Blackmagic URSA - a $6k 4K professional cinema camera with interchangeable sensor

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

NAB 2014: Atomos launches Ninja Star, its smallest ProRes recorder yet...

Is the this the simple light footprint 10 bit 422/prorRes solution? Only $300 clams.

It will be nice for 1080p for sure. Especially for drones and gimbals where the weight and size needs to be kept down to a minimum.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Must say URSA looks better in the flesh.

UI seems to have a lot of features and works smoothly. Screen looks well built and overall camera is attractive to look at.

Still not really for my style of shooting though.

Make it smaller and lighter, put a more sensitive sensor in there and I'm in.

Also that UI, audio levels, etc. let's see them on the other cameras before too long hey!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I just can't figure out why for the name of God would this Atomos Star shoot to CFast cards! The cheapest CFast card is much more expensive than the recorder it self. If it had SD/CF it would be a great gadget for no-budget DSLR shooters and saves all that time transcoding to ProsRes and DNxHD.

OK glad you mention the shoulder, because I have no idea how URSA is supposed to go on there...

The 10" flip screen is way too big to be used on the shoulder. It would be smack right in front of your face. So it is necessary to close the screen... then that blocks the control interface and 2nd screen, along with a bunch of physical buttons.

Not ideal.

OK it does have the saving grace of the right hand side panel and good for a second camera op whilst the shooter concentrates on getting the shot with an offset external EVF on the left.

I thought the point was you didn't have to add any bits?

It should go on the shoulder well if you can integrate a pad underneath. If they're really smart they'd figure out a way to screw in some quick release V mount brackets. I think with an AB battery it should balance quite well. Control access on the dumb side not ideal for ENG work but great for working with an AC ( like Alexa / not like Amira).

Cmosis just came out with a 4/3 sensor that I could see black magic releasing an updated product around, maybe after NAB? Although it has a smaller uM and is slightly lower in the dynamic range than fairchild's >88dB bmpcc chip, it does 3360 x 2496 @ 104fps in 10bit and can be clocked internally or externally, and it costs less than the fairchild sensor. They must be doing something with that...

Yes but look at what these guys are using already... C100, C300 and rental of Arri or Red.

What does the Ursa do that these don't?

If it has the same sensor as the Production Camera it will be unusable on a music video shoot because you can't point it directly at lights or flare up the lens. Black holes!

Bring up a good point. To add to it, why not buy a used Red MX for about 6-700 USD with 7" Red monitor, cards and other fix ins for the same price or less? You'll get more DR, higher sensitivity, and an EVF too.

Ok, I didn't see this coming. But BMC is DOA once the Cion hits. For 2G more you get something that has the ergo of an Aaton, 4k up to 120fps, Pro Rez 4444, etc. Please let it have a decent DR. Did I mention the body is 6.4lbs? Game changer? At the rate cameras are going glass seems like the only safe investment.

http://www.aja.com/en/products/cion#techspecs

Ok, I didn't see this coming. But BMC is DOA once the Cion hits. For 2G more you get something that has the ergo of an Aaton, 4k up to 120fps, Pro Rez 4444, etc. Please let it have a decent DR. Did I mention the body is 6.4lbs? Game changer? At the rate cameras are going glass seems like the only safe investment.

The sensors are the same, so it's very likely it's going to have close to the same image. Difference being on the URSA six months from now if a new sensor comes out you can change it without having to pay full price for a camera.

Biggest thing though is using CF cards, things are to expensive

• Administrators

It should go on the shoulder well if you can integrate a pad underneath. If they're really smart they'd figure out a way to screw in some quick release V mount brackets. I think with an AB battery it should balance quite well. Control access on the dumb side not ideal for ENG work but great for working with an AC ( like Alexa / not like Amira).

And roll like it's the 80's all over again.

• Administrators

BMC as in Blackmagic Cinema Camera?

The AJA is $9k so not the same market.

Let's try to avoid harsh personal comments in this forum please bwhitz, no hard feelings but keep it classy!

Sorry, it wasn't supposed to be personal... I'm just going crazy with all the "form factor" talk when all people mean is "I want big things". :rolleyes:

What will Canon do....10 grand DLSR 4K doesn't look so good sandwiched between the GH4/A7S and the BM line up & AJA CION?

