Leica S medium format camera to feature 4K video

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
leica-s-front

Because full frame is just too small, Sony are supplying a 4K video capable sensor to Leica and Pentax in the region of 40 to 50MP. According to a Leica rep at NAB the company is planning 4K video for their implementation of the sensor in the Leica S. Indeed Pentax have already announced that their 645Z will record 4K video.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can't imagine that this first batch of medium format cameras will have much in the way of actual usable video, but if someone figures out how to do it right, then there's going to be a whole new world of possibilty opening up. I suppose I'll have to reserve judgement until there's actually some test footage out there.

Andrew  gives me a strong impression that he just want to push people to just get the gh4. His comments  always gives the vibe of  "as compared to the gh4". The thing is that the gh4 just doesnt work for everyone. Yes it is awesome, yes is amazingly priced, yes it gives amazing images.. etc.  but the problem is people have heavly invested on the canon lenses and some people dont want to sell their canon lenses to buy m43 lenses because m43 are less of a standard in case you want to upgrade later on. I could use my canon lenses on almost any camera but with m43 we simply cant. And yes the speedbooster exsist but we dont want to run through adapters and other quirky work arounds. There are just many things like this one i pointed out that are just too many problems...The thing is that i just want people to realize is that the gh4 is not perfect and you shouldnt just jump ship because of the hipe... and i know andrew is not puting a gun on anyones head to buy any one camera, hes just giving his opinion which is very valuable, I just feel like these articles are not as objective as they could be because of the hype. Just my two cents. 

the main issue with these cameras is that they use sensors which are not quite true medium format.  they're somewhere in between medium format and full frame.  they can have all the resolution in the world, but in order for the actual medium format look to be felt it needs the actual jump from full frame to medium format (6x6, or 4x4.5).  ie.  approx 55mm wide sensor area.  these miss the mark by 7mm and effectively it's like the difference between full frame and aps-c.  the fact that the lenses tend to be f2.8 fastest isnt a problem when you're using a true medium format frame, but once you crop away 7mm off the width the depth of field / field of view ratio isnt worth the lack of lens speed.  an 80mm f2.8 on medium format will smoke a 50mm f1.2 on full frame in terms of overall 'big' feeling (due the the in/out of focus separation being that much more beautiful when rendered with a longer focal length) while matching the field of view and depth of field.   The same 80mm f2.8 lens on the 'almost' medium format sensors of these new breed of so called medium format cameras therefore no longer quite competes against the 50mm f1.2 on full frame - a combination now easily accessible thanks to the A7S.

Come back to me when someone creates a proper 55x55mm sensor and a set of anamorphics to suit:)  

Let's be frank, Edry, Canon has failed to innovate in the prosumer market since the release of the 5D Mk2, but you're still holding out hope that they will drop a high-value hybrid camera with an EF mount onto the market - which is why you still keep that glass around.  After watching them continue to fail in that regard, my advice is don't hold your breath!

ETA: Redrock already has an adapter for you if Canon glass is your holy grail. http://store.redrockmicro.com/livelensmft

the main issue with these cameras is that they use sensors which are not quite true medium format.  they're somewhere in between medium format and full frame.  they can have all the resolution in the world, but in order for the actual medium format look to be felt it needs the actual jump from full frame to medium format (6x6, or 4x4.5).  ie.  approx 55mm wide sensor area.  these miss the mark by 7mm and effectively it's like the difference between full frame and aps-c.  the fact that the lenses tend to be f2.8 fastest isnt a problem when you're using a true medium format frame, but once you crop away 7mm off the width the depth of field / field of view ratio isnt worth the lack of lens speed.  an 80mm f2.8 on medium format will smoke a 50mm f1.2 on full frame in terms of overall 'big' feeling (due the the in/out of focus separation being that much more beautiful when rendered with a longer focal length) while matching the field of view and depth of field.   The same 80mm f2.8 lens on the 'almost' medium format sensors of these new breed of so called medium format cameras therefore no longer quite competes against the 50mm f1.2 on full frame - a combination now easily accessible thanks to the A7S.

