Scammed on eBay as a seller and then - scammed by eBay customer services!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
35 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

Helping others with their gear addiction helps me with mine. It's what they call a win-win situation 😏

Thanks again man! 

@Andrew Reidthanks to this site Ephraim sold me a ATEM Mini Pro for a great price. It's a testament to the community you've built that we're able to help one another like that. I think you'll do fine selling stuff through here! 

Having a market thread is not a bad idea. I was more interested in moving my gear on quickly with as little hassle as possible, rather than maximizing the return I could get and increasing the risk of getting ripped off. The fact that it helps a fellow legit shooter is definitely a bonus. If that's the vibe people approach things with on the board, it could add value to the community.

14 hours ago, EphraimP said:

Having a market thread is not a bad idea. I was more interested in moving my gear on quickly with as little hassle as possible, rather than maximizing the return I could get and increasing the risk of getting ripped off. The fact that it helps a fellow legit shooter is definitely a bonus. If that's the vibe people approach things with on the board, it could add value to the community.

Agreed. I'm willing to make a little less if I know the person, even if it's just through this forum, that's now using it. And I know there is a section to sell on here but it doesn't get a ton of traffic. 

• 4 weeks later...

I had someone who tried to scam me as well

Sold him a $950 Radeon VII video card.

2 months later he messages me, says it doesn't work. I said, you've had it 2 month, and now it doesn't work?

He said he didn't get around to trying it out until now. BS I said.
Long story short. We went through the whole scenario of me refusing the return, him filing a refund with Ebay and Paypal.
Paypal sided with him, and I received a negative balance in my paypal account that they demanded I pay.
I messaged Paypal, told them that they have now become the owner of a Radeon VII card. And I will never pay the balance on the account even if they try and take it to collections. And since there are now several other online payment options available I would never use them again.
Now, given that I've spent a lot of money through Paypal, I guess they decide to eat it. They rolled back the negative balance.

However I'll never sell anything expensive on Ebay again.
Especially now that everything will be going through them, including payments..

Wow I can't believe your bad luck. I've sold thousands of $$$ of equipment over the years, including the last year where I sold a Leica Q2 and more, without a hitch. Try craigslist/gumtree or the berlin equivalent next time! Also, is that blonde lady who features in some of your work your partner?

• Administrators
On 6/9/2021 at 10:19 PM, Henchman said:

I had someone who tried to scam me as well

Sold him a $950 Radeon VII video card.

2 months later he messages me, says it doesn't work. I said, you've had it 2 month, and now it doesn't work?

He said he didn't get around to trying it out until now. BS I said.
Long story short. We went through the whole scenario of me refusing the return, him filing a refund with Ebay and Paypal.
Paypal sided with him, and I received a negative balance in my paypal account that they demanded I pay.
I messaged Paypal, told them that they have now become the owner of a Radeon VII card. And I will never pay the balance on the account even if they try and take it to collections. And since there are now several other online payment options available I would never use them again.
Now, given that I've spent a lot of money through Paypal, I guess they decide to eat it. They rolled back the negative balance.

However I'll never sell anything expensive on Ebay again.
Especially now that everything will be going through them, including payments..

2 months. Unbelievable. Is there never a cut off when it comes to eBay's ridiculous one-sided policies!?

It's like skeletons coming up from the ground.

Good tactic with PayPal, to play hard ball like that.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad you shared this with us @Andrew Reid.

eBay is seriously fucked. Some of its employees just got jail time for: "sending threatening messages and deliveries of live cockroaches, a funeral wreath, and a bloody pig mask" to a couple running a website that wrote critical articles about eBay. On orders from executives no less.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/07/ebay-manager-imprisoned-for-harassment-of-journalists-the-ceo-wanted-to-take-down/