Panasonic GH4 Production Diary - Day 4 - Low light

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Grade original 4K MOV files from the pre-production Panasonic GH4 here - https://www.copy.com/browse/copy/GH4

Is the GH4 a match for full frame in low light? The answer, surprisingly, is yes...

Read the full article here

That copy.com link dosen´t work, there is nothing when i loggin in.    

I hope eoshd forum can do camera test whit blackmagic pocket whit metabones to compare to panasonic gh4 whit metabones.

it will nice to see low ligth test, color, detail, sharpness, raw and proress files. 

outside enviroment like this test.

thanks 

That copy.com link dosen´t work, there is nothing when i loggin in.    

I hope eoshd forum can do camera test whit blackmagic pocket whit metabones to compare to panasonic gh4 whit metabones.

it will nice to see low ligth test, color, detail, sharpness, raw and proress files. 

outside enviroment like this test.

thanks 

Hoping to see the source files or at least a few framegrabs from the ungraded files as well.

Dynamic Range seems pretty bad compared to the 5D MKIII :(

• Administrators

Andrew, I know you've shot with the FS100, which is great in low light, how do you think the GH4 compares?

Not quite as clean as FS100 in low light but with some post processing you can get them pretty close to each other.

Shoot 4K on GH4, add noise reduction plugin, downscale to 1080p.

Four parts! It's great to have someone actually testing the camera as we all need to be tested, respect. 

The low light is really impressive from a noise perspective. I also imagine denoising in 4K then downscaling will be brilliant.

my only worry here how hard-clipped the car bonnet on the right is: the 5D3 rolls off a lot more smoothly than the GH4 here, which appears higher contrast and lower DR. 

was this shot in GH4s flattest profile or this a characteristic of it's sensor and colour science, or is it just a grading aesthetic choice?

A dynamic range torture test would be great to see vs 5D iii, if you get some time

It would be nice to see A gh4 test with the internal noise reduction at these isos (-5 to 0). Plus 5d3 h264 as well as the raw. I have my 5d3 setup for raw but typically the projects I'm working on can't justify the extra work flow.

Was this shot at 4k then down sampled or shot at 1080 on the gh4?

Also, the copy link still isnt working, it would be awesome to get that working.

Keep up the great work.

• Administrators

Did Day 5 post just stop now that some company had a new 4K camera to show off? Its been 2 days now, time to see it. 

Frank has shot a ton of nice slow-mo stuff and I want to wait to see if any of it can be included on Day 5's diary because some of it is work for other clients and he has to get permission.

Also NAB has started and I need to focus on that, as well as finishing my A7/A7R/A7S lenses book.

So Day 5 will come later, kind of more logical that way rather than rushing something out that isn't ready :)

• Administrators

Was this shot at 4k then down sampled or shot at 1080 on the gh4?

Also, the copy link still isnt working, it would be awesome to get that working.

Shot at 4K and dropped onto a 1080p timeline, scaled 50% in Premiere.

Which copy link is broken? Let me know and I'll have a look.

Thanks for all of your work, Andrew, and for providing such valuable info (yes, I clicked the donate button).  

I watched the low light comparison video and said "I was afraid of that.  It doesn't look as good at 6400 as a full frame sensor."  Then I had to stop myself. "What am I saying?  Of course it doesn't have as little noise as a full frame sensor at 6400. Duh! But when exactly was the last time I shot anything above 1600 iso?"  Try never - and I've been in the business 30+ years.  When I look at everything the GH4 has to offer compared to other cameras, I think it may be the best all around camera ever made.  It has every feature I've ever wanted, an amazing price point, it's a perfectly ergonomic stand-alone camera (without the need for some sort of "Frankenstein rig" in order to do even the simplest shoot)... But most important are the undeniably stunning images it produces.  As a director and a production company owner, I just keep thinking that other manufacturers have got to be scrambling to offer something equal to the GH4 (not just a couple of selling points) without competing with their own higher-end cameras.  I'm certain they find themselves starting many conversations with "Well, yeah, but..."  

• Administrators

Good thing is we now have a choice. A7S for low light 4K under $2k. GH4 for internally recorded 4K under $2k.

Both make superb 2K solutions as well because of the benefits of oversampling 2K from a 4K image in post.

Bob you get it better than many....

And I love the GH4 for same reason I loved the GH1... at the time, stunning image, lots of features, for low prices and no hassle. Very creative.

Good thing is we now have a choice. A7S for low light 4K under $2k. GH4 for internally recorded 4K under $2k.

Both make superb 2K solutions as well because of the benefits of oversampling 2K from a 4K image in post.

Bob you get it better than many....

And I love the GH4 for same reason I loved the GH1... at the time, stunning image, lots of features, for low prices and no hassle. Very creative.

In the words of Philip Bloom. "Let's get this straight, quad HD isn't 4k. (Talking about bmcc)" but it applies here too. A7s does a full frame UHD video, not DCI 4k like the gh4... Unless I missed something in the spec sheet.

And you are looking at the A7s + atomos for $4k to get any sort of 4k ability. And $2k for gh4 with internal 4k.

Anyways... The copy.com link that doesn't work is this "https://www.copy.com/browse/copy/GH4" that's your URL link. You need to get the "share" link for the folder containing the files and post that.

I just watched this video on my 55" Samsumg 1080p television from my couch, I can't really see any noise and the gh4/5d3. The GH3 looks bad though.

I watched some of the other videos as well and the GH4 looks like cinema quality sharpness and stuff on the TV.  I'm excited.