So, for under $10k which camera is the best bet in 2012?

Chad

Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Sony FS-700, one of the many DSLRs? I've been ready to buy a camera for a while, just waiting on one that really seems worth it for video!

For my purposes, which is to make You Tube videos with heavy use of green screen. I'm trying to decide which way to go.

I love all that the FS-700 offers, ND Filters, super high frame rates. But for less than half the price Blackmagic lets you shoot 2.5k raw. Yet it's missing XLR, and i'm really not sure which lenses you can use. I have no lenses right now, so i'd be buying specifically to work best with whatever camera we get. Plus we often need a front facing EVF, not even sure if you can connect an external one to Blackmagic's camera.

Guess i'll really have to think about it, but if anyone has any input i'd love to hear it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
The FS700 appears to offer a very interesting and versatile package, albeit I suspect you'll get better results recording externally - definitely one worth keeping an eye on. My gut (based on no science at all) is that the BM CC will be a great little package for high end YouTubers, especially those using a lot of VFX - exactly your kind of thing. Both will work excellently with Zeiss's CP.2 lenses, but they ain't cheap!

Sara's bang on: if you can afford to, wait, but expect to wait a while because you'll be at the back of the queue when you finally make up your mind. In the meantime, get in touch with other YouTube producers and see what they're thinking.

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=601.msg4210#msg4210 date=1334714820]
Youtubers? I think even the video of an entry level dSLR is wasted on youtube.
[/quote]
I'll admit YouTube is generally a terrible delivery format, but it does support very-HD and will evolve with the technology.

Indie filmmakers whose livelihood is from YouTube have been dying for a 2k+ camera in the sub-$10k range, many already using RED Scarlet or Epics if they can get their hands on them...

For an idea of the kind of content creator I'm talking about, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBftzMxDtIg

For me in this order:

1.- Fs700, better options, future proof and expandability. Need a external recorder for better green screen work.

2.- Fs100, great for low budget productions, as the FS700 need a external recorder for better green screen work.

3.- BlackMagic Cinema, great as is for green screen work with Raw at 12bit. Small form factor. Need more accessories than Sony FS to make it work at fullest.

Cheers.