SmallRig accused of blackmail

newfoundmass

An interesting video. I don't completely agree with everything he says (I think brands sending free gear to folks has overall been a net negative, especially when it comes to the YouTube filmmaking community) but it is interesting to get a look behind the curtain at how these businesses operate. It's unfortunate too, because I've been very happy with my SmallRig stuff and to see them behave like this sours me on the brand.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yep. It would seem that they agree to send you something even though you tell them you'll only do a video on it if you like it. Then they badger you about it. If you don't cave they'll eventually contact you again, offering more stuff, but then say they'll only send it if you review the previous items they sent. A not so subtle way of telling you that if you want free stuff you have to play ball. 

It seemed inevitable that this would happen, but it's still incredibly shady. It certainly puts a lot of pressure on smaller channels especially. I shudder to think the % of channels that have caved in. 

What's really baffling about it is SmallRig has already built a reputation for having an excellent cost/quality ratio. I don't understand why they felt the need to do this, they're already one of the largest companies when it comes to rigs/cages.

6 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

What's really baffling about it is SmallRig has already built a reputation for having an excellent cost/quality ratio. I don't understand why they felt the need to do this, they're already one of the largest companies when it comes to rigs/cages.

And how do you think they got to that position?

• Administrators

Yep. It would seem that they agree to send you something even though you tell them you'll only do a video on it if you like it. Then they badger you about it.

Obvious this is wrong of Small Rig but I just think nearly all companies are pulling similar stunts and content creators are happy to enable it in 99% of situations.

I don't know this guy but it's good he has spoken out.

But it is a bit like watching two sales people arguing about principals.

If this was Sony sending him a free A7S III would he have called them out for blackmail?

If Canon had sent him an EOS R5 but he didn't like the overheating, is this blackmail when they expect content from him?

It is the unspoken rule.

If you want free stuff, they expect you to return the favour and do your part.

Is it a quid-pro-quo when nobody complains and blackmail when somebody does?

No they are the same thing really.

A not so subtle way of telling you that if you want free stuff you have to play ball.

The only difference between Sony with Gerald Undone and Small Rig with this guy is the degree of subtleness.

He is expected companies to send  him free gears just to ear his "valuable" feedback yea right....... the most silly part is that they refer themselves as content creators..... they are not content creators they are sales guys replacing the guys in the shop or in TV sales. This is it. The argument that the value of the good is only a couple of 100$ is also ridiculous.

Even worse for me is the blatantly "promotion" of editing photo softwares / crownfunding products in most photo/video sites. A new software or crowdfunding product appears, and instantantly it is "featured" in dozen of sites at the same time.

(The how I was tricked to get Luminar, that piece of s*it).

The X-Tra battery scandal exposed how it works, but to no avail - the same practices continues.

Just now, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Even worse for me is the blatantly "promotion" of editing photo softwares / crownfunding products in most photo/video sites. A new software or crowdfunding product appears, and instantantly it is "featured" in dozen of sites at the same time.

(The how I was tricked to get Luminar, that piece of s*it).

The X-Tra battery scandal exposed how it works, but to no avail - the same practices continues.

Just a clarification, if someone thinks that I could be talking about @BTM_Pix AF module, which have it's own thread here - not at all. It looks like an amazing product, fair priced, and not fake "promoted" at all.

I'm talking about the Luminars / DxO / backpack companies / kickstart gizmos.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Just a clarification, if someone thinks that I could be talking about @BTM_Pix AF module, which have it's own thread here - not at all. It looks like an amazing product, fair priced, and not fake "promoted" at all.

If anyone wants an insight into the other side of this unvirtuous circle then launch a product and watch the emails pile in.

From the straightforward "can I have a free one if I do a review on my YouTube channel?" to the full on "I will say its great on my YouTube channel if you give me a free one and a cut of the sales" and all points in between.

On sites such as this one below, you can register to boost campaigns for products that you have absolutely no idea whether work or not or even if they will ever be delivered and earn money from other people taking that risk :

https://kickbooster.me/marketplace/

Sites such as that one are referenced in almost every solicitation email we've received regarding the PBC and then the AFX so its obviously all part of the game.

Is everybody at it ?

Its unlikely but there are clearly enough people who are very much at it so as to bring the whole thing into disrepute in my opinion.

There is clearly a space then for someone to do absolutely straight reviews that demonstrably have no financial aspect to them whatsoever either through advertising or affiliate links.

The problem with someone doing that is that there are so many people with vested interests in these inanimate objects - whether financial or emotional - that you then end up with this at your virtual front door if you are critical of it.

