Panasonic GH4 gets Arri film look

Andrew Reid

The problem with FCPX and film convert is that it puts the LUT before any color correction layers. This throws out a lot of detail and robs you of the ability to tweak with CC layers to make the LUT work.

First of all, I'm no expert here, I just share my momentary state of comprehension. 

I was corrected by Sean Cunningham, f.k.a. Burnet Rhoades, that a LUT, and especially anything done with Filmconvert, should be before CC. I didn't buy Filmconvert, but I tried LUT utility with this advice in mind. 

By some a LUT is used as a look-layer before final output (or even after). Some LUTs are clearly intended to create a shrill look.

Not so Filmconvert. It is meant as a starting point, even before primary CC. That's why it has the input profiles for different cameras.

And does it "rob detail"? It changes original data (visually, non-destructive), but it doesn't for instance prevent you from recovering highlights the LUT appeares to have swallowed.

On FCP X: If you really want to grade in the NLE, you use an adjustment layer for the LUT. This guarantees that all clips will have the same basis. If you grow unsure if the LUT was a good idea, you can hide the layer with "v", or mix with the clip below from 0-100. 

On the order of color effects in FCP X: That effects should be applied in a certain order is no news. You can, against all reason, apply a look effect as the first link in the chain. But it will not be rendered in that order. Now that FC demands to be the first in line (if it really does, I don't know) confirms Burnet Rhoades' statement regarding the purpose of that app.

Further: There are a bunch of third party plugins for FCP X (I mention the two most useful ones, Lock&Load and Neat) that also need to be the first effects. Not possible if you apply both. This may result in occasional green or pink frames. The companies say, it's a bug Apple is working on, but is it really? 

The answer is: Apply one or none. No effect built in Motion (like LUT Utility) ever slowed down performance or caused render bugs. Stay with these, and look for another host if you desperately need something not yet available in the API collections.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can anyone suggest settings for Premiere to output similar quality as ProRes 10bit 2K with 4444 sampling on the Windows side of things?

Thanks for all the info and samples. I'm counting the days for notice that my preorder is on the way!

Yes, please, Does someone suggest a codec for Premiere Pro within Windows?

Thanks Andrew for the blog. Amazing work!

Can anyone suggest settings for Premiere to output similar quality as ProRes 10bit 2K with 4444 sampling on the Windows side of things?

Thanks for all the info and samples. I'm counting the days for notice that my preorder is on the way!

Yes, please, Does someone suggest a codec for Premiere Pro within Windows?

Thanks Andrew for the Blog. Amazing work!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

For Windows: Avid's DNxHD. I have been using it for years. Wonderful Codec, on par with ProRes. It's free to download too and works on all platforms.

I don´t get to understand the controversy here… Let me elaborate; I’m a Costa Rican videographer who wanted to do what I love for a living and got just enough money to get a GH2 with a kit lens to start with… I kept studying what was the last gear trend to get my few $ in the right place… always with some doubts about how my tiny gh2 didn´t have de nice DOF of my competitors with 5D mIII… but I think that I choose the best cost – efficient system there is up to date… and now Andrew is putting all these grading profiles tests and I enjoy every precious info I get with each delivery… because my tiny company will now be able to offer 4K to our clients… and use it for a way better 1080… and it’s going to cost me ($1700) and with my Olympus 45mm 1.8 ($400) will make beautiful footage for my weddings…. I will be able to pay rent and my daughter school… this is the great thing about the GH series…is giving us (“dslr lover boys†as I read in a hard comment on this video directly on Vimeo) the chance to work with great tools and deliver a better image to our clients…. I don´t know if I will ever have an Alexa…. I haven´t even seen one in real life… I know you guys want to get technical and it’s clear that you know what you are talking about, but I don´t know if any of you are sharing all that great knowledge in other forums of your own, but I have to stand here for who is taking the time to deliver all this information and say “the title is clear, gh4 gets arri film look†is not “GH4 matches alexaâ€â€¦ Warm Regards to all from Tamarindo Beach, Costa Rica

• 2 months later...