Test: ISCO integrated project lens is underestimated...

ken

The test was using Canon 6D with EF 85mm f1.8 lens, auto focus. Actually is semi auto focus, the anamorphic lens needs to do manual focus.

BTW, this lens I have seen some seller said as 2x, 1.9x or even 1.7x. But I found the actual rate is around 1.9x might be the most close ratio.

gallery_34324_122_111751.jpg

original 100% crop

gallery_34324_122_146019.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think 2x is correct.  But we cannot reach to infinity to test.  So usually should use 1.9x to unsqueezed.  Here is sample as 1.9x.  Original 1500x1000, 1000/1.9=526.  so final size is 1500x526.  Found center is the least anamorphic, image in sides are more like 2x.

gallery_34324_122_53570.jpg

Also post a flare test, not strong is known fact.  But still can use to adjust alignment.

gallery_34324_122_27555.jpg

Yeah I have seen that effect, it is similar to extreme barrel distortion and is worse on wide angle taking lenses. I have found it needs to be corrected for panning shots or else they look funky.

What lens can take wider angle without barrel distortion? I saw 16h, or LA7200 even worse.

I believe the Isco 54 I had a while back was pretty good at its widest. If you happen to be using Adobe CC you can use the optics compensation filter to reduce or remove it. I have used it in AE but I am not sure if it is available in any other adobe app.

The optics to compensate for barreling are pretty complex and need to be designed around a specific lens. Unless you buy a true anamorphic prime, barreling is going to happen if you're using anamorphic projection lenses, especially the 2x lenses. (The Iscoramas are a 1.5 squeeze so the field of view isn't as wide as 2x, so you get less barreling, up to a point.)

dhessel is right, you can use optic compensation to reduce it, but personally, I love that barreling...

• 1 month later...

Based on my test, blue star and blank star lens have different flare performance due to coating difference, see pictures.  The blue star lens has none, but blue star lens has a little bit, at least I can use it to do alignment adjustment.   From serial number to tell, blue star lens is older. 

#5 tested picture was from blank star lens. 

If not care flaring, both lenses' sharpness and view angle have no difference at all.

gallery_34324_122_92598.jpg

• 6 months later...