Disappointing Panasonic GH5 Mark II specs leak in Japan – Where is the GH6?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

We've been here before but a GH6 will need the following to cut it IMHO:

Up to 4k 120 in 10 bit 422, no crop but with the GH5's ability to punch in without losing quality (GH5S doesn't have that and very handy when shooting events. Should be useable when already recording)

Dual ISO with clean image upto 12800

More DR

EVF like S1/SH (ideally with hinge like C100 mk2 and Bmpck6kpro)

Top quality LCD

Punch in to check focus when recording 

E-ND

Good AF (if we have a great EVF and LCD plus punch in to check focus this is not so important)

Make sure LCD doesn't block cables.

Best IBIS 

Easy streaming set up

Linear focus settings for lenses like S series

Vlog

Record in ProRes

Raw prores internally/externally

Admit it's a video camera first and foremost and treat it as such.

A cost of 2500€ max

A 25-60 f1.7 like the 10-25 but at 1300€ max. Maybe a 60-100 f2 as well. Lower the prices of these "video" lenses but sell more of them. Make it a compelling option because if it's not, I'm out.

1 hour ago, Thpriest said:

Up to 4k 120 in 10 bit 422, no crop but with the GH5's ability to punch in without losing quality (GH5S doesn't have that and very handy when shooting events. Should be useable when already recording)

More DR

Top quality LCD

E-ND

Good AF (if we have a great EVF and LCD plus punch in to check focus this is not so important)

Best IBIS 

Easy streaming set up

Vlog

Record in ProRes

A cost of 2500€ max

A 25-60 f1.7 like the 10-25 but at 1300€ max. Maybe a 60-100 f2 as well. Lower the prices of these "video" lenses but sell more of them. Make it a compelling option because if it's not, I'm out.

I mean no disrespect to you sir but 90% of this spec u just listed is already in A7Siii except of eNDs the Prores is same as All-i codec as i have tested on Ninja V.  

7 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

I mean no disrespect to you sir but 90% of this spec u just listed is already in A7Siii except of eNDs the Prores is same as All-i codec as i have tested on Ninja V.  

Exactly, but 1500€ cheaper and able to film for hours on end/streaming without over heating.

Like a 2000€ cheaper FX3, but with an EVF.

I think there would be a market for that as with the economy as it is, a FX3 is a very expensive investment and living in a very hot country (Spain) I don't feel confortable trusting other Sony mirrorless cameras. Like real budget but quality cine/video cam. IMHO

Current times, GH5 Mark II release with little improvement is not at all surprising. As long as GH6 will be released eventually and MFT will not be abandoned, then it's all good in my book. MFT lens collection is incredible and new cameras surely will be made.

Though they should have put GH5S sensor it it, might be that the sensor is too big for stabilization to work in MFT mount, but as the mount can house a super 35mm sensor, it's probably isn't the problem. 

If they are sticking with 4k (which is fine if it is downsampled from 6k), then they really need to soup it up in other ways:
- Raw to SSD (hopefully BRaw or ProRes Raw)
- Internal electronic ND (this would be huge)
- Some nice internal codecs like ProRes
- 180-240fps in 10-bit 4k
- Best IBIS in the business (which the GH5 had)
- Full V-Log, 13-14 stops of dynamic range
- Timecode! (which I assume it will have like S1H)
- Great video AF - either ToF or PDAF.

Too many (not that much more expensive) full frame cameras can do 120fps in 4k, 8k, raw over HDMI, etc to just put out a solid update. Needs to be include some BIG upgrades (Raw and NDs would be very attention-grabbing).

The GH5 was pretty revolutionary in its specs, but it faced no competition in the 10-bit, 4k, IBIS, XLR capture arenas when it was released. Now, not so much.

On 5/20/2021 at 5:49 PM, Thpriest said:

More DR

Top quality LCD

E-ND

Best IBIS 

Easy streaming set up

Vlog

Record in ProRes

A cost of 2500€ max

IMO it just needs one thing.....PDAF. But on a serious note, everything you just listed is also already in the S5 except 4K120 and good AF all for less than $2K USD. I just don't see how a GH6 makes any sense. If Sigma would get CAF working with their L-mount to EF mount adapter the S5 would finally be perfect for me. Also, I saw some upscaled 1080P at 120FPS mixed in with 4K footage and it actually looked pretty incredible, so there is a way to get 120FPS on a 4K timeline with the S5.

