NAB update: Exclusive interview with Blackmagic Cine shooter John Brawley / Panasonic AF100 successor 'deleted'...?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

Above: [url="http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2012/04/17/nab-2012-matt-allard-talks-in-detail-to-blackmagic-about-their-2995-digital-cinema-camera/"]DSLRNewsShooter[/url] investigates the Blackmagic Cinema Camera on the NAB show floor in Las Vegas

EOSHD spoke to John Brawley today, the pro shooter close to the Blackmagic team and with one of the first prototype cameras. You can see all the footage [url="http://vimeopro.com/johnbrawleytests/blackmagic-cinema-camera"]here[/url]

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7943/nab-update-exclusive-interview-with-blackmagic-cine-shooter-john-brawley-panasonic-af100-successor-deleted/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is great for the price. With that said, if it was super 35mm and had some more features such as higher frame rates, crop mode, etc... I would have gladly paid a couple more thousand dollars. Maybe on the next round. I'm just glad they're doing this

By the way Andrew, are your tests with the 5D3 with the OLP filter removed coming soon? I'm dying to see the results. If it's positive, I might just get the 5D3 and have it modified. In the USA, Maxmax will do it for about $600, and they've done several 5D3 mods already.

I think if Blackmagic became the one company that listened to the customers (unlike Canon), I think they could make a killing in the long run.

I like the simplicity of this camera. With a handle, it's be a great run and gun / solo shooter. I'm on the fence between Canon and Sony, and the main thing about Sony is their terrible ergonomics. It's so dated, and with 100 buttons all over the place.

The Black Magic is so modern with it's buttons and interfacing. They're thinking like Apple, and I love it.

• Administrators
[quote author=Olphus link=topic=600.msg4171#msg4171 date=1334683685]
$3000 in the U.S. and probably £3200 in the UK >:(
[/quote]

Wrong - £2400. I just ordered at CVP. Links are on the Black Magic Design site.

It's a bloody shame that the AG-AF line is dead.  Panasonic have no clue on how to develop an eco-system, and their divisions clearly do not communicate with each other.  For all the criticism Sony receive on proprietary formats (i.e. Memory Stick), they do a pretty good job of integrating things across all their different divisions. 

it's probably a smart move to kill the AF line, what with sony's recent publicity over the fs700.

If the af100 was doing poorly already, I cant imagine offering an upgrade would be much better.

However, I do believe there is room for panasonic to play at the <10k price point.

Re-imagining a new line with a larger sensor that will (hopefully) also be  introduced with the gh3 would be welcomed by all, i'm sure.

[quote author=mike_tee_vee link=topic=600.msg4182#msg4182 date=1334689675]
It's a bloody shame that the AG-AF line is dead.  Panasonic have no clue on how to develop an eco-system, and their divisions clearly do not communicate with each other.  For all the criticism Sony receive on proprietary formats (i.e. Memory Stick), they do a pretty good job of integrating things across all their different divisions. 
[/quote]

Yes, but hopefully they're developing a s35mm camcorder for the $5000ish market. I just watched a interview from the Panasonic booth and they had a mockup of a new 4k varicam lineup. Looks extremely interesting if it ends up being somehow affordable! Probably not.

http://blip.tv/gamerlivetv/nab-2012-panasonic-shows-off-4k-varicam-prototype-camera-6091636

He actually says that it wont be a 4/3 but a "cinema sensor".

Pretty obvious why panasonic are getting rid of the AF line.  Because to reasonably improve the sensor would have undermined the higher priced future cameras. Now they can bring out a super 35mm sensor cam for £12000

ONLY

Black Magic have stopped them cold!

Just gets better n better!

When Red originally started they claimed they wanted to stop the endless cycle of forcing consumers to buy the next big thing and giving us a fair deal. Funny how its all panned out. Seems all Red did was cater for the pro's. In the end Black Magic it seems have championed the cause of the little guy.

I can't see the the big manufacturers who were hoping to persuade indie film makers into mortgaging there homes will get away with it now.

Difficult to see what they will do as the argument to persuade people is a dead duck. All they can do is face a year of losses and try to do better next year in my opinion.

