Surprise! Sony Alpha A6000 video mode huge improvement

Andrew Reid

What is the cheapest adapater for EF-S lenses that can control aperture electronically? So with EF-S lenses vignetting is for sure? I can only find EF adapters (with built in aperture which I don't like at all) nothing for EF-S lenses. Is it because of the crop factor of 1.6x?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

sony APS-C sensor is a little bigger than canon APS-C, that's why 1,5X and 1,6X.

Concerning vignetting, ask forumers, for myself i 'll test it next week. I THINK you won't notice it, but you are warned.

3 cheap canon electronic adapters : king, yongnuo, viltrox, (RJ ??)...

some won't control all aperture values of some lenses, some won't boot the cam for some lenses...but it works for majority.

Inside the adapter, there's electronic chipset, which may not support all lenses correctly.

adapter with manual iris is shit , because iris must be inside the lens, not in his ass  !! expect vignets, diffraction, etc...

Neutral and neutral +3  or portrait and portrait +3

Same page , you'll find the decoding procedure with BT709 + full range option, making highlights and blacks recoverable and changing colors to something less agressive.

http://www.frenchyte...log35mm/?p=1959

xvycc AVCHD20 is compatible with BT709 broadcast range, and that's what you are seeing when played with VLC, import in FCPX 10.0.9. But If you had a bluray player compatible xv color + TV xv color, you would see more and slighty less rough colors. That's what 5DTORGB permit with the options above; for myself i am saving them in PRORES422 , just to become compatible with video editors and maintain accurate colors + grading latitude.

To be discussed.

decoding-xvycc.jpeg

@A2T2

GX7 and A6000 does not play in the same category, difficult to compare them and people often own one of the 2 cams so they can't be really objective. I prefer APS-C size for depth of field and sony sensor is twice sensitive : that's what i can tell from facts.

And third, sony noise is only in luma, so it's somehow possible to obtain a beautiful nativ indie look, will try !!!

Using for now on PORTRAIT -3 0 +3.

More tests to come, DRO, High iso noise, picture profile, playmemories app...

https://vimeo.com/97877583

Just a test with Neutral Creative Style. I tested DRO at Level 5 and on OFF to see how it would impact the image. I can't say I see a real big difference if any at all,at least in this shooting scenario.

frame rate-24P
creative style-neutral
shutter-50
iso-100
post-curves,color corrector,saturation eq
filter-neewer variable nd
glass-sony 35mm 1.8 OSS
editor-Vegas Pro 12

Download footage straight from camera re-wrapped in DNxHD MOV. files. we.tl/hpFXN2C0pO

https://vimeo.com/97883321

Take notice of sleeve and back side on the man's shirt. Excuse the shaky camera work.

I know the pattern of the gentleman's shirt is a known cause of revealing ugly moire. I personally never saw this in the A6000 until I was going through random clips and discovered this. Yes it does exist, to what extreme? only more time with the camera will tell.

hello. Concerning grading did you record with histogram on, and curves moved to the right ?

Did you try also, the soft high key picture effects ?

For myself, i also use much portrait, which seems to be more accurate.

Concerning moiré, can you link to the original MTS file please?

Thanks for your test, it helped to understand the a6000 and better use it.

@abds69 yes I recorded footage with histogram on.I'm still trying to figure out how to properly expose for this camera.

No I haven't tried any of the picture effects.I like portrait and neutral creative styles but tend to go with
neutral the majority of the time.

Yes I will upload MTS file when I get a chance.

To be discussed, but Noise is the enemy and it is always in the blacks, so you have to expose preventing zebras but really towards the right on the histogram. Also, that's where we have maximum definition (levels), comparing to levels in blacks.

Contrast should be low to. Concerning sharpness, i would say +3 as it has been tested low on the a6000.

About DRO, i join you on saying that i haven't see any differences with all modes in video . someone said it lifts the blacks, but perhaps only in photo mode !!!

Could you explain you're grading procedure ? I found it a bit reddish, but hard to tell cause sequence is short.

I prefer the soft ungraded version, really clean picture.

Far as grading it was more of a stylistic choice to see where I could take the image with out it breaking down to much. Being that the codec is quite fragile I'm of the thinking you don't want to over do it in the grading department.

Don't you think +3 for sharpening is a bit excessive?Personally I can't see me using + sharpening at all.I think by the time you reach +3 all organic qualities of the image have quite frankly disappeared. Your left with a more digitally processed looking image,at least that has been my findings.

I use the 20,35 and 50mm e-mount lenses which are quite sharp so I think my taste in sharpness settings may be formed by my lens choice. But then again I have old Minolta glass which I still find relatively sharp at 0 sharpness.

Actually I prefer to sharpen in post but if I'm going with in-camera sharping I use 0 to -2,just my personal taste. If you download the "out the camera images" I have linked you can see how well the image sharpens in post.I used -3-3-3.

DRO does indeed lift the shadows but it wasn't that noticble in my video examples.If you really want to see the effect shoot in lowlight switching between DRO off and DRO level 5.I just wanted to see would it give me a little extra dynamic-range in the natural light I was shooting.I didn't notice a significant difference in that specific scenario.

More tests done about DRO :

-DRO raises blacks, but for me it's a post treatment, not a log curve, so expect much NOISE. So don't use it , else lv3 max.

-expose correctly your scene,  with the help of zebras 100 tool, better little surexp than contrary

-avoid high dynamic scene, because even if the cam is capable of 13 diaphs i think, you don't have much available levels for coding blacks compared to highlights. In a high dynamic scene, try to lighten shadows before shooting, better than all post treatment !!!

-correctly expose, much noise in shadows if you have to push it afterwards

-picture effect soft high key is perhaps the best balanced mode in case of high dynamic scene else try to set contrast to -2 or -3, but somehow not sure it's not an post electronic process (to be confirmed).