Aspect ratio corrector lens - could this work?

james d

Taking any image you put in front of it and squeezing it into a 4:3 ratio.

Guys, I'm in a dilemma, if I had all the resources in the world I would just shoot film properly, the next best thing is the Alexa 4:3 but even that's had a premium put on it on top of the Alexa price.

From my limited knowledge the camera makers are just not enabling the sensor for 4:3 when it's not hard to do depending on the hardware in side.

Having to shoot and crop I just don't want to have to do. Problem is the look from anamorphic is what, on my next projects I strive for. I have only seen this look from pre-millennium film or Alexa/anamorphic packages.

Nothing else but sticking some Kowa projector glass in front of most taking lenses on a good enough filmic sensor like the BMC and you've got chemistry close to what I'm seeking. It seems there is no way to get around it except for get the budget for better but I have had these ideas still.

I would be satisfied with shooting spherical with the same kowa glass on top of my taking lens if this type of glass/attachment was available?

Is there anyway to have this manufactured but not with an elliptical anamorphic stretch.

If so this would generate the look.

my other wacky idea which not sure of yet... is what about? Another lens after the spherical lens which squishes the image into a 4:3 aspect ratio which specifically fits the sensor size of the Black magic cameras?

So for eg. Anamorphic attachment - Prime lens - Aspect ratio corrector - camera sensor

My last thought like many others is to try and petition to have the BMC hacked, to provide this function amongst many others.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Digital Bolex are planning a 4:3 mode on the d16 in a future firmware update.

Thanks , I had no clue Bolex was planning  this and wrote them off in comparison to the BMC.  I have a question though,

Will shooting in the 4:3 aspect ratio produce the same FOV as if it was on any camera with this option  with the only differing factor being the resolution?

Or does the 16mm sensor size factor into this look making it 16mm anamorphic vs 35mm anamorphic if there is such a thing.

Simply put ,if shot on this bolex in 4:3 with 35mm 2x anamorphic lenses would it look the same compared to the Alexa or epic except the higher resolution output on those cameras vs the DB 2k image?

Thanks