The best thing Panasonic can do is come out with a Super 35mm format. The micro 4 3rds format just crippled them in terms of professional status, as it's just not seen as Professional. Might be OK for the GH2, but for the higher end gear, people want a minimum of APS-C. Just the way it is.

I seriously hope Panny does a good super 35mm of some sort, maybe even a DSLR with a super 35 crop.

With that said, it seems really hard to do because they've spent years trying to establish lenses for the M43 format, and those lenses will vignette like crazy on 1.5x crop. Plus it will piss off all those people who bought m43 lenses, some of which are expensive like the Voightlander.

They are between a rock and hard place, but sometimes as hard as it is to do, you just have to abandon your old platform to move to the future.

[quote author=gene_can_sing link=topic=600.msg4193#msg4193 date=1334698640]
The best thing Panasonic can do is come out with a Super 35mm format. The micro 4 3rds format just crippled them in terms of professional status, as it's just not seen as Professional. Might be OK for the GH2, but for the higher end gear, people want a minimum of APS-C. Just the way it is.

I seriously hope Panny does a good super 35mm of some sort, maybe even a DSLR with a super 35 crop.

With that said, it seems really hard to do because they've spent years trying to establish lenses for the M43 format, and those lenses will vignette like crazy on 1.5x crop. Plus it will piss off all those people who bought m43 lenses, some of which are expensive like the Voightlander.

They are between a rock and hard place, but sometimes as hard as it is to do, you just have to abandon your old platform to move to the future.
[/quote]

..then why do many pros consider s16 acceptable?

Yes but why is four thirds not seen as professional Its actually a good idea. Maybe its to do with the way they cripple their cameras that might be the problem IE the af101 supposed to be 1080p actually resolves 670 lines with 8 bit out and other issues. The hacked GH2 slams it. Four thirds could actually be a VERY professional format. All this Must have silly bokeh levels is UN professional if you ask me. Some of the new four third lenses are better than pro 35mm lenses even two f2 zooms the only ones in the world at that speed.

[quote author=christianhubbard link=topic=600.msg4194#msg4194 date=1334699405]
[quote author=gene_can_sing link=topic=600.msg4193#msg4193 date=1334698640]

[/quote]

..then why do many pros consider s16 acceptable?
[/quote]

For every S16 project that is shot, there are about 100 shot in S35. S16 is more of a specific look that is requested when a different look is wanted. As for shallow DOF, the reason why it's commonly used in narrative is because it's a good way to tell the story, to isolate actors and key elements. Probably overused in this day and age, but it's is really good for telling stories.

The GH2 proves you don't even need to worry so much about the m4/3 sensor, it's got plenty of oomph!  We just need more powerful processing engine to allow 10bit 4:4:4 and 120fps.  Slap a ND filter on that baby and you have just about everything you could want.  The only issue with the current Panny processors is Dynamic Range.  They have to improve the tech in a way that will get at least 3 more stops of range.  I think they're a lot closer to having a compelling product if they just get more imaginative.

Sorry to go off topic, but what took me by surprise here is that John shot that Dusk clip right outside my friend's house! Want to see how those shoes in the 2nd shot of John's clip ended up on the powerlines? This music video I made [url=http://vimeo.com/40200111]http://vimeo.com/40200111[/url] shows the guy actually throwing them there, around the 3 minute mark.

My only concern about this camera is that it appears to be a Mac only device. Or at least not compatible with anything other than FCP X and Avid.

[quote author=Glenn Thomas link=topic=600.msg4203#msg4203 date=1334706693]
... My only concern about this camera is that it appears to be a Mac only device. Or at least not compatible with anything other than FCP X and Avid.
[/quote]

It's been said before here and other places - If that is your only concern then you are golden because last time I used Avid it was running on a below average HP ( that's a PC windows i'm sure ) and Adobe CS5.5 and up can handle ProRes as good as any format you through at it.

I know the Pro line from Panasonic work independently to the consumer line as the Lumix, but maybe they kill the AF line for establish a Lumix Pro line with the GH3, weatherproofing, bigger and stronger, the lens that Panasonic show as prototypes point just that.

So, the AF maybe can´t compete against Sony FS series but a GH3 Pro can compete against Nikon/Canon/Sony DSLR in video areas.

P.D: NAB day 3, i´m still loving the Blackmagic Cinema Camera.