Andrew's vintage lens guide

ShaunC

Is it just me? But I can't seem to find my copy. I bought Andrew's guide to vintage lenses quite a few years back. In my opinion it was the best guide in this space that I'd seen. Is it not for sale anymore? Or am I just not looking in the right place? In any case, it should be on sale, and an updated version would be well received! Or are we all over vintage lenses?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, kye said:

Interest in vintage lenses is directly correlated to sensor resolution, so it's up up up up up.......

I saw a post the other day from someone saying that the second-hand price of one particular vintage lens had gone up 4X in about the last year.

I am taking my FD 24 1.4 L to Sydney to a major camera store for them to sell on consignment... I will not get anywhere near th $4000 minimum they seem to go for on Ebay but I expect to get enough for a decent portrait lens or a decent (older) FF camera or even a Sony Rx10 iv.

8 hours ago, noone said:

I am taking my FD 24 1.4 L to Sydney to a major camera store for them to sell on consignment... I will not get anywhere near th $4000 minimum they seem to go for on Ebay but I expect to get enough for a decent portrait lens or a decent (older) FF camera or even a Sony Rx10 iv.

i reckon, youll hate yourself later. 🤔 still good luck with the sale.

14 hours ago, kye said:

Interest in vintage lenses is directly correlated to sensor resolution, so it's up up up up up.......

I saw a post the other day from someone saying that the second-hand price of one particular vintage lens had gone up 4X in about the last year.

they have all gone up 🙄 i am looking at buying one fast 50mm f1.2 then I'm calling it quits on lenses. Well thats the intention anyway 😉

• Administrators
On 5/19/2021 at 11:13 AM, ShaunC said:

Is it just me? But I can't seem to find my copy. I bought Andrew's guide to vintage lenses quite a few years back. In my opinion it was the best guide in this space that I'd seen. Is it not for sale anymore? Or am I just not looking in the right place? In any case, it should be on sale, and an updated version would be well received! Or are we all over vintage lenses?

DM me and I'll send you a new download link!

8 hours ago, leslie said:

they have all gone up 🙄 i am looking at buying one fast 50mm f1.2 then I'm calling it quits on lenses. Well thats the intention anyway 😉

I think the phrase you're looking for is "I'm not addicted.  I can stop any time I like."

im not addicted. I just want one of every interesting lens, that  i can lay my hands on 😇

google is no longer my friend. Accidently found a nikon lens that flares with lots of little circles. i will say that i am somewhat enamored with lens flares.  Its price is quite realistic, cheaper that the last couple of lenses i have bought anyway. So it will most likely get added to the collection. In the meantime i'm sposed to be saving for  btm's miraculous p4k lens controller thingy but lenses keep getting in the way. 🙄 

Nikonflares.jpg

36 minutes ago, leslie said:

im not addicted. I just want one of every interesting lens, that  i can lay my hands on 😇

google is no longer my friend. Accidently found a nikon lens that flares with lots of little circles. i will say that i am somewhat enamored with lens flares.  Its price is quite realistic, cheaper that the last couple of lenses i have bought anyway. So it will most likely get added to the collection. In the meantime i'm sposed to be saving for  btm's miraculous p4k lens controller thingy but lenses keep getting in the way. 🙄 

Nikonflares.jpg

Well, I'd be careful is they're using that image as the selling point. It looked familiar to me and that's because it has been around a while. Vintage lenses for Video uses it for one of their early (and very good) posts. You can find it here. https://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com/4-lenses-with-amazing-lens-flare/

5 hours ago, ShaunC said:

Well, I'd be careful is they're using that image as the selling point. It looked familiar to me and that's because it has been around a while. Vintage lenses for Video uses it for one of their early (and very good) posts. You can find it here. https://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com/4-lenses-with-amazing-lens-flare/

be careful of what ?  if i can acheive some thing similar i'll be happy. I know its a vintage lens and price wise its the cheapest lens, i have actually come across in quite some time.  You can watch  a bunch of youtubes on lens reviews and they'll all say they got it cheap and then you go search for it, its 4 times the price. this lens is actually cheapish even when you factor in the aussie dollar. the lens flare might be the only interesting thing in its arsenal but for me its worthwhile for its price. 

