Surprise! Sony Alpha A6000 video mode huge improvement

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

APS-C vs 4/3. 4/3 format is a bastard talking about cinema standard. Between Super 16mm and 35mm. Less cinematic image and not video image too.

Nothing wrong with being a bastard. We should embrace its bastard-ness!

Besides, there were all sorts of film gauges besides 16 and 35, 17.5, 18, 21 etc

APS-C vs 4/3. 4/3 format is a bastard talking about cinema standard. Between Super 16mm and 35mm. Less cinematic image and not video image too.

Whilst i do love a good bokehlicious image, I think for the most part it is overused/rated as a cinematic tool.

Shows like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead are shot on 35mm film, but often use deep focus. Their image is very atmospheric. Quentin Trrantino is another director who mostly uses deep focus. And if i remember correctly, Reservoir dogs was shot on 16mm.

Then you have shows like Game Of Thrones that uses the Super 35 Arri Alexa. They often use shallow DOF, but to their detriment IMO. Because all the effort they put into making the fantastic sets becomes blurred out in every dialogue shot. Also I sometimes find shallow DOF to make the image look fake - as if the actors have been green screened in to the scene.

Whilst i do love a good bokehlicious image, I think for the most part it is overused/rated as a cinematic tool.

Shows like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead are shot on 35mm film, 

Then you have shows like Game Of Thrones that uses the Super 35 Arri Alexa. They often use shallow DOF, but to their detriment IMO. Because all the effort they put into making the fantastic sets becomes blurred out in every dialogue shot. Also I sometimes find shallow DOF to make the image look fake - as if the actors have been green screened in to the scene.

I disagree. Walking Dead is 16mm btw.

Game of Thrones is about drama and it looks great. Though I think it would look even better with a bit more grain and lower amount of studio lights. Nothing looks weirder than people sitting besides a fire that is obviously lit up by a megaton of light from elsewhere.

Game of Thrones doesn't even use that much shallow DOF.

Does this shot look shallow?

'>

Or how about this one?

'>

I don't get this place and it's love for deep DOF. I effing hate deep DOF but that's because I grew up with 1/3" cameras.

First of all, I never said I loved deep dof. I also grew up with 1/3" cameras and was ecstatic when I finally got a DSLR with a 30mm f1.4 lens. However my tastes  have matured since then and I can see the uses of both deep and shallow DOF.

That first picture you showed me is a stupid example. You can't get shallow dof on an infinity focused shot :rolleyes: The second picture is a better example, but they obviously wanted to get The Hound's burnt face in the shot to show off in that first episode. If you look at any other scene where there's one or two people speaking, 90% of the time the background will be very out of focus. It's not a bad thing. It's just that it hides all the interesting things and details going on in the scene. It's really my nostalgia for LOTR that's talking. Because they don't use shallow DOF much for that either. And you get to see a lot more of the scenery (and thus the culture of the location, whether it be Gondor or Mordor), which adds to the immersion.

Hello, just to tell you. Received VILTROX adapter EF-NEX II (FF version for A7 also).

Everything fine with it. In video mode, IS and Aperture functional. AF continuous mode not available, have to buy sony lenses i suppose. AF ok in photo mode, IS too.

Concerning machined rings, it's a perfect fit Only a slight play for a6000 and canon lenses at the other side. I remembered Yongnuo adapter where everything moves when adapter and lens were clipped, tolerances not respected, i never saw that !!

around 95€

tested with Sigma EF 18-50/f2.8, canon 50f1.8, canon 55-250mm, tamron 18-270VC

I'm selling my brand new Viltrox adapter, version 2.  Works perfect, but I received it as a gift while I'm switching to manual FD lenses ... I only have 2 Canon EF(S) lenses left that I hardly use.

Has only been tested today for 10 minutes to make sure it works.

Will sell for 70EUR (shipping from Belgium).

Ok first little concert with the a6000. choose hd button to play(only 720P compressed), mind that i use fcpx stab(zoom degradation) , some grading, iso auto till 3200, speed mode 1/50, zoom canon 55-250mm with viltrox, but i love the light, i love the definition...

http://www.intimepop.com/2014/06/28/christine-and-the-queens-showcase-fnac-bellecour-lyon-juin-2014/

fcpx 10.1.2 seems to undertstand now correctly the wide gamut mts from sony a6000

Final Cut Pro X version 10.1.2

Final Cut Pro X version 10.1.2 adds these features.

• Apply a standard (Rec. 709) look in real time to high dynamic range and wide color gamut video from ARRI, Blackmagic Design, Canon, and Sony cameras

Sony I LOVE YOU !!!!

http://www.intimepop.com/UPLOADSDONTDELETE/2014/midlake1-hd.mp4

sony a6000 + sony 16-50mm  portrait -3 -1 +1 DRO off 1/50 Auto ISO <3200  exposure Locked , graded with mlooks in FCPX 

By the way if you love good music come to my blog intimepop.com

Recording at this show,  it was pretty hot inside mind you,  the sensor after 2 songs overheated and shut down the a6000. I was shooting manual Focus, keeping my hand all the time on the 16-50 mm to focus, no harm except that the sony cam seems to use the LENS BODY as a cooler...to be confirmed but setting on AF , and avoiding touching the lens, i was able to finish the show. Don't know if it was The bionz or the sensor which overheated, but this baby is leaving on edge (size, power, processor...)

Not my video but some of the best A6000 footage I have seen yet. I'm convinced they left XAVC S codec out of this camera purposely "just my theory". It would have been too much camera for the asking price. Very organic image, I did spot moire on one of the guys shirt but hell the images still look quite good.