Come back to me when someone creates a proper 55x55mm sensor and a set of anamorphics to suit:)  

Square would be great indeed. Btw, I placed a isco blue star in front of a mamiya rz67 with a 110 2.8 

and it doesn't vignette as much as it does on a 60mm in full frame, if you crop to 16:9 you wouldn't see it. I can imagine a iscorama 54 or even 36 will do wonders.

One thing that makes medium format shine against 35mm 3:2, is the aspect ratio. 6:7 or 6x6 gives you a much wider view compared to 3:2, this is also what gives the extra shallow depth of field. So when you shoot a 44mm wide sensor in 16:9 aspect ratio the medium format lenses won't really shine, even with 54mm backs it still wouldn't be comparable to the sensation you get with 6x7. 

Obviously if you haven't worked with 6x7 stills you probably won't miss it, and the depth of field works a lot nicer, so you can shoot wide open with the background blurred out and still have the relevant things in nice focus (it just looks so great).

Another nice thing about medium format is that most good lenses cover a lot more than they need, so you don't get the ugly cat eyes in the corner specular bokehs (like on the 50 0.95 noct, which looks horrible to me).

Leica and digital is a great laugh. Like really... those cameras including S have ISO perfomance of 5D mk1. But it's good to see medium format going video route too. Have to start with something.

And spot on Andrew. SpeedBooster for FF using medium format glass is the dream.

p.s. Back in the day 6x45 was the lower limit for medium format so yeah Leica and Pentax, PR stuff.

Let's be frank, Edry, Canon has failed to innovate in the prosumer market since the release of the 5D Mk2, but you're still holding out hope that they will drop a high-value hybrid camera with an EF mount onto the market - which is why you still keep that glass around.  After watching them continue to fail in that regard, my advice is don't hold your breath!

ETA: Redrock already has an adapter for you if Canon glass is your holy grail. http://store.redrockmicro.com/livelensmft

I would agree with you canon has failed to innovate.. and it bothers me a lot. However I wouldnt call the  "C" cameras a failure they are many advantages to them and a lot of people swear by them..In all honesty i think they are great cameras just overpriced. I think you also seemed to dismiss what i said about running my lenses through adapters.. i just dont want to do that. At some point 5d type cam will shoot 4k the a7s almost had me if it would have shot 4k...so this doesnt it mean it cant happen, lets not forget that the 1dc was the first dslr to shoot 4k and you cant deny the footage is beautiful but it is deff overpriced.. with that said I think these cameras are great in terms of pushing the markets. It will push canon to come along and do their game, i guess they are just not ready for it right now and thats a shame, they could have owned the market. I think my main message is dont get caught up on these cameras hype right now and sell all your current lenses for m43 lenses.. I think you will kick yourself later on if canon or sony comes around another camera that isnt m43 that shoots 4k and it is affordable. I dont know if you noticed or not but theres even rumors that this is the last m43 cam from panasonic.. so yeah.   

Andrew gives me a strong impression that he just want to push people to just get the gh4. His comments always gives the vibe of "as compared to the gh4". The thing is that the gh4 just doesnt work for everyone. Yes it is awesome, yes is amazingly priced, yes it gives amazing images.. etc. but the problem is people have heavly invested on the canon lenses and some people dont want to sell their canon lenses to buy m43 lenses because m43 are less of a standard in case you want to upgrade later on. I could use my canon lenses on almost any camera but with m43 we simply cant. And yes the speedbooster exsist but we dont want to run through adapters and other quirky work arounds. There are just many things like this one i pointed out that are just too many problems...The thing is that i just want people to realize is that the gh4 is not perfect and you shouldnt just jump ship because of the hipe... and i know andrew is not puting a gun on anyones head to buy any one camera, hes just giving his opinion which is very valuable, I just feel like these articles are not as objective as they could be because of the hype. Just my two cents.

The "I have canon lenses" argument is not an argument IMO. You can sell them!
And when Andrew said his review are objective?