Sony A7S 4K full frame mirrorless camera announced Sunday at NAB?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
4K A7S

Various sources have told Sony Alpha Rumors that an A7S is coming on Sunday "in Las Vegas". It isn't hard to figure out what is starting in Las Vegas this weekend. If the rumours are true the Sony A7S will be at NAB 2014 - the largest video, broadcast and cinema trade show of the year.

Is Sony about to give us a 'full frame GH4'?

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Full frame 4k in a small body?, I don't believe Sony can launch a product like that right now (hope to be wrong here) my guess is this:

-Hybrid AF system similar as the a6000
-Up to 7 frame-per-second continuous shooting with AF

-29mins record time limit removed.

-Improved sensor readout to increase video quality maybe include XAVC S format.

Maybe Sony will try to introduce the a7s as a good video documentary tool.

CONFIRMED !!!!!!! IT will be 4K !!!!! absolutely awesome !!!!! Imagine A6000 video features (zebra peaking 60fps) with A7 photo quality, and 4K video !!!!! Finally a compact camera with awesome video quality and stills ! it is gonna be awesome, thanks Sony. Take my cash. 2 years I wait this .... 

Poor Panasonic... They should have tried to release it earlier. Too much time between announcement and shipment. If Sony drops this bomb now (and releases it soon), this might seriously hurt GH4 sales...

Can we stop comparing everything to the GH4 please?

If the A7S is a 4K A7, we definitely can't stop comparing it to the GH4 because it would actually be the first direct competitor to the GH4. Even though their sensor size is different.

Haha Andrew, here comes your 50 1.2.

I guess the codec will be crap but let's wait. I wish metabone would come up with a medium format speed booster, they have 70mm free flange distance, but I guess they won't because they designed these "almost diffraction limited" lenses for panavision which I guess are large image circles compressed for smaller sensors but with high quality design and components.

Poor Panasonic... They should have tried to release it earlier. Too much time between announcement and shipment. If Sony drops this bomb now (and releases it soon), this might seriously hurt GH4 sales...

Might, sure. But cost and implementation are two massive, impossible-to-overlook factors. If it comes in at $2999, is it really a direct competitor? What if it only offers UHD? What if the compression isn't as elegant as Panasonic? What if it's significantly larger? What if audio implementation is poor? Not saying any of these things are true, but there's a lot still undecided.

The other thing is the lack of FE glass. Super 35 lenses won't adapt to a full frame sensor as they would a M4/3, meaning you've got Sony's limited lens catalog to work with (at least for the time being). That's a big deal.

Not saying you're the one doing this, Julian, but this senseless brand partisanship that crops up in comment threads on every forum (even this one) is absurd. Why glorify one camera and denigrate another when you don't need to? I care about quality products at fair prices. Why would anyone vest so much stock in success/failure of a specific format?

The other thing is the lack of FE glass. Super 35 lenses won't adapt to a full frame sensor as they would a M4/3, meaning you've got Sony's limited lens catalog to work with (at least for the time being). That's a big deal.

For video manual lenses aren't a problem, unless you want IS, but on a A7 type of body anything bigger than the 24-70 is total overkill and I can't think of any reason to go under 24mm (even with special microlenses you will get problems light angle problems, and retrofocus designs under 24 tend to be pretty bad).

I guess they will leave the 5 axis stabilisation deal they have with olympus for future cameras, even if they aready have solved the cooling problem.

Might, sure. But cost and implementation are two massive, impossible-to-overlook factors. If it comes in at $2999, is it really a direct competitor? What if it only offers UHD? What if the compression isn't as elegant as Panasonic? What if it's significantly larger? What if audio implementation is poor? Not saying any of these things are true, but there's a lot still undecided.

And the great experience with overheating on small Sony cameras ;)

Don't get me wrong i really like the idea of the a7s 4K but seriously i doubt it will be possible.

@Julian too much time between announcement and shipment? this doesn't make any sense at all. It seems to me that a two or three month window is perfect. It gives a chance for pros to handle the camera and give their input to Panasonic. To the best of my knowledge, Panasonic's release of the GH4 is some of the best marketing in the camera sector I've ever seen. It also appears that Panasonic has really been listening to what videographers have had to say about the camera. And regardless of what Sony turns out, there's no way it will have the wealth of features the GH4 can boast.

throughout the digital video history of sony's cameras, they always have been high in quality but among the worst in a cinematic look, from the f23 to the f65, all revolutionary but all with a very video look. in fact the f23 was the only option for HD green screen work at one time, for about 2 years...