Mac app to resample GH4 8 bit 4:2:0 to 10 bit 4:4:4

Thomas Worth

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sounds great. I'm sure I'll have questions for you once I actually have the camera in my hands. Any idea about the processing power required to handle 10 bit 4:4:4? Same as 4K?

It's typically easier for the CPU to process uncompressed data, but disk bandwidth is more of an issue. Since this app is designed mainly for testing, the DPX files will be large and require lots of storage bandwidth. If it makes sense, I can add the ability to save ProRes 4444 files at 2K. Generally speaking, ProRes footage is much easier to decompress and display than H.264 footage, even when it's 444/RGB. I haven't run into any problems with GH4 footage, though. The files are relatively small and any recent system should have enough CPU power to play them back in realtime.

Here's a GUI I quickly put together:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s9wyyfw9qvh8cfl/GH444_GUI.dmg

You still need to download the original gh444 file.  Let me know if it's broken.  It's super basic.  It doesn't provide any info on progress, but it'll let you know when it's done.

Edit:

A little explanation:

• Download the file, mount it and copy "GH444 GUI" to your computer somewhere (e.g. Applications).
  • Open the app, click "Browse" to specify which file you want to convert.  The output will be in a folder called dpx_output in the same folder as the 4K file.
  • Click "Start"
  • Select the gh444 file that Thomas Worth provided
  • Wait.  A popup with the word "Done" will been shown when it's done.

Known issues:

• It doesn't show progress.
  • If you cancel it, it will still say "Done"
  • Not sure if it works with OS X 10.7 or earlier, I haven't tested.
  • No way to set the output directory

• Administrators

Here's a GUI I quickly put together:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s9wyyfw9qvh8cfl/GH444_GUI.dmg

You still need to download the original gh444 file.  Let me know if it's broken.  It's super basic.  It doesn't provide any info on progress, but it'll let you know when it's done.

Great stuff!! Thanks a million James.

Hi all,

I experimented with this piece of software but I get inconsistent results with some bad frames.

I tried both with and without the GUI.

My setup : Mac Pro 2013 with Mavericks, using Resolve 10.1.4 for grading the DPX files.

Thanks for your feedback.