Panasonic GH4 vs Sony A7S compared - who wins the 4K battle on paper?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

from  Sony : Dynamic Range extended to 15.3 stops as sensor RAW output  :) 

I'm sure this will be very nice, but there's a difference between 15 stops in 14bit raw and squishing that into 8bit.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

This is a really nice update. Silent shutter is great to see (GH4 has it). Shipping end of July in Europe, too bad still quite a way to go. I thought it was supposed to come out end of June? Nice of Sony to confirm the dynamic range too, but let's see video mode and some independent tests in due course!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The raw output is before compression yes. You only get raw in photo mode. But the uncompressed 4K output should be pretty close. (Or even internal 1080p if it's an effecient compression)

But really, Sony is claiming 15.3 stops of dynamic rang?!

Link?!

I think what they are saying with the "sensor RAW output" thing is that they have increased the dynamic range processed in the FPGA from the raw sensor data, which could give you more low light information in your final file, but still linearized within the same 8bit 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 color space. It would be awesome to get that raw data out of the camera somehow. 

It would be nice, but it's a sony :p

Anyway, if that number is true the camera probably @1080p @iso 800-1600 will be as clean and same color rendition as a 5D mkiii @ iso 100. So you might not be able to use all the DR effectively @iso 100, but once you go up the isos it will be day and night (or should be).

Btw, what kind of picture profile editor does sony has?

It looks like this guy will make nice GH4 vs A7S comparison:

https://twitter.com/DenLennie

" DenLennie @DenLennie  Â·  May 26

Sony #A7s vs Panasonic #GH4 shootout edit coming together..."

" DenLennie @DenLennie  Â·  May 22

rolling shutter on Sony A7s not as bad as expected with full frame sensor...did side by side with GH4 results in a few days"

" DenLennie @DenLennie  Â·  May 22

Just been out comparing A7s and GH4 in low light..."

But isn't that the same guy who shot the official footage?

Meaning we'll have to take the results with a grain of salt -though I don't doubt his honesty-, and judge depending on how scientific/fair the tests look. Still, any additional info, even if it's coming from interested parties, is welcome.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

In touch with Sony about a A7S demo unit so wait to see if it turns the world's number 1 GH4 fanboy onto it :)

Hope they give you one! It almost seems they're hiding the camera away in area 51 from reviewers! =D

Would be awesome to hear how it does in rolling shutter. That's all I need as I know everything else about is pretty awesome!

• 1 month later...

It's the most Alexa like non Alexa footage I've used. I think the A7S will be my second cam, it's rockin.

If they didn't force all that range into 8-bit it would be much better still though. It's a bit of a waste of a great log system.

Canon Clog is designed for 8-bit primarily. The much flatter Sony Slog2 is designed for 10-bit, realistically. The A7S gives you a taster,so you still need to be careful.

This is very interesting:
http://***URL not allowed***/dynamic-range-sony-a7s-vs-arri-amira-canon-c300-5d-mark-iii-1dc-panasonic-gh4/

Brief summary:
Amira: 14.5

A7s: 14.1

5D Mark III: 11.8

1DC: 11.7

C300: 11.4

GH4: 10.9

A lot of  GH4 fans are gonna disappointed or oppose  this test~

For A7S ,it looks like awarded the gold medal,but for many other cameras , it is a death knell!

A lot of  GH4 fans are gonna disappointed or oppose  this test~

For A7S ,it looks like awarded the gold medal,but for many other cameras , it is a death knell!

It seems that not many GH4 owners care that much for dynamic range but more about internal 4K. 
It doesn't surprise me that the GH4 is barely 11 stops, looking at all the GH4 stuff available it is very apparent that the dynamic range is around 11-12 stops.