So I say all of that to say I just don't see how they could possibly pull off a GH6 since it would have to beat the GH5, GH5S, and the S5 in every way including price.

25 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

So I say all of that to say I just don't see how they could possibly pull off a GH6 since it would have to beat the GH5, GH5S, and the S5 in every way including price.

Unless as several have pointed out, someone is already invested in 4/3 glass.

For those of us who have either never been 4/3 users or like myself, were once but no longer are, it's an almost impossible sell. 

For me it would absolutely have to have great tracking AF (I don't care whether that means phase or not, just that it's super-reliable) plus meet my minimum spec otherwise yup, why would you compared with say the S5?

I've just done another commercial shoot with the S5 and S1H pairing and other than the occasional AF wobble, pretty faultless with just a few tweaks to make ahead of this weeks next 2 shoots. Not that I want to make this about the S series, just that for me personally, I'm struggling to see much of a case for anything 4/3 now. And there are many like us.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Unless as several have pointed out, someone is already invested in 4/3 glass.

For those of us who have either never been 4/3 users or like myself, were once but no longer are, it's an almost impossible sell. 

For me it would absolutely have to have great tracking AF (I don't care whether that means phase or not, just that it's super-reliable) plus meet my minimum spec otherwise yup, why would you compared with say the S5?

I've just done another commercial shoot with the S5 and S1H pairing and other than the occasional AF wobble, pretty faultless with just a few tweaks to make ahead of this weeks next 2 shoots. Not that I want to make this about the S series, just that for me personally, I'm struggling to see much of a case for anything 4/3 now. And there are many like us.

I agree, but at least for me there's still one problem....I got mostly manual lenses because I couldn't use the AF in the GH5, I imagine there are plenty of other users like that that would still have to go back and buy the AF versions after spending $2K+ on the body. I'm not saying the GH6 wouldn't be great especially if they fix the AF, I just don't think there would be enough die hard MFT shooters to justify the razor thin margins Panasonic would have to sell it at or if they would ever get back their R&D costs.  

@bjohn I 100% agree MFT has plenty of great benefits, and I was all in on the MFT and GH5 just 2yrs ago...if the GH6 had come out with all of these features instead of the S5 I would still be using all MFT equipment. My only point is; a piece of equipment can be the best thing ever made...but if the company selling it can't make a profit off of it either they won't make it at all or it won't last long and that's how I feel about the GH6. Lets not even mention the fact it is DOA if it ships with DFD AF.

19 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

@bjohn I 100% agree MFT has plenty of great benefits, and I was all in on the MFT and GH5 just 2yrs ago..

Ditto except Olympus for me and 3 years ago, but as above, "for me personally" (the bit you missed out when quoting me), ie, I am not dissing the system. 

Rather I have even considered it quite recently with the EM1 mkIII but the lack of 4k 60p and compared with FF for stills (APSC less so but jumping 2 sizes was just a bit too far for me), just tipped things against it.

I've come from 4/3rds video to FF via APSC.

Would I go back?

For video yes, but it would need to be doing something for my specific needs that APSC or FF isn't.

Currently, that does not exist and I suspect it never will.

The other factor is, you will need to prise my S1H from my cold dead hands after poisoning, then stabbing, shooting and setting fire to me.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The lens looks very interesting as long as it's not massive.

An f1.7 light gathering 50-100mm focal length equiv?

Err, yes please!

I'm not waivering just yet though 😁

6 hours ago, herein2020 said:

IMO it just needs one thing.....PDAF. But on a serious note, everything you just listed is also already in the S5 except 4K120 and good AF all for less than $2K USD.

The S5 missing a top EVF which is a bummer.

On 5/25/2021 at 11:05 AM, MrSMW said:

The lens looks very interesting as long as it's not massive.

An f1.7 light gathering 50-100mm focal length equiv?

Err, yes please!

I'm not waivering just yet though 😁

Don't waver....unless it has something other than DFD AF...😄