Surprise! Sony Alpha A6000 video mode huge improvement

Andrew Reid

I've had a chance to test the a6000 in extremely hot tempratures to see how the camera behaves. The ambient temprature is 38-42 C (100-105 F) , and hot air is flowing to the backplate of the camera. The screen is flipped out, an the clips we've written are in 1080p 60fps.The memory card used is a Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s.
 As you can see the first take was 22:38 minutes long until shut down.We did a quick restart and the second take lasted 15:49 minutes.Again after a quick restart we were able to record 2:26min.Then we left the camera to rest for 10 minutes and started a last take before the battery drained, and it managed to write a full clip of 29:50 minutes. All in the same hot tempratures. In conclusion the problems seems to occur in very hot temps and in unexpected durations of video writing. I've touched the backplate of the sensor and it wasn't very hot. So it seems more of a firmware problem!!! I'll put another test in lower tempratures, where the problem doesn't occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E-xJ_5Q9JY

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am in a big dilema!

I had bought a old GH1 for 200$ ( I had intall the hack on it )   since i was waiting for the GH3 to come down in price and instead of giving that extra 200$ to the store I could use it as a B camera later when i get the GH3 . I dont really like the colors witout post prod and i found the footage a bit jerky as soon as i move the camera .

So before I invest too much in lens and getting a GH3 I was hoping to see some nice footage and a good review of the new Sony A6000 ( since i had a Sony in the past and it as a aps-c sensor) but so far the footage of eyesoul :

>

is pretty much the nicest i had seen. So here I am again trying to figure out what would be a good choice with a budjet around 1000-1200$  . Any suggestions ?

- want to get stills of good quality

-  a nice viewfinder  ( can't shoot with a screen)

- Good low light performance

Thank you !

@Dom: The stills quality is good but lifting shadows in RAW shows purple colouring. The viewfinder is really nice. You can see more of my findings in a big post I made earlier in the thread.

@EOSHD/Andrew: When will your review be published? :)

Thank you for your advise !

The only thing ( thats too bad ! )  with the G6 is that dual function thumb wheel. It feels really cheap and I found that it hard to move since it s really small and plasticky , also it switch from aperture to shutter speed when you try to set up one or they other quite easily. Maybe I had try a demo that had to much wear. So maybe it s better I wait a bit to see and try the Sony and compare to the other models. I was curious also to know why Andrew mention

This is arguably the best current ‘cheap’ camera for video, de-throning the GH2 and GH3.

So i guess I still have to do my homework !

Thank you!

I've had a chance to test the a6000 in extremely hot tempratures to see how the camera behaves. The ambient temprature is 38-42 C (100-105 F)

I'd have given up in that temperature way before the camera ever did.

I think the A6000 is more than perfect for what I will use it for,1 to 2 minute properly lit scenes. I personally haven't seen the codec break down to a unusable degree yet,mainly because I keep in mind the weak areas of the camera. I have a GH2 and I enjoy the images out the A6000 just as much,it's not that it resolves better but its images have a certain texture and feel to them. At this point I'm just trying to figure out the best combination of settings to get a desired result. On this specific footage I shot for almost 2 hours nonstop,1 to 2 minute clips every couple of seconds with no overheating. I like this camera a lot.

Random photos taken during photo shoot..35mm 1.8 OSS.

Model_zps389b74dd.png

Model-x_zps2214f087.png

Another thing, I have been shooting portrait all -3 and it's amazing how slight treatments make the images pop.With the GH2 and D5200 I have to do much more surgery to get a desired look. I also think the A6000 handles highlights better. I know we have a lot of 4k going around but I feel you won't be disappointed with this little beast for what it is,"again" that's if you shoot within its realm of power.

Please. Who has the A6000 between your hands, make a video in 24p with potrait style (-3, -3, -3) recording the foliage of trees and a glimpse into depth with things like hills and natural landscape with trees holding the camera steady without dollies. Then places on the forum the original. MTS file.

Seeing what comes out you can immediately evaluate the camera and see if it's worth it.

I was impressed by the video posted on vimeo days ago. Those with the man in the woods in the foreground

I possibly could do that test if no one has done it before I have a chance to post. I can get that up tomorrow.

Guys, would you buy this over the Canon 70D?

I'm interested in stills IQ more than in video and low-light focusing is pretty important to me...but I can't make my mind up!!!! 179 focus points vs 19 cross-type, touch screen vs great viewfinder, etc...

I've asked everywhere, but no one tells me what to do: for what I'm needing (great stills, good indoor focusing), what shall I pick? The Sony A6000 or the Canon 70D ?

Please help!  :wacko:

Thank you!

Same with me....I'm undecided with the Sony A6000. Really impressed with the autofocus test and other portrait video as above. BUT what do I get, either the Sony or Panasonic GX7 ?

