Disappointing Panasonic GH5 Mark II specs leak in Japan – Where is the GH6?

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

They very much wouldn't like you to keep using them. They'd like you to get out there and replace them with new stuff, preferably on a monthly basis!

That's not entirely true. Yes, they'd like you to buy the new versions but the systems depend on DSLR shooters being enticed to switch to mirrorless because their lenses can still be used. I think they realize that the change over from their old lenses to the better mirrorless ones will happen slowly over time, both as the need arises or users decide they'd prefer to get lighter version of the lens. 

It'd be interesting to know what percentage of Canon and Nikon mirrorless shooters are still using legacy lenses, though I imagine it's nearly impossible to figure out. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I do a lot of concert videos of classical music, and it is vital for me to have camera's that can run unattended for one or two hours. The GH5 is still one of the very few hybrids that can do exactly that. With a battery grip it can record for nearly 3 hours and I have never had any heating problem.

For run-and gun it is also still an excellent camera with its great Ibis, very good handling and bulletproof design.

Yes, the AF is nowadays its weak spot, but after all the updates and with some native lenses it is much better than some would suspect. In critical situations, one learns how to use it or not to use it.

I would like to have the AF of a Sony or Canon, but it is still no deal breaker for me.

The whole ecosystem is another reason why I am still very much in love with M43. Besides a wonderful and vast array of lenses by Panasonic and Olympus, we now have an ever expanding range of third party lenses. My latest acquisition (a wonderful and incredibly well performing  Mitakon 17 mm F0.95 lens) is giving me a whole new playing field.

I do follow the developments with Canon, Nikon, Sony and Fuji, but I still see a lot of disadvantages when switching to one of these. I agree that AF, DR and lowlight capabilities are no small feats, but there are other factors as well, and I don’t want to gain on some aspects and loose in a bunch of others.

Today I saw that new video by “Three Blind Men and An Elephant Productions”. Funny enough he reached the same conclusions. It is easy to get blinded by all those shiny features of the new FF bodies, and forget the blessings of what one already owns.

Maybe there is hope? https://www.43rumors.com/ft3-there-is-hope-gh6-development-will-be-announced-tomorrow/

(FT3) There is hope: GH6 development will be announced tomorrow?

UPDATE: I still cannot confirm if the announcement is happening tomorrow. That image you see on top is for the closed press event. Not sure if there will be some days of NDA before the actual public announcement!

I still cannot confirm this via solid sources. But one source heard that Panasonic will announce the GH6 development along the new GH5II launch. If this is true it would lift a heavy weight from all of us that are disappointed with the GH5II.

It would make indeed sense for Panasonic to offer an updated and affordable GH5II along a high end and more expensive GH6 camera. So let’s hope this one source isn’t wrong 😞

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

If they do announce a GH6, what would the point of a GH5.5 be?!

It's possible there could be 2 models, but in this day and age, I think it would be unlikely?

My only guess is that it's meant as a lower cost entry while a GH6 will be the flagship entry? I'm not sure, honestly. 

Panasonic has updated some lenses to mark II. The Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25/1,4 II, Panasonic AF 20/1,7 II and Panasonic AF 12-35/2,8 G Lumix Vario ASPH Power OIS II are all mark II lenses with small upgrades and the old ones are phased out. Then they have produced new more expensive and unique lenses, like the Summilux 10-25 1.7 and Panasonic Leica 12-60 2.8-4. Let's hope it's the same with the GH5 mark II, some small upgrades to replace the original GH5 and then there is a GH6 coming, maybe a new body design and new unique specs. One can always dream :) But I'm happy right now with my S5 and GH5 combo.

Via Panasonic Instagram.  It looks like multiple GH bodies could be announced.

"We are pleased to announce that they will
present an expanded lineup of the popular LUMIX GH series at an online
launch event. The event will be held at
https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/lumix/ on Tuesday, May 25, 2021, at
14:00 UTC.
We are committed to addressing further to enhance the
G Series lineup and performance of conventional Micro Four Thirds
mirrorless cameras and lenses to meet the continuous demands of creators
who value the strong advantage that only MFT can offer.
More information will be updated in the future posts on the official Instagram account @lumix until May 25, 2021."

It look like GH5ii and GH6 will be announced (maybe development for GH6) as it mentioned multiple GH cameras 

LUMIX Live : New GH Series Cameras are Coming

We are pleased to announce that we will present new LUMIX GH series cameras at an online launch event. The event will be held on Tuesday, May 25, 2021, at 10:00am EDT.

A new zoom lens will be announced as well.

https://www.43rumors.com/from-the-gh5ii-press-event-there-will-be-a-new-zoom-lens-too-and-gh6/

There was a press meeting today and Panasonic also published the teaser for the MAy 25th announcement. This is what I heard from the event:

• GH5II definitely coming soon
  • New zoom lens (something to match the 10-25)
  • GH6 development announcement

19 hours ago, hoodlum said:

It look like GH5ii and GH6 will be announced (maybe development for GH6) as it mentioned multiple GH cameras 

LUMIX Live : New GH Series Cameras are Coming

We are pleased to announce that we will present new LUMIX GH series cameras at an online launch event. The event will be held on Tuesday, May 25, 2021, at 10:00am EDT.

I just received an email from Panasonic yesterday with this same announcement, it directs one to a webpage for the event here...

lumix live | Panasonic US

https://shop.panasonic.com/lumix-live

...perhaps time for a new thread not based on rumors? I would sure like to see Panasonic follow-through on their promise for organic, global-shutter, negative-gain, sensor technology! ;)

1 hour ago, Jimmy G said:

...perhaps time for a new thread not based on rumors?

Yes, but what do we call it?  The GH5mk2 thread?  The GH6 thread?  Hell, if we're not believing the rumours then maybe they're going straight to the GH7 and going for a 12K sensor!

1 hour ago, kye said:

Yes, but what do we call it?  The GH5mk2 thread?  The GH6 thread?  Hell, if we're not believing the rumours then maybe they're going straight to the GH7 and going for a 12K sensor!

Latest rumour mentions that GH6 will not be 8k and they are focusing on 4K. 

https://www.43rumors.com/really-looks-like-there-will-two-gh-cameras-this-year-the-new-gh5ii-and-a-future-new-gh6/