Canon EOS R5 Gets 8K ProRes RAW

danieleciraolo

Ninja V+ and 8K workflow
We are also delighted to announce that the Ninja V+ will be able to record 8Kp30 ProRes RAW when
connected to a Canon EOS R5 mirrorless camera.
Atomos and Canon are delighted to be bringing customers a world first for capturing stunning pristine
8K images with such an affordable, capable and compact camera system. This will be a true game
changer in content creation.
The ProRes RAW format is a perfect vehicle for an 8K workflow, from ease of use natively on the
timeline within Final Cut Pro, to the flexibility of the image processing with full adjustment of WB and
ISO control.
Coupled with the proven Full Frame Canon EOS R5, this combination will propel content creators to a
whole new level of production values. Coming later in 2021.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, kye said:

Would that might make an 8K workflow achievable without a super computer?  I saw comments from the YT crowd that they couldn't edit the RAW files from the R5 even with their $30K+ Mac Pro computers. 

Does anyone here even own an R5?

I have one and can edit the 8k ipb and ipb lite files on a 16in macbook pro. Anything higher and its a struggle.

I have the r5 and I work with a macpro 2009 with 12 cores and a macbook pro 15 8 cores, surely I have no real time but with final cut I do the proxies for the mounting the color I do it with davinci when the job is finished and I have no problems ( 8k raw, ipb and 4k 120 fps)

10 hours ago, danieleciraolo said:

I have the r5 and I work with a macpro 2009 with 12 cores and a macbook pro 15 8 cores, surely I have no real time but with final cut I do the proxies for the mounting the color I do it with davinci when the job is finished and I have no problems ( 8k raw, ipb and 4k 120 fps)

But does it look better than 1080p from an Alexa? 

On 5/2/2021 at 2:22 AM, kye said:

Would that might make an 8K workflow achievable without a super computer?  I saw comments from the YT crowd that they couldn't edit the RAW files from the R5 even with their $30K+ Mac Pro computers. 

I found 8K RAW to not be as difficult to edit as I had feared. On my Intel 8700K/RTX2070 it wasn't exactly smooth in Davinci Resolve, but absolutely doable to edit.

2 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I found 8K RAW to not be as difficult to edit as I had feared. On my Intel 8700K/RTX2070 it wasn't exactly smooth in Davinci Resolve, but absolutely doable to edit.

I agree 8k RAW and RAW Light are directly editable in Davinci on a good PC mine is a 2500 usd 1 year old gaming notebook i9-10980HK, 2070 super Max-Q. 8k timeline with complex stuff is an issue with only 8GB VRam in Davicine no matter what codec but 4k timeline is not a problem 

On 5/1/2021 at 8:22 PM, kye said:

I have an R5, too. After the firmware updates it has been a great camera. I use the 8K as a specialty mode for faking slider or other camera movement in 4K timeline or lower. CLOG3 improved the DR issue and I think it looks great compared to other Sony cameras. The 4KLQ mode is more than useable for YouTube long form content. It's better than EOS R and that was a great "YouTube" camera. I can edit everything (8K isn't completely smooth) off of a $1600 M1 13" MBP. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Can't wait to see more from Canon. Sony has been crushing the technical side of things and their color science has improved a lot since A7III days.

10 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I have an R5, too. After the firmware updates it has been a great camera. I use the 8K as a specialty mode for faking slider or other camera movement in 4K timeline or lower. CLOG3 improved the DR issue and I think it looks great compared to other Sony cameras. The 4KLQ mode is more than useable for YouTube long form content. It's better than EOS R and that was a great "YouTube" camera. I can edit everything (8K isn't completely smooth) off of a $1600 M1 13" MBP. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Can't wait to see more from Canon. Sony has been crushing the technical side of things and their color science has improved a lot since A7III days.

Cool to hear it's working for you.

It makes me laugh that you say Sony have improved their colour science a lot since the A7III.  The A7III was much improved compared to the ones before, and those were much improved compared to the ones before that, and the ones before that.....

17 hours ago, kye said:

It makes me laugh that you say Sony have improved their colour science a lot since the A7III.  The A7III was much improved compared to the ones before, and those were much improved compared to the ones before that, and the ones before that.....

Much improved to me is less work in post. So yes, they are improving. 

I own an R5, shoot almost exclusively in 12 bit 8K RAW (might change when Canon enables the Atomos Ninja V+ to record R5 8k to 8k ProRes RAW) and without proxies smoothly edit and color grade it with my M1 Mac Mini (16 GB RAM and 2 TB HD).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 8:22 PM, kye said:

It isn't the RAW that is a problem.  It is the 10-bit HEVC 4:2:2 you get from using 4K HQ + Canon Log that crushes any computer without hardware support for that codec (almost all of them).  AFAIK that pretty much limits you to late-model iPad Pros and m1 Macs.  It edits smooth AF on an inexpensive M1 Mac.  My 2019 3rd-gen iPad Pro won't even try to open them, though