Panasonic GH4 vs Sony A7S compared - who wins the 4K battle on paper?

Andrew Reid

Well, if you actually look at the test - the results are also really down to the profiles used. It's not a 'raw image data' test like DxO does (although that isn't useful for video anyway)

Sony A7S with Slog is more flat than GH4 Cine-Like, so not surprising the A7S scores better. I think the GH4 could do a bit better with a similar log profile, or a tweaked cine-like profile maybe.

Anyway, I'm not debating that the A7S is better for DR, that's to be expected. Nice score.

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, if you actually look at the test - the results are also really down to the profiles used. It's not a 'raw image data' test like DxO does (although that isn't useful for video anyway)

Sony A7S with Slog is more flat than GH4 Cine-Like, so not surprising the A7S scores better. I think the GH4 could do a bit better with a similar log profile, or a tweaked cine-like profile maybe.

Anyway, I'm not debating that the A7S is better for DR, that's to be expected. Nice score.

What I find most disturbing about the GH4 are twofold:

1. aggressive LUT/Color Corrections the color breaks apart and looks like an iPhone 4s gone bad on instagram

2. the amount of noise, particularly in the blacks, that creep in around iso 800 and above...especially when it is isn't bright daylight 

• 5 months later...

I think the low light capabilities of the GH4 have been a bit misunderstood by many.  Extreme low light with the A7s is a very cool artistic tool, but in no way is the GH4 unusable in low light.  Just don't try to see in the dark with the GH4 and let shadows be shadows.  To that extent, it is a low light camera if treated well.

Our latest short travel film has bunches of low light shots:  A Postcard from Jamaica