Sony A7S specs announced - S for sensitivity. 4K via HDMI to "third party recorder"

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Did you look at the 5000iso footage ???! sooo clean ! 

Looks moiré free, sharp and clean.... 

Personally I don't care about 4K. 

1080p full pixel readout full frame at 50mbps is perfect for me. With an amazing sensor for stills as well... Can't wait for the summer. Disappointed that they did not give a precise date.. gonna be late like august or something, and no price :(. 

Yeah, I won't join the choir of whiners, either. I think the A7s sounds interesting indeed. All I wish to know now is how much will it cost.

Along with full specs and test runs by testers who know what to look for.

BTW, fellas, do you really need to start three or four similar methinks/mewhines threads for the very same topic?

It's rather confusing and distracting. Surely just one such topic should be enough. Until we get the actual EOSHD review thread.

Did you look at the 5000iso footage ???! sooo clean ! 

Looks moiré free, sharp and clean.... 

Personally I don't care about 4K. 

1080p full pixel readout full frame at 50mbps is perfect for me. With an amazing sensor for stills as well... Can't wait for the summer. Disappointed that they did not give a precise date.. gonna be late like august or something, and no price :(. 

Well, until out of camera files starts to circulate it's just speculation over a Youtube clip but it should be great indeed.

The let down as a camera is that I expect low fps in burst because it seems to have the same A7/R form factor which doesn't allow a proper shutter on it - unless they solved it - and the form factor is probably the reason it doesn't do 4K internally, which the lack of room for it, this camera would catch fire with the overheat or only record short clips.

Well, until out of camera files starts to circulate it's just speculation over a Youtube clip but it should be great indeed.

The let down as a camera is that I expect low fps in burst because it seems to have the same A7/R form factor which doesn't allow a proper shutter on it - unless they solved it - and the form factor is probably the reason it doesn't do 4K internally, which the lack of room for it, this camera would catch fire with the overheat or only record short clips.

Yep but I don't mind for the fps .. ;) just want FF stills quality for portrait and landscape, and  GH3 like video quality. Just hope the price is under 2k...

Yep but I don't mind for the fps .. ;) just want FF stills quality for portrait and landscape, and  GH3 like video quality. Just hope the price is under 2k...

Notice the product placement is one notch above A7R, I think about $3000 for price.

• Administrators

Moire-free? Don´t think so.

Rolling shutter? No shots on demo video.

8Bit? Sounds familiar ...

BUT:

It is so much better than Canons way! And we all are a little bit to petted with all the news from BM and Panasonic in the last year.

It will be as moire free as a JPEG still at full resolution. It reads out every pixel from the sensor in 4K video mode.

UMMMM? GH4/a7S

I was looking at, holding, playing with the a7 today, unfortunately this was ...after trying the new "Lieca" branded pana-42.5/1.2.

It feels like a toy camera with toy lens next to the GH3 and lovely new lens. But the larger frame and low light are seductive. I remember shooting in Tibet in 2001 with Sony cameras...great low light.

So what is one to do? This is the kinda problem we should all be happy to have!

Either camera in the right hands could produce gorgeous footage. Perhaps you buy one for all around production work and simply rent the a7S when you have to shoot by candle light? On board 4K and a strong lens line-up is a powerful force.  And a working external 10 bit 422 path for those who have to make the grade. Also you can easily put cine lens on the GH4. Ack what to do?

What if Panasonic had p2 based recorder waiting in the wings?

Let's call the whole thing off....you say GH4/ I say a7S etc...I'll just shoot it with my iPhone :) 

I don't care about the 4k hype at all for many many many reasons.  But 10bit 422 at 1080 should be there. 

In any case on the above clip at 2.24 with a 5.6 aperture and 120 12800 does it for me ! I want one.

Glad i didn't preorder the other beast yet. Hope to see some good reviews soon.