Surprise! Sony Alpha A6000 video mode huge improvement

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm wondering if I should buy a super cheap Canon 700D to use with my Canon glass and save up for a A7s when the time is right. 

This sounds reasonable, but only if you don't have another canon that takes video because they are all the same (or almost).

Any canon aps-c camera gives image quality on the level of 2008, they are outdated, any actual sensor design is a lot better.

hello,

i am very curious to know what is the improvement about video file from NEX6 to alpha 6000.

I know there is a lot of feature adding to Alpha6000, to help operator ( zebra, hdmi output...) but about sharpness, natural, moiré and aliasing?

i do lot of research but there is very few video good sample from theses two sony body

sorry for my poor english..

Thanks araucaria for the advice, I have a 20D that my bother-in-law GAVE me!!  I've taken some great shots with it but it doesn't do video unfortunately.

I've been saving for a year and I'll probably have $2k Australian dollars when I buy my gear, but I'm thinking I'd be better off spending the bulk of that on some glass like some Zeiss ZF's that I can adapt to almost any camera.  I probably should get cheap body which I can upgrade later and ZF's will let me move to any brand.

I rented a ZF 50mm f1.4 for a shoot and it felt and looked great!  Though when I was at the rental place I played with some Master Primes and the new Lecia cinema lenses and OMG those things feel amazing!!!! They probably should considering they're $20k each! 

Today I had a look at my 20D photos and the photos I took with work's 5DMK3 and FF looks amazing!

Sorry I shouldn't keep double posing but I should have posted this ages ago.

Glenn Thomas I think you doing some amazing work with no budget, I'm impressed by your music videos on Vimeo.   I've cut a few music videos myself so I know how much work they are, and you've done heaps of them!

I can't wait to see you take it to the next level!  Your stuff keeps getting better each time.  

Glenn Thomas I think you doing some amazing work with no budget, I'm impressed by your music videos on Vimeo.   I've cut a few music videos myself so I know how much work they are, and you've done heaps of them!

Thanks for the kind words Andrew. And yes, It seems I have done a lot, with at least another 15 that have either never been released (nearly all because the artist didn't like how they looked), taken down some time after they were posted, or never paid for in one or two cases. I don't really charge a lot though, which forces me to work quickly. Normally these days I'll have the edit done in around 4 hours, or more for the more complex videos. And I'm pretty lazy with colour grading. I'll match up the levels of all the clips, and then find preset colour look in any of the plugins I use, and modify that.

I think it's good to stick with just one camera too. And even just one lens. The less decisions you have to make about what gear to use, the easier everything becomes.

Î™'ve purchased the camera yesterday and I've started doing some tests. I downloaded the timelapse application that Sony gives , and I did a first mini clip. The app is working fine, and has many options. This is the first timelapse clip I did. Enjoy ;)

http://youtu.be/u9Iv1XEhiog

Thanks araucaria for the advice, I have a 20D that my bother-in-law GAVE me!!  I've taken some great shots with it but it doesn't do video unfortunately.

I was refering to the newer models 550D onwards, the 20D is a little bit older ;)

Do you have 2 a cameras? 1 x pal and 1 x ntsc, only your first clip is 60p and the second is 25p, mostly they are 60 and 24 or 50 and 25p?

No. In european version you can select PAL or NTSC standard in the menu and after reboot is available another modes ;)

don't expect such a little camera with such big sensor not to have heating problems.

Especially in hot shinny days ...

I have it, but i didn't tried for so long clips.

Here is a little test i did, for moire-aliasing.... very little indeed.

see it in HD full screen.

Thank you for posting this moire/aliasing test. I had an NEX-6 last year and was terribly disappointed with the moire/aliasing it exhibited. I'm not a pro by any means - I just shoot family videos - but it was that bad I sold my NEX-6. Here's a still capture comparison with the RX100M2, that I now own:

aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20140510T060755Z

I'm considering moving from my RX100M2 to an interchangeable lens camera so I can get a fast prime for shallow depth of field portraits. 

The A6000 is on my radar, but I was concerned about getting the same moire as I did on the NEX-6, but your test has allayed those fears.

Thanks again.