NAB update: Exclusive interview with Blackmagic Cine shooter John Brawley / Panasonic AF100 successor 'deleted'...?

Andrew Reid

[quote author=tttulio link=topic=600.msg4201#msg4201 date=1334701544]
The question I really wanted to know, is: Any way to change the mount? With a small sensor an Canon EF mount there will never be a wide angle enough. At least a PL, C-mount, or even Sony's E-mount gives you loads more possibilities.
[/quote]

Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron all make 10mm wide zooms and Sigma has the 8mm-16mm zoom.  The Tokina 11-16mm is another great option.  None will be "super" wide but should be around 28mm or less FOV.

Workable.

And if you don't mind some distortion, Samyang 8mm f/3.5 is another excellent option for establishing shots.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=600.msg4179#msg4179 date=1334686665]
[quote author=Olphus link=topic=600.msg4171#msg4171 date=1334683685]
$3000 in the U.S. and probably £3200 in the UK >:(
[/quote]

Wrong - £2400. I just ordered at CVP. Links are on the Black Magic Design site.
[/quote]

£2310 at Jigsaw

Does this Blackmagic camera takes EF-S lens too?
I think the pricing is an introduction for a new company. They will have difficulty convincing the masses if it is price too high competing against big name brands. To be honest if it cost $15k few will look at this and instead go along with the more established make. Once the reputation is built they will go the same way as the rest and future models with even minor upgrade costing huge amount.

Boy I wish Blackmagic hadn't given this camera aninternal battery. Sure, you can connect it to some external batteries, but having to fiddle with extra wires and batteries just makes it harder to carry around, and attract more attention. With that form factor, I was really hoping this might be a good DSLR replacement for me as I do pretty much only documentary shooting where it's beneficial not to stand out/be obviously using expensive pro cameras. This thing looks kind of like a still camera, and although I'd prefer a larger sensor for better low-light and a smaller crop factor, I would SERIOUSLY be considering buying one...except for the battery. A 90-minute internal battery is almost totally useless to me. Really, an internal battery at all seems like kind of a terrible idea, although if it lasted a lot longer (say, five or six hours of shooting per charge) I could work with it.

So, Black magic, if you're reading this, I'm sure you're going to sell quite well anyway, so please continue down this path and make the next camera a similar one with a similar form factor but replaceable batteries! (And ideally a larger sensor too, 2x crop is a bit much. Maybe a Super35/aps-c version with replaceable batteries? I'd pay $5k+ for that.

As for Panasonic, I see this as good news. I know they've put a lot into micro 4/3, but I think a lot of people prefer larger sensors, and as any good poker player knows, the fact that you've invested a lot in something already never justifies investing more on its own. I think this is a good time to Panasonic to maybe rebuild a little bit around a bigger sensor, perhaps Super35 or bigger. I'd love to see that start with the GH3....but what are the chances of that?

What is with all the battery complaints? 

Buy some nasty clamps or velcro and be done with it.  Not difficult.  Grips would rig FAR more complex lighting and audio setups back in the film days when the DP would have his guys hand hold shots.

Like Andrew said earlier - these types of cinema tools are PART of a RIG that YOU assemble.

Buy a glidecam for $399 and there are DOZENS of ways to support extra batteries and audio devices plugged in.

[quote author=chinageeks link=topic=600.msg4211#msg4211 date=1334717076]
Boy I wish Blackmagic hadn't given this camera aninternal battery. Sure, you can connect it to some external batteries, but having to fiddle with extra wires and batteries just makes it harder to carry around...

As for Panasonic, I see this as good news. I know they've put a lot into micro 4/3, but I think a lot of people prefer larger sensors, and as any good poker player knows, the fact that you've invested a lot in something already never justifies investing more on its own. I think this is a good time to Panasonic to maybe rebuild a little bit around a bigger sensor, perhaps Super35 or bigger. I'd love to see that start with the GH3....but what are the chances of that?
[/quote]

I don't see the battery thing being that big an issue, it's a little annoying, but how long does a Scarlet run on a Redvolt for? Also in the Q&A it was stated that battery grips etc would be available soon, which seems fine to me. In fact the fact that the thing HAS a battery in the main brain box is a big plus to me - especially if there are other power options like external batteries and 12v plug in batteries that CHARGE the internal one, that means continuous battery shooting, when an external unit dies, simply swap it out - whilst still shooting off the internal. Seems pretty clever to me.

Didn't Panasonic just release a firmware update for the AF100 giving it 50/60p 28Mbit codec? I can't believe that AG-AF line is going to be replaced with a s35 line - Panasonic developing a whole line of new lenses for just that series of camera? I doubt it. Panasonic didn't even develop their own mount for their stills cameras which arguably is a much much bigger market all in. IF Panasonic develop an s35 camera it will be PL mount and probably designed to compete against Sony F3. IF the AG-AF series are being discontinued it probably has more to do with the AF100 being discontinued before it's successor is announced, not a complete canning of the line. My guess would be that AF100 sales have dropped significantly and the new model isn't quite ready yet (or delayed due to 'seeing' the competitions hand).

