Blackmagic Studio Camera to be announced today

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

studio-camera.jpg

I can guarantee this announcement will not please any of Blackmagic's existing user base, unless backed up by some really good news in the form of significant firmware updates for the Cinema, Production and Pocket cameras plus Resolve 11.

The latter is definitely coming and takes Resolve's editing capabilities up a notch.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

1. The lens on the photo at NAB is a fujinon cabrio, thus suggesting it's a s35 sensor
2. Blackmagic is a broadcast company first, "cinema" company second. So you can say they comply more with their roots now :)

That said, what a honkey donkey camera. It proves even more that they don't think of shoulder cam situations over there. Even in tv studios that can happen. I would love to see this beast in a camera cage on someone's shoulder :)

Ugh. Sorry, I'm not even a Blackmagic user, and I'm miffed. It was my understanding that the Production Cinema Camera was their "studio" cam. It is, after all, 3840x2160 (AKA UHD, NOT DCI 4K). THey do need to reign themselves in, it's getting ridiculous. They need to leave the EOS mount in the dust, IMO. It's a relic from the days when we needed mirrors on our cameras. For stills, it makes sense. For video, it is a lens adapting nightmare. Where are the built in ND filters? Mirrorless mounts? 4096x2160 resolution? 

This might actually end up being a version 2 of either the cinema or production camera with a fancy new name.  The same sensor but with the stuff they missed off the first time.  One thing I know is that I wouldn't trust the supposed release date.

There is a leaked manual: http://www.mediafire.com/view/11zgrj1ia4k06bt/Blackmagic_Studio_Camera_Manual.pdf

Its m43 mount - has loads of integrated stuff such as tally lights and talkback for live production work - I can see a market for it, but not at the expense of fixing their other cameras. I just want audio meters and the ability to format/delete clips!

Oh dear, what the hell are they doing now?!?

Totally agreed with the article - they really need to focus on their existing line-up first, fixing the (basic) flaws in their firmware. 

And the URSA? Another new camera? Come on....

If you read the page its software has alot of things that the other don't, I think maybe this software will eventually get to the others

I'm with you on that one, Andrew. I would be more impressed if they would just concentrate on developing the products that got our attention in the first place instead of brining out more and more stuff that we have no reason to be confident in. It would be nice if they would start paying attention to the details of their existing products. I love their ideas, but let's see them through. No formatting in camera on the BMPCC? Built in battery on the BMCC? Come on Black Magic! Concentrate on the details! This profession/ craft revolves around details! Without details, we're all just fooling ourselves if we think we're going to get any better at what we're doing. 

Like it or not, they do have to make money selling their stuff.  As a business decision, it makes sense.  Lots of rinky-dink "TV studios" around the world would appreciate a decent low-cost camera(s).

For example:  if you're reading this from Europe, you might be surprised how many American religious organizations build small/big studios to proselytize their opinions.  It's a good market to sell to.

On the other hand, even if the indy film market does't offer great profit potential, they have product in that sector.  They have to maintain, and even lead, in that arena if they want the "Black Magic" brand to mean anything.

Since all lines are blurred between various production disciplines these days, they'll take a big hit with their reputation if they fail in any of them.  I do wonder if they're too small to suffer that sort of collapse.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

That URSA price is mental. It looks like an F5/Epic contender. Nice move I say, they are getting into the bigger market, which will mean they can make money and experience to make other smaller products.