Longer HDMI cables for ATEM Mini Pro

newfoundmass

I just purchased an ATEM Mini Pro and am curious about which HDMI cables will work best. I've only used switchers that had SDI inputs, not HDMI. I know that longer cables can have problems: are there any reliable 50+ ft HDMI cables? What's the go to solution for that kind of distance? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Have a look at converter solutions such as this which run it over Cat5e/6a/7 to get 50m runs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H8Y5JF4

HDMI_Extender.jpg.068ebf194d3484cf696c80e8a68d2ea8.jpg

They are only 1080p but so is the switcher so thats not an issue.

It needs power at the camera end but its only USB so there are a gazillion solutions for that.

The IR transmitter might be relevant if you use Sony or other cameras that have IR remotes because you'd then be able to control camera functionality such as focus/zoom remotely.

You could also do a similar thing using SDI converters at either end but they need power at both ends and even at the low end they are double the price of this £35 per channel option.

8 hours ago, ntblowz said:

up to 25meter is fine, more and it will have to be active fibre HDMI cable?

So 25 meter is like 80 feet? Sorry we're American and don't use the metric system like a bunch of assholes! Lol

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Have a look at converter solutions such as this which run it over Cat5e/6a/7 to get 50m runs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H8Y5JF4

HDMI_Extender.jpg.068ebf194d3484cf696c80e8a68d2ea8.jpg

They are only 1080p but so is the switcher so thats not an issue.

It needs power at the camera end but its only USB so there are a gazillion solutions for that.

The IR transmitter might be relevant if you use Sony or other cameras that have IR remotes because you'd then be able to control camera functionality such as focus/zoom remotely.

You could also do a similar thing using SDI converters at either end but they need power at both ends and even at the low end they are double the price of this £35 per channel option.

Was looking at something like that, especially because two of my three cameras have smaller HDMI which probably limits my options but also I need to make sure they're kept secure so not to ruin the HDMI port. I was thinking, in addition to locks on their cages, it might not be a bad idea on general for the longer portion to be separate so to ensure as little stress gets put on the HDMI ports as possible, though then that adds another possible point of failure! 

Is there a specific brand I should also use? For normal use I've just gone with Amazon Basics cables for my TV and gaming systems. They work fine but obviously that's for simple stuff that I'm not gonna be screwing around with. 

Here's a deep dive into getting long cable runs with HDMI devices like ATEMs. He does go over to types of ethernet cables and sdi conversion. 

In addition to getting your cable situation down, you'll want to figure out your networking. It's not a great idea to rely on wireless signal for the switcher, although you can do it if you are connecting the ATEM to a laptop with a USB-C cable. Getting an ethernet connection is key, so you'll need an little ethernet switch so you can plug your laptop and ATEM into the network wherever you'll be livestreaming. I use a little 5-port Netgear switch that was relatively cheap and works great.