z cam m4?

stefanocps

Hello, while i was searching for a XT4 to possibly replae my XT3 i came across some description of ezcam. Of course i knew it before, but i did not consider because its too basic setup, meaning that i would need a monitor at least and i don't know what else. Going deeper in to some articles i am realizang that it must be a very good quality camera. I  have seen a sample video and it seems amazing. I am getting really interested at it, but i would like to have opinion from real users, first of all about the minimum setup needed. For my budget i think i would not go beyong the M4. Wait for your opinion, i was really excited after watching a video

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have an E2 M4. I haven't gotten to use it much because of Covid, so I've only shot 2 small interviews, and a half dozen "walk around outside" tests.

The minimum setup is a CFast card, battery, lens, and phone. That's how I use it on a gimbal (I mentioned my setup in my post here). If you use it handheld, I would get a handle for each side. With a wide grip, it's very stable. There are some nice grips with control functions, but they are expensive. I would say that no matter what controls you use, it won't have the speed of a DSLR or cinema camera with more buttons and better ergonomics. It's not designed as a run and gun camera.

The image is very nice. There are lots of examples on the fb group, and I can shoot stuff if you want a specific test... likely limited to nature shots though. I wouldn't say the image its necessarily better than other cameras in the price range, though I like the color, high frame rate, and codec options. The app and the OFX plugin really set it apart from competition.

Some gotchas you will want to check before purchase:

- some Android phones just don't work with the app. I'd ask in the fb group for your specific model, if that's how you plan to use it.

- Timecode is a pain. You need 2 separate adapters. Or, you can set it over wifi from a jquery post (work in progress but it does work). Internal clock is atrocious, I got seconds of drift over a 20 minute period compared to the Zoom F4.

- Viltrox adapters don't work with many Autofocus lenses. Their support told me they don't support the M4... despite supporting the E2.

- It doesn't play nicely with the Ninja V. YMMV. Also saw some reports of it frying the HDMI port if connected to specific models of monitors, when both are powered from the same battery.

Yes quality of image for what i have seen i very very nice (though i don't know how much post production was on it, when coming to color) and it is what i am actracted at most. don't understand if prores is only via hdmi or if, in any case, the internal code is good for a smooth edit. The downside is what you said, it is not a quick camera, and this could stop me, because  often use it in a kind of run and gun. Perhaps for this better black magic?i read it is the same sensor, so the quality should be the same? Do i have to buy battery also?does it have internal mic?

4 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

don't understand if prores is only via hdmi or if, in any case, the internal code is good for a smooth edit.

It can record H.264, H.265, ProRes (all flavors), and ZRaw internally, if your card is fast enough. With the most recent firmware, you can even record ProRes in 120 fps. I'm unsure of the exact ProRes frame rate limits. You can also record ProRes Raw externally on the Nina V (again, some people have problems with it but I have never tested it), and you can record any YUV format externally at 10 bit 4:2:2 or lower.

7 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

The downside is what you said, it is not a quick camera, and this could stop me, because  often use it in a kind of run and gun. Perhaps for this better black magic?

If you're holding the camera by itself with no rig, then the Blackmagic will probably be easier. If you're putting it on a shoulder rig, neither one is ideal to be honest.

8 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

i read it is the same sensor, so the quality should be the same?

It is a closely related sensor to the P4K and GH5s, so dynamic range and noise are similar. The color processing is not the same, and the codecs aren't either.

9 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

Do i have to buy battery also?

Yes. It uses Sony NP batteries, or you can rig it with a V Mount.

10 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

does it have internal mic?

Yes, it has builtin mics. You can also use the 3.5mm jack in place of the internal mic, and with a dongle you can use dual XLR mics. And you can mix/match internal and XLR, for example using Left internal mic + Right XLR.

I would not say that is true. On Blackmagic you have a big touchscreen and lots of buttons and dial within finger reach. On Z Cam you will do more menu hunting and moving hands around to reach buttons, plus the rigging and wiring for a monitor makes it more awkward. For handheld a handle like the Rvlvr Clutch is useful with its custom dials.

I have a Zcam E2-M4 as well.

There is a great 3 part review by Adam Wilt here:

https://www.provideocoalition.com/review-z-cam-e2-m4-mft-cine-camera-part-1/

Things that I love about the E2-M4 are:

1. Sony sensor. Z-Cam color science.

• Great low light.
  • Great color rendition.
  • Great slow motion at 4k120p, no line skipping.
  • Good dynamic ranging with using Zlog or Flat profile.

2. 10-bit color to Pro-Res, (with the latest firmware) at all frame rates.

3. High resolution, decently low lag wireless HDMI to their iPhone app for monitoring and control.

4. It's a perfectly balanced cube. Better for mounting on a gimbal, and the wireless monitoring/control helps with the gimbal as well. Cinema camera form factor. No fans so it is completely silent.

5. Stereo mic level audio recording with phantom power via 5-pin XLR or 2 x XLR 3-pin to 5-pi n lemo adapter cable.

6. It can take a large battery mounted on the back.

On 4/27/2021 at 4:12 AM, KnightsFan said:

- Timecode is a pain. You need 2 separate adapters. Or, you can set it over wifi from a jquery post (work in progress but it does work). Internal clock is atrocious, I got seconds of drift over a 20 minute period compared to the Zoom F4.

Yup, Timecode Box on a camera full time is essential for all cameras. 

On 4/27/2021 at 4:33 AM, KnightsFan said:

Yes, it has builtin mics. You can also use the 3.5mm jack in place of the internal mic, and with a dongle you can use dual XLR mics. And you can mix/match internal and XLR, for example using Left internal mic + Right XLR.

Can it do more than two tracks?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 2:38 AM, stefanocps said:

i see...about the rigging, i always try to ave less rig as possible, don't say none, but minimal, let's say a smallrig cage, an external mic and perhaps a monitor.

As much as I love my ZCam (E2-S6), if you're not the type of person who likes to rig and customise their camera, then the ZCam's are probably not for you. These cameras kind of require you to be a bit of a camera nerd - if you know what you want and why, they are fantastic because they most likely will do what you need. However if you want something that you can just pick up and run with straight out of the box, then these are way off the mark.

Lots of people end up having problems (and complaining on the very helpful user Facebook page) about things like skipping frames on SSD's or frying the HDMI port, because they did not do their research on the correct media, cables, power solutions, etc.

On 5/7/2021 at 2:42 AM, barefoot_dp said:

... Lots of people end up having problems (and complaining on the very helpful user Facebook page) about things like skipping frames on SSD's or frying the HDMI port, because they did not do their research on the correct media, cables, power solutions, etc.

The latest firmware release notes for version 0.98.0 says "External SSD recording through USB performance improved" so that may help with skipping frames.  I've only recorded to C-Fast with it so I can't  say about the improvements.  Also with this firmware version there are many flavors of Pro Res so you can shoot LT if HQ is to much data for your drive speed/compatibility.

I did some low light recording and it does well in low light, depending on your ISO you get a fair amount of noise, but it holds its color well and the noise would be there with any other camera with a similar Sony sensor.  Very happy with the low light performance and noise/grain quality.