Doc Question - Screenshot use

EphraimP

I'm editing a doc-style video for a local academic institution. They have provided me with a lot less b-roll and pics to use over talking head and VO segments than I expected, so I'm searching for content to fill the gap. I came across an old Vice article with a headline and topline photo that are just perfect for what I need. If I grabbed a screenshot of it and ran it for 3-5 seconds, would that count as fair use? The piece is definitely reporting/editorializing on the topic at hand, so it definitely can be considered newsworthy.

I'm hoping someone who's had some experience with this can chime in. We in the US, so state-side legality is what I'm concerned with.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, EphraimP said:

I'm editing a doc-style video for a local academic institution. They have provided me with a lot less b-roll and pics to use over talking head and VO segments than I expected, so I'm searching for content to fill the gap. I came across an old Vice article with a headline and topline photo that are just perfect for what I need. If I grabbed a screenshot of it and ran it for 3-5 seconds, would that count as fair use? The piece is definitely reporting/editorializing on the topic at hand, so it definitely can be considered newsworthy.

I'm hoping someone who's had some experience with this can chime in. We in the US, so state-side legality is what I'm concerned with.

Asked my buddy that makes docs and his response: Yes, it falls under fair use. 

19 minutes ago, Xavier Plagaro Mussard said:

Maybe you can shoot your screen with the article opened. This way there is also your "layer" of art.

Thought of that, don't have time. I am putting slight color burn transitions over them, and punching in or panning, so I've definitely modified them. I will probably put a text-on-screen crediting each publication and date, much as Anaconda recommended.