The AG-AF series would require such a small amount of development for Panasonic, that it would be silly for them to delete the line.

[quote author=bwhitz link=topic=600.msg4217#msg4217 date=1334725814]
[quote author=abortabort link=topic=600.msg4215#msg4215 date=1334723664]
Didn't Panasonic just release a firmware update for the AF100 giving it 50/60p 28Mbit codec?
[/quote]

A 28mb/s codec? HAHAHAH... what is this 1997?
[/quote]

Apparently! Anyway at least it brings it in line with the FS100 I guess?

http://www.digitalmedia-world.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4130:panasonic-upgrades-ag-ac160a-ac130a-avccam-hd-and-af-100-&catid=35:cameras&Itemid=30

Didn't Panasonic just release a firmware update for the AF100 giving it 50/60p 28Mbit codec?
[/quote]

[/quote]

28Mbit is not that bad for AVCHD.  Obviously it could be better, but it isn't horrific or anything.

I don't see the battery thing being that big an issue, it's a little annoying, but how long does a Scarlet run on a Redvolt for? Also in the Q&A it was stated that battery grips etc would be available soon, which seems fine to me. I
[/quote]

It's a big issue to anyone who wants to do news or documentary work (there's a reason you don't see a lot of RED in those fields either). A battery grip could be a viable option, but I'm having trouble seeing how it could attach in a way that makes any sense, ergonomically, and either way, it adds bulk to the package, which attracts attention. For me personally, that's a big deal because attracting the wrong kind of attention can be seriously dangerous for some of our subjects.

This will be a great camera for lots of applications, I'm sure...I'm just disappointed because it comes so close to what I've been really wanting -- a truly cinema-oriented camera with a low-profile, DSLR-style form factor. And it just seems like interchangable batteries in the camera would have been so easy, and it's what everyone else does for a reason. Frustrating!

Anyway, I'll stick to the old guard of HDSLRs for the time being, they certainly get the job done. But I wish someone could come out with something for me to get [i]really[/i] excited about (as opposed to the Canon 1D C which is both out of my budget and missing a lot of the things I want in a cinema camera, although the form factor is there).

I never liked the bright outdoor look of the GH2 even with the hack. DR wasnt quite there, highlight clipping was poor and lack the roll off look of the 5D2. The wacky consumer grade colours and electronic look is also very off putting.
The Blackmagic appears to answer those short commings and more.

[quote author=chinageeks link=topic=600.msg4211#msg4211 date=1334717076]
Boy I wish Blackmagic hadn't given this camera aninternal battery. Sure, you can connect it to some external batteries, but having to fiddle with extra wires and batteries just makes it harder to carry around, and attract more attention. With that form factor, I was really hoping this might be a good DSLR replacement for me as I do pretty much only documentary shooting where it's beneficial not to stand out/be obviously using expensive pro cameras. This thing looks kind of like a still camera, and although I'd prefer a larger sensor for better low-light and a smaller crop factor, I would SERIOUSLY be considering buying one...except for the battery. A 90-minute internal battery is almost totally useless to me. Really, an internal battery at all seems like kind of a terrible idea, although if it lasted a lot longer (say, five or six hours of shooting per charge) I could work with it.
[/quote]

Blackmagic has been drinking to much of the Apple koolaid I think. I don't see a pro video camera as an appropriate venue for the "limit functionality for simplicity" philosophy. The more I look at the more I just see the exact demographic they are going for. Dudes with a 3000$ macbook pro that they upgrade every 2 years and a 5dII that spends most of its time in the closet.  we shall see if this camera can compete while it's outputing 1080p, says 13 stops dynamic range but if that's only in 2.5k raw it won't dominate.

Still wish Sony or Panasonic or Canon would just open up their cameras, they could probably give us a Raw format out of the 1dx or 5dIII if they really wanted that would blow this away.

The recording directly onto an SSD is a great idea though. But seeing how poorly they implemented USB 3.0 on some their devices I'm pretty sceptical of every thunderbolt port being equal, for see lots of "bandwidth" issues for add in cards and laptops.

What up Andrew! this whole revolution was supposed to be about Vista vision and we just keep getting further and further away, you could fit more than four of these sensors on a 5dII's chip.  I want to get away from the Reds and the small time companies without the dominating proprietary sensor technology.  Firmware is not that important that I'd be willing to give up on Sony/Panasonic/Canon chips.

this is the final quote from an article by Michael Murie in Filmmakermag about 4k that pertains to 2 1/2K as well and why buying this camera for most filmmakers is even at $3k a waste of money.
http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/news/2012/04/the-empire-strikes-back-canon-goes-4k/

[i]It’s ironic that today we’re salivating over 4K cameras, when the reality is that many of the current HD camcorders haven’t been pushing the resolution that can be stored in a 1920×1080 frame. With the line skipping, debayering, and other processing, it’s often difficult to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p images.

