GH5s to get raw output

Chrad

According to Nokishita via 43 Rumors.

Very interesting. I wonder how it will stack up against the Pocket 4K's Braw, with the sensor output now freed from the GH5s heavy internal processing.

Also makes me think that the pandemic must have done a number on their ability to produce a GH6. With this, another update to G9 and the GH5mkII, it looks like they're trying to squeeze as much life as possible out of the old models.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

This is a nice surprise for those GH5s owners. Would've been cool if they pushed it to GH5 owners too, but I'm guessing they're saving that for the GH5ii. 

The GH5s and G9 have more recent, faster processing than the GH5 - hence there have been more performance upgrades via firmware updates for those two versus the GH5. I guess the new GH5 ii probably has (at least) the processing and IBIS from the G9 combined with the better thermal management of the GH5 to allow unlimited recording times.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Chrad said:

First footage.

Looks great to me. Detail, noise and dynamic range look very BMPCC4K like, as I'd hoped.

Well... apparently I am a total wimp now.

I tried watching that video and had to stop after about 50 seconds due to the lack of stabilization. 

I don't need it to be perfectly smooth, but maybe if they had used a shoulder rig or something I could have watched the whole thing.

Also, couldn't tell if they were trying to dance or if the guy was practicing being a chiropractor. Those were some mighty cringe dance moves. 

Atomos did better with their promo of the polish GH5 production, promoting 10bit 4K60p recording with the Inferno. It was called born for the sabre. This looks rather generic and image quality does not wow me. Title is corny. And if showing a maiden, there are so many other great examples with poetic power. This is rather ordinary to my eyes.

13 hours ago, Chrad said:

I just like that on first impression it lacks that immediately recognisable overly sharpened camcorderesque look that it's typically hard to get away from on the GH5/S.

Shot on vintage glass I think, and likely with filtration too.  Available on Vimeo too by the way.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Chrad said:

I just like that on first impression it lacks that immediately recognisable overly sharpened camcorderesque look that it's typically hard to get away from on the GH5/S.

Correction.

YOUTUBE.

On 6/9/2021 at 5:33 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

I don't need it to be perfectly smooth, but maybe if they had used a shoulder rig or something I could have watched the whole thing.

IKR? At first I thought my monitor frequency had been changed or that the camera must have 1950s level stabilisation. But no - it was just really badly (in the context of stabilisation) shot. A shame.