S1H ii

MrSMW

I’m not an especially big fan of rumors, but without any official announcements, it’s the next best thing. Maybe...

L Mount Rumors (no idea really how reputable or accurate they are) are reporting this however: https://www.l-rumors.com/l2-first-rumored-panasonic-s1h-ii-specs-8k24p-and-built-in-nd/

I don’t really care about 8k, in fact not at all, other than if as a by product of the sensor/tech, it brings improvements in other areas.

But improved IBIS (IMO, doesn’t need it as it’s already brilliant) and internal ND. Yup, we’ll have that.

France has just announced a 10 day quarantine for all visitors from the UK, so that will almost certainly kill what remained of this season so looks like we’re going to go 2 years with no weddings here.

The upside is no requirement for any new/further kit this year. If you can call that an upside...

If this thing can be here by early next Spring, I’ll take one without question. 
For me, just needs improved AF and the internal ND would be a bonus/icing on the cake.

Without question, the S1H is the best camera I have had, stills and video.

On a 2 day ‘editorial wedding/venue shoot’ right now, had one last Sat and another this Sunday and it’s just doing the business other than an occasional AF wobble.

OK, a bit more than occasional. Using a lot of manual focus but that’s OK and makes me a proper pro ‘filmmaker’ doesn’t it 😉

Using the S5 also but it just isn’t in the same league and dare I say, even feels a little clunky in comparison. Probably enhanced because the S1H is on another level of slickness.

Anyway, S1H ii, have at it!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That site is run by 43rumors so they're fairly reliable, though that L2 rating means it's from a unverified source. 

The S1H still feels fairly new, so I'm not sure that it'll be coming within the next year. That seems awfully fast.

I wish there was a way to gauge how well their full frame cameras have done. That would be my primary concern when it comes to going that route; is it a healthy system to invest in? Will it be around for a long time? 

7 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

wish there was a way to gauge how well their full frame cameras have done. That would be my primary concern when it comes to going that route; is it a healthy system to invest in? Will it be around for a long time? 

Yes it is a concern (to me) but only a very very minor one.

Unless they did decide to pull the plug on the whole alliance, I don’t think there is much chance of them packing it all in any time soon. Not based on any fact, just personal opinion.

I think if they just sorted the damned AF, or at least the reputation of the AF, they would do themselves a massive favour.

Improve the marketing a bit at the same time and it’s arguably the best system out there. Again, just personal opinion.

6 hours ago, ntblowz said:

To have build in ND it will probably look like C70, those ND filter need space to put in and out.

I am pretty sure that Matt Frazer from Panasonic here in the USA said the reason the current S series of cameras don't have built-in ND filters is because they have a mechanical shutter, and to put in a built in ND they would need to remove the mechanical shutter. So they might not be all that much different in terms of shape / size with a built-in ND.

This would be an instant buy. Hope its true!

I have no use for 8k but 4k 180p absolutely. Internal ND's also absolutely. Hopefully its a 10 stop ND. Thats considering this is in anyway true lol.

Panasonic has the best image in the sub 10k category IMO.

The S1H was my weapon of choice when it came to professional work the image and DR was and still is outstanding. 

What id love to see in the mark ii version is internal ND or electric 

And bump in DR 16? Why not 

I care less about 8k or 10k 100%of people today  watch on phones or monitors that aren't 8k. 

The other thing about the S1H is it's overlooked by just about everybody as a photo camera.

I'm not sure how it's marketed without checking, but my 99% of everything coming from everyone who is not Panasonic is that it's primarily a video tool.

It's a bloody good photo camera I can tell you!

I really liked the files coming out of my previous Fujis, but the raws from this are another level up.

And the fact it has an optical low pass filter and therefore is supposedly less sharp, good, - results coming from most cameras and glass these days are far too sharp!

I shoot mine with an 1/8th mist filter also and in post, stills get a -20% clarity reduction automatically in Lightroom.

The one thing I would not mind though are a few more megapixels...

If the next gen has anything around 30-40, that would be fine with me. Anything over is getting a bit too much for my needs and these 60-100mp monsters...well I can appreciate why some might like/need them, but not for me. For 95% of my work that is and for that 5% I do, tripod and hi res mode et voila.

12 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

I care less about 8k or 10k 100%of people today  watch on phones or monitors that aren't 8k. 

8K or 10K is not about delivering at those resolutions: it's about shooting at those resolutions and delivering in 4K or even 1080p. It gives you many more options in terms of cropping and framing. This is the big selling point of the Blackmagic Design Ursa Mini 12K, apart from the image quality from its sensor -- nobody is delivering 12K footage.