Out-of-focus zombies

Tim Sewell

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Canon dream lenses did give the film an interesting and unique look. It's the first time I've seen a major production embracing the quirks and 'character' of an exotic vintage photographic lens. Couple that with the overuse of shooting wide open and it's like a strange hybrid of studio and DSLR filmmaking.

I can understand wanting to make the characteristics that only appear at F0.95 a major part of the aesthetic, but it was still misguided to shoot everything wide open. It creates the impression that a lot of the real sets are CGI, and generally it looks a lot better in close-ups than mids and wides.

But, at least its unique.

37 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Aside from the shallow dof issue, how about the humor of this piece?

I’m old.  I don’t trust that my preferences resonate with other’s.  

So, funny or not?  I found it so annoying I stopped watching after a minute. 

I thought it caught a particularly Hollywood-style boosterism and ignorance rather well.

6 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

I thought it caught a particularly Hollywood-style boosterism and ignorance rather well.

Yeah, but aside from agreeing with the sentiment, is it effectively amusing?

For me this video misses opportunities at solid jokes and just constantly leans on the premise you mentioned.

Its like SNL doing political personalities. Just because you do a impression doesn’t make it funny...needs interesting humor beyond the initial novelty.

Watched the video, haven't watched the film, thought that the video was funny and made me glad I didn't watch the movie.

It reminded me of this video:

Of course, I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy, but he does have a point about movie making and editing and story...

I enjoyed it, thought it was thoroughly enjoyable. 

The thing is, the audience doesn’t care about vintage lenses and dead pixels. Only a tiny niche of people do.

Sure, the shallow aesthetic was noticeable to me, but that’s only because my eye is trained to see it. But I thought it looked quite “dead eyed”, and complimented the theme of the film well. 

Also, this was a film where you come to see very powerful zombies fucking shit up, and it does that very well.

I personally don’t want to see deep storylines here, I want to see the chief zombie riding a zombie horse and causing absolute carnage. 

Also, for what’s it’s worth, there is some reference to Synder’s loss of his daughter which was a nice touch (if you know about it). 

It’s a bold, fun movie, uniquely shot in shallow DOF where cool shit happens and nothing more. Top job. 

Something I find interesting is how many have commented on the distractingly shallow depth of field, but I haven't seen anyone comment on another characteristic of this F0.95 wide-open shooting...the softness, which was to me very noticeable in wide shots. 

Goes to show that we gear-nerds and pixel peepers get way too hung up on technical perfection. I suppose it's different if you're doing product shots or ads that are trying to project a clinically cutting-edge image, but the majority of the time, no one cares that much as long as the image registers. See also on Netflix the grain storm of the 4K scanned 16mm for the new Master of None show. It blows my mind when people call images with some small, gently buzzing noise in the shadows 'unusable'.

I enjoyed the movie and to see this kind of lenses in a movie like this one was kinda refreshing.

Sure, the plot wasn´t exactly deep and there was no hidden meaning behind all of it.

Still, I like Snyder´s visual sense a lot, even though I´d like to see him more in the directors chair and responsible for the visuals, compared to him writing the screenplays of his movies.

Nevertheless, I was entertained and liked the look of the movie.

You could see this style in the epilogue of his justice league, that he shot himself.

The shallow DOF WAS ridiculous but overall I'm not sure what people were expecting from the film. It was meant to be dumb fun and it was pretty successful at it. My biggest complaint was they didn't make better use of the Vegas premise. With all the other nonsensical stuff, that there wasn't a brightly colored scene on the Vegas strip at night with all the lights going and just utter total mayhem happening is inexcusable. 

On 5/27/2021 at 1:27 PM, Chrad said:

Goes to show that we gear-nerds and pixel peepers get way too hung up on technical perfection.

There's no such thing as technical perfection, only how well the technical choices support the content / context.

It's like asking what size paint brush is the best - very different answers if you're going to paint detail on a miniature, the face on a portrait, or blast a flat colour on the side of a building.

Any time someone rates a piece of equipment out of context they're substituting in their own context without mentioning it.  Sadly, that context is often to brag about their equipment on the internet.

Speaking of Zombies... anybody else... well, here comes the disclaimer: I'm not crazy or anything 😄
And, it doesn't have to be Zombies, but anyone else had a conversation with anyone about possible end-of-world events that may happen in our lifetimes and is any of us preparing??? Like canned beans and a bunker?

I had this discussion with my wife after successfully growing kidney beans for my kid's Grade 1 project. I was like.... "hey if shit goes down... at least we got that and we can grow that...." and she was like "may be we should get more seeds [of other veggies] and canned foods".

Lets be honest, there are too many people in this world (Nearing 8 billion worldwide??)... and well... God is shooting all kinds of shit at us to get the population down. I don't know what the exact stats are now with Covid-19.... but before the pandemic it was like for every second - 4.3 babies are born; and for that same second 1.8 people die. At some point - there is going to be some sort of major correction and/or world event where for every 4.3 babies being born... 43 people will die (just shooting some random number out there).

Hey.... I'm just starting the conversation.... I don't have a bunker or getaway.... but every once in a while I look into getting a fully armored hummer to get the hell out of here. Anyone else? Or is it just paranoid old me???

3 hours ago, mkabi said:

Speaking of Zombies... anybody else... well, here comes the disclaimer: I'm not crazy or anything 😄
And, it doesn't have to be Zombies, but anyone else had a conversation with anyone about possible end-of-world events that may happen in our lifetimes and is any of us preparing??? Like canned beans and a bunker?

I had this discussion with my wife after successfully growing kidney beans for my kid's Grade 1 project. I was like.... "hey if shit goes down... at least we got that and we can grow that...." and she was like "may be we should get more seeds [of other veggies] and canned foods".

Lets be honest, there are too many people in this world (Nearing 8 billion worldwide??)... and well... God is shooting all kinds of shit at us to get the population down. I don't know what the exact stats are now with Covid-19.... but before the pandemic it was like for every second - 4.3 babies are born; and for that same second 1.8 people die. At some point - there is going to be some sort of major correction and/or world event where for every 4.3 babies being born... 43 people will die (just shooting some random number out there).

Hey.... I'm just starting the conversation.... I don't have a bunker or getaway.... but every once in a while I look into getting a fully armored hummer to get the hell out of here. Anyone else? Or is it just paranoid old me???

Just speaking for myself here, but if anything is going to push me over the edge into prepping, it's f0.95 in a Hollywood film.

3 hours ago, mkabi said:

....but seriously though, the earths population is going to peak and stabilise.  The total output of the worlds land will eventually stabilise.  It's likely that our energy usage will continue to grow, but assuming we're still around, that will shift to being sustainable and so that won't drive the economy nearly in the same way that population growth does.  

This means we're headed for the transition from growth-based economics to steady-state donut-based economics (no, I'm not kidding, it really is called that, see here for more info!).  If you think that COVID has put some challenges in our path then go read about the Spanish Flu and realise that this thing is a head-cold in comparison to that horror movie**, and then think for a minute that the transition from growth to donut economies will be the first time this has ever happened in the history of humanity.

** by the way, there's a bunch of evidence that suggests that the Spanish Flu might have been the inspiration for the entire horror movie genre, as it happened shortly before cinema was really established, and if you read the reports about the symptoms they sound very similar to the average horror movie.