1467823820_angrymob.jpg.05ae0dec18f75d71974be739703a7ce1.jpg

On that basis, who the fuck would even be arsed doing it ?

I'm glad this guy spoke up, because I'd prefer to spend a little more money to support good business practices, and that includes being upfront and honest with reviewers who are getting gear to review, and having good customer support.

But "blackmail" is a pretty strong word considering their "threat" is to stop sending free stuff. I might have missed something, but it sounds like they just said "we aren't going to send you free gear to review unless you actually review it." And it sounds like they said it in a nasty way--which is a fair point to make and a genuine reason to rethink your support of the company--but the actual terms of that transaction seem pretty clear to me, and he can either accept or not accept it.

His argument that they are pressuring him into doing something he didn't agree to is a little dramatic, because unless he left something out, withholding free gear that he didn't ask for or expect is not pressure.

He also mentions that smaller content creators rely on free stuff that they can't afford. Well, if your channel is mainly about creating content, then use cheaper gear or get a day job.

While there are tons of shilly clickbait "channels" on YT, there are people that make good videos.

I've watched a bunch of New Layer lighting gear reviews and they're quite helpful as he compares fan noise and C800U meter readings.

Blackmail might be slightly click baity, but he puts a lot of effort into making those videos and not random lifestyle BS.

I'm thinking of starting a cheap gear review channel too but it's so much work I don't know if I can be bothered.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

And how do you think they got to that position?

Obviously a part of it had to do with free gear for reviews, but I'd first started hearing good things about SmallRig from long time posters in Facebook groups I am in. From there other known members posted YouTube reviews after seeing those posts. It wasn't until about a year later that the usual suspects started reviewing it on YouTube, starting with the familiar "I'd like to thank SmallRig for sending this to review" line. 

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The only difference between Sony with Gerald Undone and Small Rig with this guy is the degree of subtleness.

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but Gerald isn't allowed to keep the cameras they send him. After he sends them back he has to buy them like everyone else. Obviously there is incentive to cooperate up an extent, so you're allowed to take part in the lucrative lifting of the press embargo day where YouTube is flooded with stuff, but Gerald still does his deep dive while everyone else does the typical YouTube lifestyle thing. 

I do agree there is a level of wanting to maintain good relationships with these companies that undoubtedly influences everyone to a certain extent. That does make me uncomfortable, even when it comes to Gerald, but I also don't want to paint everyone with a broad brush. 

In an ideal world these channels that have sponsors and generate considerable ad revenue would rent these cameras like many folks used to for their reviews. 

• Administrators

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but Gerald isn't allowed to keep the cameras they send him. After he sends them back he has to buy them like everyone else.

He keeps something much more valuable, which is the relationship with Sony.

I do not blame anyone for wanting contacts at Sony or any other company but I'm not buying this 'poor Gerald' is left with nothing idea.

you're allowed to take part in the lucrative lifting of the press embargo day where YouTube is flooded with stuff

This is an orchestrated sales pitch, coordinated across the internet by one company.

but Gerald still does his deep dive while everyone else does the typical YouTube lifestyle thing.

It's still a sales pitch. If he isn't seen to be useful, he's out of the gang.

In an ideal world these channels that have sponsors and generate considerable ad revenue would rent these cameras like many folks used to for their reviews. 

In an ideal world he would go it alone. Buy the cameras himself and not have any PR contacts.

And maybe shoot something too.

Would be nice to see a channel that reviews camera gear but waits for the actual product to be on the shelves and rents it for the review and testing.

No company contacts. No free products given ahead of time. No pressure to say good or bad things about it. No marketing spec bullshit to say.

It would have to be funded by donations, memberships, and ad-sense revenue.

Gerald is the only channel I watch for product launch marketing and I do it with a pinch of salt. I'm there for a synopsis of the manual and capabilities of the camera (hopefully tested), but I don't care for the conclusions or buying advice given. He should just cut that out of his videos all together because it's ludicrous to give buying advice to people with such varying needs and wants. But since Amazon affiliate links are broken as fuck, everybody does it.

That’s sad and disheartening to hear, but I’m still going to buy their gear because a lot of the tools I have and I’m expected to purchase are literally approved by the camera manufacturer I use. My career depends on these products, which allows me to have a cohesive and efficient workflow. 

Regarding the YouTube personalities experiencing this type of behavior from companies, if my future depended on income from being a “creator” and not actually creating content for “real world” clients, I would be gung ho behind this.  

Still, I hope that it was just a rogue employee and not the company’s culture because SmallRig doesn’t come across like this. Hopefully his video will bring attention to this issue. 

• 1 year later...