I've a bunch of fast Nikon Ais primes, a decent mic and a Roland digital recorder. I'm hoping Andrew comes up with his review soon so I can make a decision !!!

Î™ would recommend it my friend over the 70D , it has a better sensor, that gives you better image quality, wider dynamic range, and better overall iso performance! It has a great autofocus system, very fast very precise, and a much lighter body to use for your everyday walks! For video it's better too, it gives you better image quality, more organic feel to it, and less to none moire issues (The Canons have problem on this, the XXXD -XXD line) . So I would prefer it overall.

Guys, would you buy this over the Canon 70D?

I'm interested in stills IQ more than in video and low-light focusing is pretty important to me...but I can't make my mind up!!!! 179 focus points vs 19 cross-type, touch screen vs great viewfinder, etc...

I've asked everywhere, but no one tells me what to do: for what I'm needing (great stills, good indoor focusing), what shall I pick? The Sony A6000 or the Canon 70D ?

Please help!  :wacko:

Thank you!

If I had to choose between both I would go with the Sony because it's better in image quality and video quality, and the autofocus looks pretty damn good.

Thank you, guys, for your replies. Seems that all of you suggest the Sony, so I'll go for it, really appreciate your help.

So, in terms of stills quality, Sony is better...!?  (for a non professional shooter like me, the difference between a landscape taken with the A6000 and one with the 70D, in same conditions, will be visible?)

At this point, one thing that's pretty "annoying" is that there aren't so many lenses for the E mount and internet shopping isn't as vast as that of Canon... (and if you want quality glass on Sony you have to pay a lot, as "used market" is almost nonexistant). 

This is one of the key reasons I replaced my GX7 and GM1 with the A6000.  I bought these cameras to predominantly shoot with AF and while the touch screen AF capabilities of the Panasonics were very useful, the AF was wonky in the sense that there's this constant micro-adjustment going on.  Looking through some recent threads on AVSFORUM, it appears the GH4 is afflicted with the same issue. The A6000, on the other hand, nails focus extremely reliably and when it locks, it locks.  

yea after watching that video I set my focus settings up the same way,The auto focus in this camera and the way it locks on is amazing.

So, in terms of stills quality, Sony is better...!?  (for a non professional shooter like me, the difference between a landscape taken with the A6000 and one with the 70D, in same conditions, will be visible?)

Nope. I had the Sony nex-5n and the Canon 7d and my better pics were always taken with the Canon 7d eventhough Internet- claimed the 5n had the better sensor. I never really believed it as I never saw any quantifiable difference between them. Nex-5n maybe had a little bit less FPN but the 7d handled LED-lighting way better which tended to blow on the 5n.

I now have the nex-7 and the difference is still kinda small. 7 has a bit more DR but nothing drastic. Biggest differences will be the lenses you use and your skill.

Nope. I had the Sony nex-5n and the Canon 7d and my better pics were always taken with the Canon 7d eventhough Internet- claimed the 5n had the better sensor. I never really believed it as I never saw any quantifiable difference between them. Nex-5n maybe had a little bit less FPN but the 7d handled LED-lighting way better which tended to blow on the 5n.

I now have the nex-7 and the difference is still kinda small. 7 has a bit more DR but nothing drastic. Biggest differences will be the lenses you use and your skill.

Thank you.

Yet, Sony claims that A6000 is even better than the NEX-7 in terms of sensor and focusing.. If this is true, logic tells me that images should look better from the A6000 comparing them with the NEX-7 or even comparing with the 70D...

A direct head-to-head shootout will help us a lot...

DigitalWarS I'm in the same boat for my home camera.  The 70D has a higher data rate for its H.264 but apparently moire is an issue which is yet unproven for the A6000.  

The 70D does not have a EVF which is SUPER useful shooting in full sun.  Nor is MagicLantern there yet.

The Technicolor Cynestyle is fantastic for making the most of consumer cameras, I'm constantly amazed at how well this stuff grades with the Alexa and RED footage we normally get. To be fair the 5D H.264 is terrible compared to those cameras but you can get them in the same ballpark and cut between them, which for a 5DMK3 with L glass costing maybe $5k VS an Alexa with an Angenieux Zoom at maybe $200K is pretty good.  

You are right Sony E-mount and Sony Zeiss E-mount Lenses are very expensive.  I've used a 5DMK3 with the $100 Canon 50mm f1.8 and got fantastic results in both stills and video.  Again that isn't the best lens ever, but it has an amazing price to performance ratio.  I really like my Helios 44-2 and the manual focus is great but the Cannon 50mm f1.8 has autofocus for stills!   

I'm wondering if I should buy a super cheap Canon 700D to use with my Canon glass and save up for a A7s when the time is right.