Fuji X-H2 dead in 2021

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Glad I didn't wait around for it and got the C70. Not sure the X-H2 would/will meet my personal wants for a cine/video camera anyway (xlr/mini xlr, internal ND, etc) but that was the pipe dream. The T3/T4 pretty great cameras. Biggest improvement I think Fuji needs if they keep with a mirrorless hybrid approach instead of a mini-cine direction is improved IBIS. Second biggest would be improved autofocus/autofocus consistency, and a lot of that has to do with lenses.

Actually taking a little more time in the oven to bake their next gen camera might be a good thing for Fuji. The 26MP sensor is pretty much state of the art, and they’ve rolled it out to the X-T3, X-T4, X-Pro3, X-E4, X-S10, and X100V. 

What they could really use now, imho, is:

1. Improving the consistency, predictability and reliability of the autofocus, particularly for face recognition. 
2. Rethinking the menus, which are serviceable but not ideal. I think they’re also a legacy of the original X100. The cameras have evolved significantly in features since then and the menus should reflect that. 
3. Redoing the Q menu, which is oriented towards JPEG settings. You can switch the defaults, but the entire concept should be rethought. 
4. Making touch more pervasive. This goes hand in hand with the two points above. I don’t think you currently can adjust any menu settings with the touch screen. 

Most or all of that can be done in firmware. For the next gen body, I’d like Fuji to think who they really want to be when they grow up. The ergonomics on, say, the X-T4 seem a mishmash of Leica M homage - from the original X100 - early 2000s Nikon DSLR for the dials, and hybrid videography camera. With the recent GFX models they’re pushing towards a more modern, streamlined interface. To me that’s a good thing; there’s a reason Canon and Nikon evolved in that direction: it works. I’d like Fuji to reflect on and really hone their interface for whatever X series camera comes next. 

Andrew,

Give the apparent interim fate of the X-H2 and the semiconductor shortage, do you also expect Canon to abandon the rumored APS-C sensor-based R7 ?  And what of the Olympus -- Samsung alliance ..... will it yield a videocentric, mirrorless APS-C successor to the OMD EM1 MKIII, or is Olympus now out of the upper tier camera business entirely ?

Thanks,

Peter

Rumoured Fujifilm X-H2 with 8K DCI/UHD Video Coming 2022:

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-h2-with-8k-dci-uhd-video-coming-2022/

I'm in no rush for 8K this year. But looking forward to it eventually, along with the M2 Mac.

Not too shockingly surprised, we hit "Peak (dedicated) Photography Hardware" (i.e. not counting mobile photography, which is as popular as ever) a number of years ago. 

We're not going to see every brand spamming out new products as fast as they did in the past, especially not when they hit a really tough year like right now. (what with COVID19 and chip shortages)

I was a long time Fuji user from the original X100 all the way through to the XT3.

The original X100 and the XH1 were my favourites, though for video, the XT3 was the best.

Throughout 2019, I wished for one thing, an XH2.

An XH2 to me was the bits from the XT3 in the XH1 body, but with IBIS.

The XT4 when it came out in early 2020 was near perfect for my needs and the only real negative to me was the screen being flip out and not a tilt. I still cannot find any love for anything that flips out sideways.

But 2 things got in the same way.

Thing 1: Covid.

Thing 2: I was already adapting lenses and did not wish to any longer and Fuji just do not have any really good video-orientated lenses for my needs.

Which is why I went L Mount and S5 initially because to my mind, that is the closest to the XH1/XT4 in terms of size/spec.

Then the S1H which is my ‘XH2’.

Fuji are very good really with their lens roadmaps though but less so with bodies, as are most camera companies.

As has been discussed in the GH5.5 thread, not publishing roadmaps is hurting companies more than they may realise...or possibly care.

But then if I was a camera company, would I really want to be releasing something new in ‘21?

It’s been and continues to be a tricky time for so many.

I am very interested to see what an XH2 might be, but without the glass, not much use to me.

The XH1 is one of the most underrated cameras of it’s time.

For me this is really sad news. I LOVED the X-H1. It was and still is the best camera body I've ever owned---vastly superior in feel to the XT4...vastly. If Fuji markets the guts of the Xt4 in an X-H1 body I'd buy it in a New York minute.

The X-H1 was such a pleasure to hold and shoot---I've sold my X-T4 and don't have any Fuji product at the moment. But the day the X-H2 hits the market that will all change---even if it's only an X-T4 in the X-H1 body. The body and feel of shooting hand held video with the X-H1 is a temptation to buy another right now. Never had so much fun and down right pleasure shooting a camera!

If Fuji didn’t have record limits I’d buy one again. They are great stills cams and the video is good enough to be a B cam to my S1. My complaints with Fuji is their processing is more artificial compared to Panasonic full frame. The IBIS isn’t as good. And they have the damn record limits even in HD.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:02 AM, androidlad said:

Actually many of us will be pleasantly surprised when X-H2 arrives. Mark my word.

There’s another new Fuji Rumours post about the “monstrous” X-H2 in 2022,
predicting a new sensor & processor for 8K.

What new APS-C sensors will do 8K video?

and will any of them do 59.94p at 8K?

18 minutes ago, Jay60p said:

There’s another new Fuji Rumours post about the “monstrous” X-H2 in 2022,
predicting a new sensor & processor for 8K.

What new APS-C sensors will do 8K video?

and will any of them do 59.94p at 8K?

There are two prototypes being developed, one is 8k capable and the other is not.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, androidlad said:

There are two prototypes being developed, one is 8k capable and the other is not.

Sorry I don't think so somehow. Why would they go to all the expense of an 8K capable camera only to decide to go with the 4K one instead later... They are clear on product strategy before they reach prototype stage. I know this for a fact as have worked with the camera companies.

40 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sorry I don't think so somehow. Why would they go to all the expense of an 8K capable camera only to decide to go with the 4K one instead later... They are clear on product strategy before they reach prototype stage. I know this for a fact as have worked with the camera companies.

Fuji's processing pipeline and that silly Xtrans could make 8k a challenge - we know both are processor intensive. If they can't get more than a few minutes of record time or any other issues, it would make sense to have something like an oversampled 6k camera with higher 4k frame rates. That would give them the edge over other APS-c alternatives.

It'll be interesting to see if they adopt dual function card slots like Sony's to allow for higher bitrates and such or any external raw options. If Nikon can do raw, Fuji needs to be in that space.

Personally I hope they go with a Bayer array and make the controls more like the GFX cameras. Stop with the dedicated ISO and SS knobs that can't cover the entire range and just make them customizable dials.

Chris

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

Give me better ibis and no recording limits/overheating over 8K please. 

Do you know on the XT4 with the latest firmware update, you can choose the threshold of the overheating auto-off protection? It is now possible to record at least 40 minutes ; 4K 60p H265 10bit.
Watch this video at 2'50 and 4'01mn

3 minutes ago, BrunoCH said:

Do you know on the XT4 with the latest firmware update, you can choose the threshold of the overheating auto-off protection? It is now possible to record at least 40 minutes ; 4K 60p H265 10bit.

I need unlimited recording for my work. 

10 minutes ago, BrunoCH said:

Interesting, what about for HD or 24p 4k?