I can’t help but think that the majority of shooters buying 4K cameras over the next couple of years will be upgrading their computer systems, storage and archiving systems to deal with the large amounts of data these 4K cameras will produce, all with the ultimate goal of producing a more detailed and vibrant HD image, rather than 4K deliverables.[/i]

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=600.msg4222#msg4222 date=1334729079]
I never liked the bright outdoor look of the GH2 even with the hack. DR wasnt quite there, highlight clipping was poor and lack the roll off look of the 5D2. The wacky consumer grade colours and electronic look is also very off putting.
The Blackmagic appears to answer those short commings and more.
[/quote]
completely agree, ive been trying to say this for awhile with out getting slammed by people swearing by their gh2, i have one, like it a lot, but though its sharp, there is nothing cinematic about it.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Plus, you get to pay $250 for the upgrade.

[quote author=mike_tee_vee link=topic=600.msg4182#msg4182 date=1334689675]
It's a bloody shame that the AG-AF line is dead.  Panasonic have no clue on how to develop an eco-system, and their divisions clearly do not communicate with each other. 
[/quote]

Let me say right here and now that the AF100 is not dead and will continue to thrive.  Where this sort of information that it is dead comes from is beyond my imagination, especially if you are at NAB. We very clearly have an AF100 area there. We also are showing a mock up of a 4K camera and we have a very strong story on the next generation of codecs with AVC Ultra which can provide for onboard recording of that 4:4:4 signal.  As far as developing an eco-system within the Panasonic line, I will point you to the fact that that is indeed what we do do.  May I point you to the P2 lineup, in DVCPRO up to HD and how about AVC-Intra, and in the less expensive arena, our AVCCAM.  All of these work with virtually every non-linear edit system out there.  The AVC-Ultra will be the next ubiquitous codec to work across all platforms. 

I would appreciate a little more professionalism from the reporting staff here and ask that you check your rumors with the product manager in the division of Panasonic that delivers the product.  I am the product manager for the AF100 and I can assure everyone that it is definitely here to stay. 
Best regards,

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Panasonic

• Administrators
[quote author=JanLivingston link=topic=600.msg4239#msg4239 date=1334756810]
[quote author=mike_tee_vee link=topic=600.msg4182#msg4182 date=1334689675]
It's a bloody shame that the AG-AF line is dead.  Panasonic have no clue on how to develop an eco-system, and their divisions clearly do not communicate with each other. 
[/quote]

Let me say right here and now that the AF100 is not dead and will continue to thrive.  Where this sort of information that it is dead comes from is beyond my imagination, especially if you are at NAB. We very clearly have an AF100 area there. We also are showing a mock up of a 4K camera and we have a very strong story on the next generation of codecs with AVC Ultra which can provide for onboard recording of that 4:4:4 signal.  As far as developing an eco-system within the Panasonic line, I will point you to the fact that that is indeed what we do do.  May I point you to the P2 lineup, in DVCPRO up to HD and how about AVC-Intra, and in the less expensive arena, our AVCCAM.  All of these work with virtually every non-linear edit system out there.  The AVC-Ultra will be the next ubiquitous codec to work across all platforms. 

I would appreciate a little more professionalism from the reporting staff here and ask that you check your rumors with the product manager in the division of Panasonic that delivers the product.  I am the product manager for the AF100 and I can assure everyone that it is definitely here to stay. 
Best regards,

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Panasonic
[/quote]

It is clearly marked as a rumour not fact. My source's exact words were:

"The AGAF100 is not selling well and they decided to delete the new AG AF camera release. The main reason is that they now will prefer to focus on Super35mm."

Now I use my logic and say - S35 is the industry standard and I get leaks from within Panasonic myself, quite often. I also don't think Panasonic's approach to the lower end of the cinema market is working at the moment, because the AF100 gets beaten for image quality by their own consumer division.

PLEASE Jan take a hint from Blackmagic Design and start giving us what we need.

I have no intention to run my editorial past official lines but it helps to get in touch occasionally. It is my site and I report what I hear from the people I trust. Also a bit more conciliatory tone from you Jan toward the GH2 hack community wouldn't go amiss. Cheers.

PS
P2 media is desirable only for the very high end of broadcast who need the standardised infrastructure. For us, we're far more willing to pay mass market rates for media like $1 per GB for SSD from Kingston over the ridiculously marked up rates for proprietary stuff, like $3200 for the 256GB SSD from Red. This is the kind of thing which prevents camera sales.

Jan

Thank you for responding to this thread! Would love to see more of you here.

Will there be a follow up model to the AF100 I appreciate the camera was initially a ground breaker in terms of being the first camera to offer a large sensor and the camera was a reasonable cost. It would be fantastic to see a new upgraded version in the four thirds format that gives a better sensor more latitude and 10 bit out.