Full frame Sony A7S with 1.1x sensor crop in 4K mode and XAVC-S codec

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why do people take any of Andrews words seriously?  

Andrew says "I also did some research on XAVC-S. It records in MP4 format but perhaps rather disturbingly it has a much lower bitrate than the GH4′s 4K codec. It is just 60Mbit/s vs 100Mbit/s on the GH4 in Ultra HD."  He did his research eh?.  

Then explain the Sony FDR-AX1's 150M/bit XAVC-S in which a 1 minute research would find and I quote, "In order to provide 4K video recording in a consumer model, Sony designed the FDR-AX1 to support the XAVC-S 4K/HD recording format which is usually reserved for professional applications. However, since the XAVC-S codec will save as an MP4 wrapper, you can still create web-friendly videos that can be easily shared on social media sites like YouTube. Another highlight of the XAVC-S recording format is its ability to record images at 150 Mbps in 4K".  

Seriously, do your homework Andrew.  

AX1 does 150Mbps 4K with XAVC-S, 60Mbps is a chosen limitation of the AX100 aimed at consumers. http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.sonydigitalimaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AX1_Brochure.pdf&sa=U&ei=9nY_U7zKE4nwkAWakIHADQ&ved=0CBUQFjAE&usg=AFQjCNEnzhcRHMt1363hqjOHZH4woLmqtg

Edit: 

150Mbps @ 50/60fps

100Mbps @ 24/25/30fps

But this shows XAVC-S is not limited to 60Mbps. 

Why do people take any of Andrews words seriously?  

Andrew says "I also did some research on XAVC-S. It records in MP4 format but perhaps rather disturbingly it has a much lower bitrate than the GH4′s 4K codec. It is just 60Mbit/s vs 100Mbit/s on the GH4 in Ultra HD."  He did his research eh?.  

Then explain the Sony FDR-AX1's 150M/bit XAVC-S in which a 1 minute research would find and I quote, "In order to provide 4K video recording in a consumer model, Sony designed the FDR-AX1 to support the XAVC-S 4K/HD recording format which is usually reserved for professional applications. However, since the XAVC-S codec will save as an MP4 wrapper, you can still create web-friendly videos that can be easily shared on social media sites like YouTube. Another highlight of the XAVC-S recording format is its ability to record images at 150 Mbps in 4K".  

Seriously, do your homework Andrew.  

I don't know, there are always factual errors in every one of Andrew's posts. Like the one about the GH4 being 'the first 4K camera for $2000'... Uhm, nah. 

What kind of media it will use for 4k XAVC S?. If they decided to use SD cards, we can safely assume that the bit rate is going to be limited to 60Mbps. But if it uses the new XQD cards, then there is a big chance that the maximum bit rate is going to be the same as the Sony FDR-AX1 (150Mbps); as long as there is no overheating issues.

What kind of media it will use for 4k XAVC S?. If they decided to use SD cards, we can safely assume that the bit rate is going to be limited to 60Mbps. But if it uses the new XQD cards, then there is a big chance that the maximum bit rate is going to be the same as the Sony FDR-AX1 (150Mbps); as long as there is no overheating issues.

Not necessarily. U3 SD cards are rated to handle 240mbps and there are SD cards that will do a lot more. The BMPCC uses a much higher bit rate than that shooting raw—although only a few cards can handle it.

EDIT: Knowing Sony this is just wishful thinking. If there's an excuse to require a proprietary memory card they'll take it! Consumer codec but we'll require a pro level card. Sigh.

I don't know, there are always factual errors in every one of Andrew's posts. Like the one about the GH4 being 'the first 4K camera for $2000'... Uhm, nah. 

I'm all for fact checking, but you're acting like he's the New York Times or something. Give the dude a little slack.

Not necessarily. U3 SD cards are rated to handle 240mbps and there are SD cards that will do a lot more. The BMPCC uses a much higher bit rate than that shooting raw—although only a few cards can handle it.

EDIT: Knowing Sony this is just wishful thinking. If there's an excuse to require a proprietary memory card they'll take it! Consumer codec but we'll require a pro level card. Sigh.

With Sony it's always a wishful thinking. But if you think that they chose a 12MP instead of what they would normally do, that something that can make us wonder what's gonna be this time, will take the next step or step back?

I have no expectations. LOL.