Full frame Sony A7S with 1.1x sensor crop in 4K mode and XAVC-S codec

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Do you know how much a FS700 costs ? do you know how much it costs with a cheap 4k recorder ?

Pricing and pushing boundaries is all relative. There was no 240fps (other than 320x240) on any camera under RED Epic, as far as I remember.

It was ground breaking and they could easily have held it back for another price point.

As for your second comment, you are actually backing up my point.... It should have been about $20k to get a 4K signal out of FS700 with Sony's gear, but they didn;t hold back, they enabled the stream to be recorded on a cheap (again, relativly) recorder by Convergent

Pricing and pushing boundaries is all relative. There was no 240fps (other than 320x240) on any camera under RED Epic, as far as I remember.

It was ground breaking and they could easily have held it back for another price point.

As for your second comment, you are actually backing up my point.... It should have been about $20k to get a 4K signal out of FS700 with Sony's gear, but they didn;t hold back, they enabled the stream to be recorded on a cheap (again, relativly) recorder by Convergent

I guess the expectations for ones money is different from person to person, some people expect to be given the moon in the sky and some almost nothing for a great deal of money or a bit more for even more money.

The shocking thing in all of this is when someone drops a bomb like magic lantern on you and you understand that raw recording coudl've been possible years ago, then you understand how ripped off you got for so many years, litle improvements like, hey, you now have stereo or a mic jack on you shitty DSLR, wow, and you have a crappy full HD now but at 24 fps, maybe if you pay triple you get 60 fps.

When you get used to accept little improvements and constant upgrades you might think sony is working day and night to bring you the mother of all cameras, but, in reality, they give scraps.

That's why i keep 1 FX and the workhorse m43's. 

Wonder what would happen if you use an E-Mount lens like the Sony 1.8/35mm lens on this camera? Presumably you could record in crop mode. Would a 4K recording be around 2.5K in this mode? If so, in fullframe terms that'd be 50mm at 2.5K (with optical stabilisation). Pretty sweet.

And if less of the sensor is being used, then the xavc codec might be more effective?

The shocking thing in all of this is when someone drops a bomb like magic lantern on you and you understand that raw recording coudl've been possible years ago, then you understand how ripped off you got for so many years,

This is a bit of a misnomer. The fast CF and SD cards required for raw video didn't exist 'years ago', which is likely why the DSLRs of yesteryear didn't have it as an option. Even now with the tech we have in 2014, raw recording is still very hit-or-miss and unstable. These cameras were released in '08. Developed with tech at latest from '07. It's not so much that camera companies were 'hiding' raw video... it's just that there was no way they could make it consumer-friendly. The tech did not exist then, in a stable and economical form.

But yea, the rest of your stuff is on point. 

As to the question with which you ended this post "Where is Canon in all of this", they were probably desperately trying to protect the margins of their high-end offerings, like the 1D C or the C series. Well, tough sh.., competition is here and they will have to respond if they don't want to concede the DSLR 4k market to Panasonic and Sony. My sense is that they will respond and they will have to respond soon.

It's the wild 'east' of 4K. I've committed to a mirror-less frontier. The advantages in terms of an evolutionary format seems to make sense to go with less reflections....ha ha. From a simple engineering piont of view a mirror less apparatus has less movable parts therefore lower cost and a more efficient delivery of the goods. Take out the middle 'man' so to speak. I know digital vs optical arguments. But I am lazy. I want light, fast and efficient. And I am the guy who used a wheel-barrow to move a 14X17 inch neg. camera to shoot a 22 minute exposer without a lens, as in pin hole. I love the art and craft of image making. But appreciate the ever evolving tools. 4K mirrrolr-ess is a paradigm shift. I will bet my 4X5 turn of the century Zeiss camera on it. In the near future it will not matter one byte what we shoot on. It will all be beyond our own sensory apparatus. It will resolve to what we see as meaningful. Go to the Met. in NYC and look at an original Stieglitz sliver halied print. Gorgeous. 

OK I know I am off topic. But look at this image. post-34385-0-51498800-1396748534_thumb.j

It seems that we can become somewhat pedantic in our infatuation with 'gear' I know I do. A pinhole camera can tell as profound a story as a 8K Ultra Hd camera. Alright I am waxing way too poetic again and being slightly sophomoric. My humble apologies. I lust after wondrous glass and gear just like the next guy!

good night from Canada...post-34385-0-51498800-1396748534_thumb.jpost-34385-0-51498800-1396748534_thumb.j

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Will the 4K A7s cost $2K or $4K ? The 4K AX100 cost $2K.
13665102253_36d97858c8_c.jpg

2 thousand dollars for it doesn't sound realistic or possible at all. It must sit higher above their existing A7 (and A7R possibly). Since it doesn't replace them. They can't make a camera that's cheaper than the A7 that's better, more speced, and records 4K. Hope I am wrong though!

It will have to sit above both of the existing models, I was speculating something around 3K. But according to that announcement above, it will probably be 4k.