Sony A7S - 4K sample video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

yep.  funny how everyone is crying about 10bit vs 8 bit...  that slog is something to be more interested in.  having a good sensor readout and then giving the compressor pretty much the full dr of a 12mpx full frame sensor is something never before seen.  

If the DR can be captured nicely in the 8bit/4:2:2, then it's not a big problem. This first video looks like it is capturing some really nice highlights.

Banding would be my biggest concern.

But yea, DR trumps everything, imho. GH4 still looks a bit lightweight (11 stops or so?), to me, but time will tell.

I watched the sample footage on my 2K monitor and it's pretty impressive - the 5000 ISO and even the 12800 ISO shots were nice!

No line-skippig for the UHD is nice, but how does it do when outputting 1080 internally?

I'm assuming the 8-bit 4K footage could be downscaled to 444, 10bit 1080 as described before on EOSHD?

I've only ever compared 8-bit 420 vs 10-bit 422, so I don't really know how much difference there is on 8-bit 422 to 10-bit.

I added an 8bit 4:2:2 and 10bit 4:2:2 to my cg bit depth test.. if you go fullscreen and use the pause button (it goes by pretty fast) you can see how different they are.

but the gamma is cranked on this test to around 2x, intentionally to isolate the Y,Cr,Cb and emphasize banding and artifacts.

I added an 8bit 4:2:2 and 10bit 4:2:2 to my cg bit depth test.. if you go fullscreen and use the pause button (it goes by pretty fast) you can see how different they are.

but the gamma is cranked on this test to around 2x, intentionally to isolate the Y,Cr,Cb and emphasize banding and artifacts.

Well, quite a difference. To my eyes, the most significant differences are between the 10-bit and 8-bit after grading.
the 16-bit ones are nicer still, but not hugely so - probably not enough to justify the much larger file sizes.

the difference between 420 and 422 doesn't seem to be as significant.

Yes, I think Black Magic must be relieved that Sony didn't do 10bit 4:2:2 with this sensor and price. If it did 10bit I think I'd forget about the Panasonic GH4.

I think I'd like to see how specific examples coming from the a7s hold up after grading before deciding - and remember that there's the Slog with the a7s.

Nice presentation from Sony but damn those shots are static, not a pan, nothing.

Basically this is a presentation of how 4k should look, not conclusive how a7S does in 4k, sure it's super sharp and detailed but that is 4k.

I don't know, these constant upgrades never end, say we all go and buy a7s with an external recorder for 4k, one year later comes a new version of a7s with 4k internal and 10 bit output.

Marvelous little thing but in the end the fact it doesn't do 4k internally is a deal breaker, even with a perfect Full HD is still just for a moment, in 6 months or 1 year is gonna be, recorder or the a new version of a7s with internal 4k, more money and more money, never ends.

Wonder if we are ever gonna get another 5d mark 2, that thing was good for quite a few years, even now is heavily used for whoever doesn't have money for c100-c300. 

Wow, this is very helpful. Thanks!