New GH Series Cameras (Plural)! Live stream here

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

"New GH series cameras" - notice the plural - are coming. I'll be in the YouTube chat bar to watch with you all.

My hopes and dreams are:

GH6 development announcement with some key details - Internal ProRes 10bit and RAW recording would be great to compete with Blackmagic & Canon. 4K/120fps to compete with Sony. Internal ND filter would be fantastic. We can but keep our fingers and toes crossed!

GH5 II revealed in full, I don't think it's going to be a big leap from the original model but USB charging is certainly welcome and maybe Panasonic can surprise us with something else useful?

GH5S firmware 2.0 and G9 firmware update 2.4 could bring some interesting features including ProRes RAW via HDMI!

New lenses?

Maybe another GH series camera aside from the GH6 and GH5 II? According to the teaser we are getting at least 2 cameras.

The live presentation starts at 15:00 GMT (London) and 10:00 ET.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hopefully that 5.7K on the GH6 is internal RAW.

The 25-50mm f1.7 is a pleasant surprise. It and the 10-25mm will be a great, but expensive, two lens setup. I'm not sure it makes much of a compelling difference to a FF 24-105mm f4...apart from maybe offering 20mm on the wide end.

Also lets not forget Panasonic always holds back for future firmware updates. Really, really hope GH6 has PDAF.

Live-streaming is a smart pivot for these cameras for sure.

Go Panasonic!

Some real positives here. I feel better, though obviously I'd have loved more information. The stream mentioned they're targeting the GH6 for $2500, which I expected but also was hoping they'd go closer to $2000 to $2200.

Kinda bummed that the 12-35mm and 35-100mm version 1 lenses won't be updated to support the new manual focusing features, since I have one of each. 

I'd love to be able to put down the change for the 10-25 and the 25-50 lenses but those prices are a bit hard to swallow. 

14 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

5.7k suggest it will be a 24mp sensor.  I was hoping for confirmation of sensor speed readout but we don't know if the 4k/120p is cropping.

I think 24MP is plenty for a MFT camera. I suspect 120p won't be cropped. There are so many things they could improve to make a better camera:

• Bright, higher definition LCD somewhere around 800nits and 3.5" or larger.
  • Phase Detect Autofocus with eye, face, body tracking. Animal AF a bonus!
  • Internal RAW
  • High dynamic range (12.7 - 14 stops)
  • Internal ND
  • Refined color science
  • Smaller than a C70

Basically make a better, smaller Canon C70--with a viewfinder!

52 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

The 25-50mm f1.7 is a pleasant surprise. It and the 10-25mm will be a great, but expensive, two lens setup. I'm not sure it makes much of a compelling difference to a FF 24-105mm f4...apart from maybe offering 20mm on the wide end.

Depending on size, it would work for me. The cost for a business is a bit of a side issue and not especially an obstacle.

I've been looking at the APSC crop pairing of the Sigma 18-35mm and 50-100mm f1.8 for my FF system but in the end decided the bigger of the two zooms is just too massive.

Had the 18-35 (twice) and loved it. Might...might just get one again for my S1H.

I love their internal none extending zoom function however and if something similar bit smaller & lighter than the FF 24-105mm f4 is on the cards, it is several points in the favour of 4/3rds for me. I don't mind it's 2 lenses as I'd use the wider indoors and the longer out as I do with my current lens lineup.

I have the 24-105mm f4 and it's just a back up lens for me. F4 is just too flipping slow for my needs. Even 2.8 on FF is a bit too slow. Not talking shallow DOF, but simply the light gathering capability. 

I do have a business case to keep the S1H for stills next year, the S5 for pure static video on the tripod of up to 30 mins and GH6 for pure video. But the AF would need to be amazeballs to convince me really.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

I think 24MP is plenty for a MFT camera. I suspect 120p won't be cropped. There are so many things they could improve to make a better camera:

• Bright, higher definition LCD somewhere around 800nits and 3.5" or larger.
  • Phase Detect Autofocus with eye, face, body tracking. Animal AF a bonus!
  • Internal RAW
  • High dynamic range (12.7 - 14 stops)
  • Internal ND
  • Refined color science
  • Smaller than a C70

Basically make a better, smaller Canon C70--with a viewfinder!