AJA always seems to go the extra distance for quality and UI. 

I think I will now just get the GH4 for it's small footprint on board 4K and upgradable flexibility. And just rent the big guns when the job needs it. Fun times...indeed. 

Really you should check out Andra.com ....they can keep a .95 300mm in perfect focus with no rehearsal, no choreographed marks to hit, no measuring,  that emerald on her finger will just magically stay in forces wherever your actress chooses to move it. And then when you want to go to her eye with the reflection of her glass of wine in it...one tap on your iPad instant no breathing focus. The system is built for HD to 6K for now. enjoy.

Looking at that video the 10" screen on the Ursa kinda looks neat, probably would have been better if there was a way to detach it like the sensor block and replace it with a viewfinder. I'm sure that's adding to the weight as well.

Ergonomics wise it looks much better than the Ursa, but it records raw through a thunderbolt 1 port? Kinda odd.

In a perfect world? How about in the REAL world. We are talking basic functionality. Stuff that can kill you on a shoot and end up losing you your job. If you have a mega expensive unrepeatable shot ready to roll and the camera just cuts in the middle because the card is full without warning, I'd love for you to come back on the EOSHD forum and sing the praises of your £650 cinema camera.

I don't think the BMPC was meant as the kind of camera you'd lose your job over. If there's a budget, you'd maybe grab one as a b or c cam and probably not think twice about rigging it to the bumper of a car. It's schizophrenic for sure, with its pro codecs and IQ while also having massive gaping functionality holes, but for $1,000 I'll take what I can get. You're right though, these easy firmware fixes have been delayed far too long. But considering how tiny the company is, I'm always amazed at their output. 

Sorry, it wasn't supposed to be personal... I'm just going crazy with all the "form factor" talk when all people mean is "I want big things". :rolleyes:

Form factor is very important to those that use cameras all day, day in day out. You think cameras like Alexa, Amira, Sony XDCAM and HDCAM camcorders look the way they do just so they 'look' pro?

I would rather shoot a long form documentary on any of those cameras over the BMPocket. Even though they are much heavier, their 'form factor' or should I say 'professional looks' and ease of use when working solo are unrivaled by any Blackmagic or DSLR.

If you have never shot with one, thats fine but saying that these cameras are big just for looks is incorrect.

PS, the AJA cion looks great.

BMC as in Blackmagic Cinema Camera?

The AJA is $9k so not the same market.

BMC as in Ursa. $ 6.5 K vs $ 9 k for a more fully featured camera, lighter and better designed camera. One will more likely sit on the shelf while someone somewhere thought they were saving 2.5k. It's like the Red Pro Primes. Some  thought is was a great deal at 20k until they realized nobody wanted to use them for legit reasons. As where your Cookes, more expensive, slower but lighter and by far better IQ hold their value and in most cases work a lot. 

Once you're spending 6G or more, you're thinking of these things as tools with a good ROI. Anyone who can put down 6.5k for an URSA will probably be considering where and how to get an extra 2.5k to avoid a possible flop. 

BMC as in Ursa. $ 6.5 K vs $ 9 k for a more fully featured camera, lighter and better designed camera. One will more likely sit on the shelf while someone somewhere thought they were saving 2.5k. It's like the Red Pro Primes. Some  thought is was a great deal at 20k until they realized nobody wanted to use them for legit reasons. As where your Cookes, more expensive, slower but lighter and by far better IQ hold their value and in most cases work a lot. 

Once you're spending 6G or more, you're thinking of these things as tools with a good ROI. Anyone who can put down 6.5k for an URSA will probably be considering where and how to get an extra 2.5k to avoid a possible flop. 

It's amazing that people scoff at a camera that costs $9K now days. My first professional camera was a Sony 637 with DVCAM back that I bought almost 20years ago. It cost me over $20,000 without lens. Look how far we have come now! To a professional, $9000 is nothing for a tool that will put a roof over your head and food on your families table. I agree that for a little extra, the AJa seems to be a much better proposition to the professional shooter.