Gauging the reaction to the Panasonic GH6

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From Panasonic's Official Press Release:

"Providing 4:2:2 10-bit DCI 4K/60p recording capability, the LUMIX GH6 achieves unlimited video recording when the camera is used under the certified operating temperature. It is reliable enough to record continuous footage for a desired duration. It also provides a 10-bit 4K 120p High Frame Rate (HFR) and Variable Frame Rate (VFR) for high resolution slow/quick motion video. Moreover, the GH6 records 10-bit 5.7K 60p video by taking full advantage of the newly developed Micro Four Thirds sensor."

I shared the photos of literature of the new 20MP M43 sensor of Sony (IMX472) because I suspect the GH6 will have equally quick readout speed or one that is extremely similar, even if the resolution different is 4-6MP. Which is about Double of the GH5, being 12-bit Full Res at 120fps. I am guessing the GH6's sensor will have a similar 12-bit 120fps at 4k, but Panasonic will limit the bit depth to 10-bit, either to protect the S1H and EVA, or because of the absurd Red's patent for Internal RAW recording. If its the 2nd, Panasonic should Create a miniature the  Yagh module, with a 1Tb SSD, 5G antenna and an SoC to create lossless compressed RAW.

I am very curious to know whether the GH6 will have higher dynamic range and better highlight handling and noise pattern, and by how much. Apparently, the low light improvement between the GH4 and GH5 is about 1.5 stops, though the dynamic range difference is only 0.2 Stops according to DXOmark(though the GH4 is extremely noisy in most ISOs according to some users). Noise itself (at SNR of 2), may make the dynamic range difference a lot more. Maybe if the noise is a lot more controlled on the GH6, the video dynamic range should be a lot more (?)

Would also love to see a Video Recorder in the GX7 size with the 20MP full Res 120fps sensor (with 10-bit video at 4k 120fps), with a multi articulating screen like on the S1H and EVF like on the GX7. With great AF and great IBIS, it could be a great camera for Vloggers and Guerilla and Emerging Budget Filmmakers. It could be a good addition to the GH6, possibly with slightly better low light capabilities. 

s-3.JPG.jpg

s-2.JPG.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I  have been thinking about the increased processing, and the possibility of processing the video frames in camera.

Slow motion footage consists of monitoring frames at 24fps (for simplicity) when shot at a faster rate, if Panasonic (with their pixel binning experience) could drop frames but still produce a slow motion stream that could be monitored, streamed and maybe also recorded on an external ssd. Not sure if it's possible, but it would be a very impressive feature to monitor in slow motion, and open up some interesting creative potential 🙂   

10 hours ago, matthere said:

I  have been thinking about the increased processing, and the possibility of processing the video frames in camera.

Slow motion footage consists of monitoring frames at 24fps (for simplicity) when shot at a faster rate, if Panasonic (with their pixel binning experience) could drop frames but still produce a slow motion stream that could be monitored, streamed and maybe also recorded on an external ssd. Not sure if it's possible, but it would be a very impressive feature to monitor in slow motion, and open up some interesting creative potential 🙂   

Sounds like a complete waste of time.  Within seconds you'd be monitoring stuff that happened (in real life) seconds ago.  How would you even know where to point the camera?  Am I missing something here? 

1 hour ago, Mmmbeats said:

Sounds like a complete waste of time.  Within seconds you'd be monitoring stuff that happened (in real life) seconds ago.  How would you even know where to point the camera?  Am I missing something here? 

That was my initial thinking but I think they are talking about outputting slow motion to an external recorder and are using "monitor" in a different context. 

On 6/13/2021 at 11:38 PM, newfoundmass said:

Either way, in addition to processing power, I imagine you'd need a huge buffer to handle outputting slow motion via HDMI unless it was limited to a couple seconds. 

The thought was is the processing on the camera could create a stream of frames at the time of shooting, for example:

Shooting at 96fps for 24fps footage, the camera binning frames and recording / monitoring without a buffer.

Camera monitors and records frames 1, 5, 9, 13.....

Dropping frames 2,3,4,6,7,8,10,11,12,14,15,16

There would be some motion blur to consider but you would always be binning frames so there would be some time in between frames for that to be processed.

@Mmmbeats does raise an interesting question about getting ones head around the visuals that are not real time, but imagine that you could control the flow of frames (time) using the joystick on the back of the camera or something similar.

On 6/15/2021 at 2:47 PM, matthere said:

The thought was is the processing on the camera could create a stream of frames at the time of shooting, for example:

Shooting at 96fps for 24fps footage, the camera binning frames and recording / monitoring without a buffer.

Camera monitors and records frames 1, 5, 9, 13.....

Dropping frames 2,3,4,6,7,8,10,11,12,14,15,16

There would be some motion blur to consider but you would always be binning frames so there would be some time in between frames for that to be processed.

@Mmmbeats does raise an interesting question about getting ones head around the visuals that are not real time, but imagine that you could control the flow of frames (time) using the joystick on the back of the camera or something similar.

I'm having deja-vu as I swear someone has asked this question before, and it made no sense then or now.

What are you trying to achieve?  and how is this not achieved by shooting 24p with a short shutter speed?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, kye said:

I'm having deja-vu as I swear someone has asked this question before, and it made no sense then or now.

What are you trying to achieve?  and how is this not achieved by shooting 24p with a short shutter speed?

You might be thinking of the minor diversion in the GX80 Cinelike D thread where someone wanted to build a slow motion photo booth-ish type of device and monitor whilst still shooting.

The solution I proposed was to use a FlashAir card in the camera as this can be recording the file but simultaneously be accessed by another device over wifi to begin playing it whilst is still recording.

So a cheap SBC computer like a Pi with a network media player on it and a screen would be able to monitor it and then re-stream it if necessary online.

Can't remember whether they went ahead with it in the end or whether they are just still waiting for the file to finish playing back.

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

You might be thinking of the minor diversion in the GX80 Cinelike D thread where someone wanted to build a slow motion photo booth-ish type of device and monitor whilst still shooting.

The solution I proposed was to use a FlashAir card in the camera as this can be recording the file but simultaneously be accessed by another device over wifi to begin playing it whilst is still recording.

So a cheap SBC computer like a Pi with a network media player on it and a screen would be able to monitor it and then re-stream it if necessary online.

Can't remember whether they went ahead with it in the end or whether they are just still waiting for the file to finish playing back.

That sounds like it!

Anyone who has recorded sports in 120p (or more) and then had to review the footage in post will know that slow-motion is no joke...  for every second of 120p you watch at 24p, you get 4 seconds further behind!

• 2 weeks later...