Announcing Atomos Shogun - first 4K HDMI recorder compatible with Sony A7S

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm in the market for a new DSLR type camera, low priced preferably with the option of 4K for the future as I will be still into HD for a while. I feel the GH4 is the better bargain of the two, anyone think I'm wrong on that?

I'm in the market for a new DSLR type camera, low priced preferably with the option of 4K for the future as I will be still into HD for a while. I feel the GH4 is the better bargain of the two, anyone think I'm wrong on that?

I've got an OM-D EM-5, with lots of primes, and one kit 12-50mm zoom. And two Four Thirds good zooms.

I just wanted good video, and was thinking about zooms too ... the GH-4 gave me a fair bit, but lack IBIS.

For video, I'd need to buy a zoom lens, for which camera I buy (unless Olympus brought out a decent video).

The Sony gives me something great:

Very low light capability. That suits a lot of still photography I get caught up in. I'm not sure how I focus an A7"S", but it might be just as difficult with a GH-4 in low light. Perhaps worse.

Score to Sony

Shutter Sound

Score to GH-4

Price / Performance of platform zoom lens

Score to Sony (lens cost the same, the resolution of the A7 sensor brings out more information.

Bulk

Draw until teles

Video

Score to Sony. For me, I'd have been happy with just decent 1080P, at best ...  which means Sony wins because of its low light. When I have the infrasture for 4K with computer capacity, maybe a cheap HDMI 4K add on will be available.

I'll keep mFT for tele work, but for low light, A7"S" looks a winner to me. But that depends on how much its going to cost, too...

Does anybody know if the Sony a7s can deliver 120fps Full HD video HDMI on the new ATMOS Shogun? The recorder supports 1080p at 120fps so I'm just wondering if this might be the same situation as the "4k over HDMI only". So is there a "120fps Full HD over HDMI only"? I haven't seen anybody talking about this yet, nor did i find any information.