5.7K is plenty. I'm glad they didn't go 8K.

4K/120p is much more dramatic looking than 8K. Great for cinema.

I agree on all your wish list points. Some good stuff there.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I've been looking at the APSC crop pairing of the Sigma 18-35mm and 50-100mm f1.8 for my FF system but in the end decided the bigger of the two zooms is just too massive.

They are very heavy too. Great lenses, but may as well go FF now.

Micro Four Thirds can be more extremely small and light.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I do have a business case to keep the S1H for stills next year, the S5 for pure static video on the tripod of up to 30 mins and GH6 for pure video. But the AF would need to be amazeballs to convince me really.

AF is top of my list too. Let's hope they offer both DFD and phase-detect AF.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Wait till you see how much they love Atomos? I'm going to be tied up with HDMI cables forever it seems (for ProRes or RAW)

I'm guessing they don't want to pay the licensing fee, so they let Atomos eat that expense and they can reap the "benefit." I just don't understand the logic behind getting these small, lightweight cameras and then putting a recorder on top of it. I'm glad it's an option but it's really not something that I want to deal with. 

But for most people phase detect autofocus would be the priority. (GH6)

That right there was why I walked away from buying an S1H and eventually sold my GH5. I really loved the ecosystem and Panasonic's approach to continuous firmware updates… but once I used Sony's eye detect AF I realized how poor the contrast detect AF really is.

19 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

We don't really know enough about the GH6, but 5.7k 60p and 4K 120p are both great. I'd wait before calling it underwhelming. 

Why do you need to shoot 5.7k instead of UHD? I don’t see the point of all of these cameras that situate themselves within the benchmark standards. If this was an alternate camera to their main line (like the GH5s) then yeah, it makes sense. For the GH6 it just doesn’t do enough differently to justify its place. Especially when you consider what other companies are doing. 

IBIS in the GH5 and 10 bit 4K in camera were game changing. There’s nothing here (so far) that is game changing. 5.7k 60 is nice, sure. “Nice” doesn’t spur me to spend money.

32 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

You mean the GH5 II or GH6?

GH6. It feels like the GH2-GH3 update. I remember being blown away by the GH2 and then didn’t give a single thought to buying the GH3. After this amount of time I expected some innovative stuff. This feels like something that was done in 2019 and is just now seeing the light of day because of Covid.

Overall, I'm pretty jazzed for the GH6 as an upgrade for my GH5.

Key improvements for me are:

• 4k 120fps in 10 bit 420
  • 4k 60fps in 10 bit 422
  • Open Gate (my favorite way to shoot my GH5) 5.7k 60fps in 10 bit 420
  • All new color engine built from ground up.  I'm hoping this means rec2020 gamut with full VLOG.

If Panasonic is listening, I hope we'll get a 24-30 fps version of 5.7k Open Gate shooting with 10 bit 422.  That would be pretty amazing for greenscreen and high detail capture.

All in all though this adds some some nice flexibility for high framerate capture in 10 bit which is all I've really been pining for beyond full VLOG.

It's also nice to know the MFT format is not being abandoned by Panasonic.

10 minutes ago, Neumann Films said:

Why do you need to shoot 5.7k instead of UHD? I don’t see the point of all of these cameras that situate themselves within the benchmark standards.

I think it just adds flexibility in post. 

You can sample the full image down in post to a 4k image, or you can do a 1:1 pixel center extraction of a 4k image.  Or you can reposition your 4k image and pan and scan inside the 5.7k camture.  Or you can apply post stabilization pass without cropping in on a 4k extracted image.

Of course it is also helpful for anamorphic.