ability to format/delete media might have caused fragmentation. But to then just say, "okay, forget it!"? That's pretty crazy.

I don't understand it either, I very rarely format my SSDs and usually delete the clips, sometimes individual ones, before putting the media back in the Blackmagic and it records just fine. Yes fragmentation does hit performance but does it really hit it to such a degree to impact a shoot? I've not see that. Are write speeds really so close to the limits of the drive for this even to be an issue? You just have to take Blackmagic's word for it that this is the case. I am sure on faster media with write speeds in excess of 550Mb/s even with a fragmented file system a continuous chunk of data should still be able to written at fast enough speeds to support 2K raw. Also on SDs and CFs with the Pocket camera and 5D Mark III in raw I have not had fragmentation impact any of my recordings yet.

• Administrators

I just got banned from BMCUser, so can't defend myself against what people are saying on this thread -

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?8830-Firmware-Updates-for-Existing-BM-Cameras/page8

In light of the email and what I have explained, would any EOSHD supporter be brave enough to step in here and tell the truth?

I'd be eternally grateful for it!

I don't understand it either, I very rarely format my SSDs and usually delete the clips, sometimes individual ones, before putting the media back in the Blackmagic and it records just fine. Yes fragmentation does hit performance but does it really hit it to such a degree to impact a shoot? I've not see that. Are write speeds really so close to the limits of the drive for this even to be an issue? You just have to take Blackmagic's word for it that this is the case. I am sure on faster media with write speeds in excess of 550Mb/s even with a fragmented file system a continuous chunk of data should still be able to written at fast enough speeds to support 2K raw. Also on SDs and CFs with the Pocket camera and 5D Mark III in raw I have not had fragmentation impact any of my recordings yet.

Are you recording in raw? And are you filling the card up before overwriting?

If i fill up my SSD, and then do a delete (without formatting), i am pretty much guaranteed to drop frames on my next shot. And i'm pretty sure the 100+ MB/s in close to the maximum write speed of the disks, so any fragmentation of the drive will lead to dropped frames.  

I just got banned from BMCUser, so can't defend myself against what people are saying on this thread -

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?8830-Firmware-Updates-for-Existing-BM-Cameras/page8

In light of the email and what I have explained, would any EOSHD supporter be brave enough to step in here and tell the truth?

I'd be eternally grateful for it!

I looked for your posts - were they deleted? Anyhow, I wouldn't sweat it, Andrew. With that and another forum dominated by the likes of pricks like Vic Harris (one of many poster/posers these days who begin every comment with 'dude', then proceed to berate other contributors), I wouldn't pay it any mind. 

• Administrators

Yes censored.

So I'll mention this on here instead...

A few years ago when I was starting EOSHD, I was banned from the DVXUser forum due to disagreements with some members and some of the moderating team. There was a bit of an element of a personality clash.

At the time I was also running some articles strongly critical of Red and their delays / price / spec changes with the Scarlet.

Landmine Media who run DVXUser actually went to Jim Jannard's legal department and together they sued me for $70,000.

Sued for forum posts and my own opinion at EOSHD.

In order to drop the case, Jim Jannard's lawyer said I would have to sign a non-disparagement agreement which I duly signed and faxed over under pressure of a very stressful court battle which I couldn't afford to defend myself over. I simply wanted a quiet life.

There's always been a very vocal anti-EOSHD group of users at DVX, BMCC and Personal-View. In recent months it has become borderline harassment.

I've been caused no end of stress from this and it is beginning to really get to me, personally and privately.

I hope this helps to give some perspective as to my strong feelings towards the BMCUser taunts.

People will always attack others who tell the truth.

I cannot speak for everyone on this forum, as I haven't been here very long, but I know of many people who greatly value your work, opinions, and willingness to look honestly at things, myself included.

The vocal minority is just that - small, but loud. I can't tell you to ignore them, as I wouldn't be able to either, but please know that most of us see it for what it is, and are on your side.

I don't see what the big deal is.  There is nothing wrong or misleading with the title of this article.  And this business about who posted what first...as if this is going into some official peer reviewed journal is laughable.  

Any forum named after a particular company or camera is very likely to be dominated by fanboyism for that company or camera.

People don't like to think they have spent money on the wrong thing so they justify their decisions by defending the product they own with little regard to the validity of the perceived attack.  You can always tell this because the comments are overly defensive and emotional.

I especially enjoy when videos from announced cameras come out that reveal an issue. (rainbow moire, sensor noise)  You can always tell who has pre-ordered the camera because they claim they cannot see the issue, or that it is illegitimate to make any negative observations because the four digit price is "so cheap".

Yes censored.

A few years ago when I was starting EOSHD, I was banned from the DVXUser forum due to disagreements with some members and some of the moderating team. There was a bit of an element of a personality clash.

At the time I was also running some articles strongly critical of Red and their delays / price / spec changes with the Scarlet.

Landmine Media who run DVXUser actually went to Jim Jannard's legal department and together they sued me for $70,000.

In order to drop the case, Jim Jannard's lawyer said I would have to sign a non-disparagement agreement which I duly signed and faxed over under pressure of a very stressful court battle which I couldn't afford to defend myself over. I simply wanted a quiet life.

There's always been a very vocal anti-EOSHD group of users at DVX, BMCC and Personal-View. In recent months it has become borderline harassment.

I've been caused no end of stress from this and it is beginning to really get to me, personally and privately.

I hope this helps to give some perspective as to my strong feelings towards the BMCUser taunts.

That's insane. I'd love to sue RED for pretty much everything that was ever posted on their forum.

Yes censored.

Its all part of the media critique bandwagon, anyone who is popular or runs anything popular will always come under harsh criticism. In the filmmaking blogging area, every blogger gets taunted, harassed and criticised for pretty much anything they say. 

A great way to explain it could be a front page news report, running an exclusive, saying "20 year old pop star needs rehab as she stumbles out of nightclub at 3am." My point is, hang on - she's 20 years old and stumbling out of nightclubs? NO WAY!! Anyone who is under the public eye will get daggers left, right and centre, just because its easy. 

@jonpais.... Dude isn't offensive if you use it in the context of The BIg Lebowski. ;)

• Administrators

"All part of the media critique bandwagon"

??

I could swear it felt more like harassment and abuse of the legal process to me.

But I will watch out for those paparazzi next time I stumble out of a nightclub at 3am in a miniskirt and flashbulbs popping, thanks for the advice Olly.

You should be glad to have readers who are vigilant about the integrity of your work.

Depends on how vigilant they are on the integrity of their own accusations really - the people in here throwing around accusations clearly didn't do the research they demanded of the site here, so they just came here, made some rude, unpleasant comments and are yet to apologise for the mistake they made and Captain hook really needs to research fair use for review purposes before making requests on behalf of someone else, in public in a clear attempt to stir the faeces.

"All part of the media critique bandwagon"

??

I could swear it felt more like harassment and abuse of the legal process to me.

But I will watch out for those paparazzi next time I stumble out of a nightclub at 3am in a miniskirt and flashbulbs popping, thanks for the advice Olly.

Thanks Andrew. 

I am the best person ever at advice, as I have clearly demonstrated. :) good luck with the minskirt. 

ONTO topic though.... er, firmware for Blackmagic. More colour temps would be handy.