6 hours ago, leslie said:

Nikonflares.jpg

Do zoom lenses flare with more / a longer series of circles than primes? Is it because of the larger number of elements in zoom lenses?

8 hours ago, kye said:

Do zoom lenses flare with more / a longer series of circles than primes? Is it because of the larger number of elements in zoom lenses?

I presume that's how it works. so i'm  guessing we both can't be wrong. 😁

2 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Yup, buy one...

Then steal the rest 😉

your a bad bad man, mark romero 2 😀

might be good business for armourguard, guarding all those lens collections. 

Although i think i have done my bit for humanity, redistributing the wealth during this corona virus. 

I used to be all about vintage lenses but these days the value isn't there as much. Seems most 50mm lenses are still pretty reasonably priced (I imagine because they're more plentiful), but a lot of other focal lengths have sky rocketed in price. I still keep my eyes open for bargains on Minolta lenses, since they're my favorite. I still use my 50mm 1.7 for portraits and for some interviews, since it's a 100mm equivalent on my GH5. 

2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I used to be all about vintage lenses but these days the value isn't there as much. Seems most 50mm lenses are still pretty reasonably priced (I imagine because they're more plentiful), but a lot of other focal lengths have sky rocketed in price. I still keep my eyes open for bargains on Minolta lenses, since they're my favorite. I still use my 50mm 1.7 for portraits and for some interviews, since it's a 100mm equivalent on my GH5. 

I guess you raise an interesting point.  Vintage lenses used to be good ways of getting a high image quality lens for relatively little money, but now that prices have skyrocketed for almost all the recognisable brands, outside some bargains in garage sales etc, maybe that's not the case anymore.

Considering that China has stepped in and is making new copies of older lens formulas with brands like 7artisans and TTartisans etc, and considering that we can go a long way to matching the coatings of old with diffusion filters and the like, maybe the time of vintage lenses for the masses is over?

2 hours ago, kye said:

I guess you raise an interesting point.  Vintage lenses used to be good ways of getting a high image quality lens for relatively little money, but now that prices have skyrocketed for almost all the recognisable brands, outside some bargains in garage sales etc, maybe that's not the case anymore.

Considering that China has stepped in and is making new copies of older lens formulas with brands like 7artisans and TTartisans etc, and considering that we can go a long way to matching the coatings of old with diffusion filters and the like, maybe the time of vintage lenses for the masses is over?

Indeed, some of those Chinese lenses are pretty good especially for the price. Vintage will always have a place and the prices may go down again eventually, but unless you're going for a specific look there are a lot of other options out there these days. 

To be fair a lot of vintage lenses are worth what they're going for today but they aren't such a clear cut choice when they're going for close to what you'd pay for a brand new Sigma lens. We were very spoiled there for awhile, able to buy great lenses for almost nothing, that's for sure! 

12 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Indeed, some of those Chinese lenses are pretty good especially for the price. Vintage will always have a place and the prices may go down again eventually, but unless you're going for a specific look there are a lot of other options out there these days. 

To be fair a lot of vintage lenses are worth what they're going for today but they aren't such a clear cut choice when they're going for close to what you'd pay for a brand new Sigma lens. We were very spoiled there for awhile, able to buy great lenses for almost nothing, that's for sure! 

We were definitely spoiled, and the price going up is more reflective of the optical quality of some of those lenses.  Covid and buying boredom / nostalgia will have driven the whole market up somewhat and it might correct in the next few years, but I don't think it will go down that much.

There is a diminishing supply with lenses ageing and breaking, and there is a rising demand, both due to technology driving up visual media in terms of both video and stills photography, and a rising middle class in countries like China and India that has added billions of people to those who have discretionary income: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_class#Recent_global_growth