Surprise! Sony Alpha A6000 video mode huge improvement

Andrew Reid

don't expect such a little camera with such big sensor not to have heating problems.

Especially in hot shinny days ...

I have it, but i didn't tried for so long clips.

Here is a little test i did, for moire-aliasing.... very little indeed.

see it in HD full screen.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well... it's hard to tell because of YouTube compression and zooming while recording, but suppose that doesn't look too bad for a compressed YouTube video. That window scenery is indeed a good candidate for luring out moire and aliasing. All that was missing was a puddle of water...

I hope someone with both the A6000 and an access to an external recorder could do a sample video of the HDMI out quality, too. Does it really do pure 422 straight off the sensor? I'm just curious, for now. 

Thank you my friend for your quick answer (Σ ευχαÏιστω!) 

I hope someone could do the tests soon , so we could be sure if Sony has solved the overheating problems or not. Until now I have read only speculations , that the new a6000 chassis is a little wider than its predecessors, and that would help in heating problems. Or maybe Sony has done some work in the firmware and the problem of overheating shutdown is now solved. But all these are still speculations, the truth will be found in real world tests. I hope someone could do some tests...

Toxitis90 , thank you for the clip , I'm delighted to see again that the new a6000 has little to no moire , and great DR. It's almost identical to D5300, so if no overheating problems exist , I will definetely order one soon!

MKjaer.. Thats correct!
I played around with a6000 for some days now and to be honest..there isn´t that much different from nex5n in Daylight shooting..but in lowlight

it is cleaner and moire and aliasing is less.

That's what I thought, too bad this would have been the camera Canon never released. But it was clear Sony couldn't release something that is as sharp as their high end videocameras!

Δυσκολα τα Ï€Ïαγματα στην Ελλαδα το καλοκαιÏι φιλε μου... !!!

Its tough here in Greece in summer time... for all cameras!

That's what I'm afraid of!!!! The camera melting in 40 degrees temps and only having the opportunity to record for 2 minutes!!!! (την κατσαμε δηλαδη)  :P

Exact perfect

For budget video there is only GM1 GX7 G6 that are sharp and detailed more and more than a6000

For a very-pro all-inone GH3 GH4

For a pro-pro low price BMPCC

For absolute pro for honest price BM 2.5K BM 4K

And the latest is that Canon discovered in 2014 they need to respond to the video quality increase, they will make a a6000 clone for sure. Why can't Panasonic join the APS-C or FullFrame world? They would destroy everyone!

This sample looks sharp, although I'm watching from my netbook so I'm not 100% sure!

Let's just wait for the Andrew's comparison.

Anyway does the Sony E mount allow to use basically any lens mount (manual lenses, no autofocus for me :)) without optics in between? 

I've searched everywhere, but never found info about NTSC>PAL switch: is a US market camera usable in EU? In the (not so informative) on line manual Sony says (pag.31)

PAL/NTSC SelectorBy changing the TV format of the device, shooting in a different movie format is possible.

* Only for 1080 50i compatible models.

Seems to me that you can switch from EU to US, but not from US to EU.

I ask this because here in Europe is 200€ more expensive than in US...

A bit off topic but I just spent a day with the D5300. Whereas the Sony video had little to talk about over the gh2, i really like the 5300 image. It doesn't have the crunchy detailed sharpness of the gh2 but its nowhere near as soft as the canon apscs. Dynamic range seems better than a6000 and high iso is remarkable. Bit blocky in the shadows when you try to recover detail, but compared to gh2 at least it has detail to recover.

Gm1 has no 50p, which is what I needed. And what I've realised after using a bunch of cameras is: horses for courses. For what I do dynamic range is key, followed by lack of moire, followed by low light ability. The 5300 will doubtless have a place in my kit for a while. Most of my vids will be watched at 720 or smaller anyway. I shot some stuff on the same day on the d800 and whilst it was sharper and possibly more detailed it suffered false colour and moire. Neither of which I've yet to see in the 5300. I'm no fanboy though: generally as a video camera it sucks. But if I could get a Panasonic's detail with the 5300's dynamic range I'd be a happy Easter bunny. Don't look at tree detail in the 2nd shot. The end of that was graded in photoshop using camera raw with heavy noise reduction it was 2 ish stops underexposed.

Yes I agree. But detail is not everything, just as sharpness in a lens isn't everything

Prefabsprout: even on.my on my phone it looks like your getting more detail from your a6000 then I am. Did you shoot at 25p? Still thinking there mine might need to be returned

Gethin..no I´m shooting in 50 p handheld..then stabilized with ProDad Mercalli.... Mercalli is not working that well If I shoot in 25p

I have Panasonic G6 and I also had the GH2 (hacked)...but this little A6000 surprises me more and more..the autofocus is lightning fast and doesn´t hunt but I like to shoot wih Canon FD`s and manual focus...

For what I do dynamic range is key

I'm wondering if Sony putting S-Log 2 and XAVC S in the a7S marks the beginning of them putting it in all their future higher end consumer cams. Will they put it in something like the RX200 or is the a7S as low as they'll go? If they put it in the upcoming RX that will be a remarkable camera. Imagine that, a pocket camera that blows away pretty much every DSLR when it comes to dynamic range in video. Sony Alpha Rumors has a post up about a patent for the RX200 lens, 28-100mm f1.8-2.8 OSS. The Japanese companies have been so conservative and incremental in their improvements that they probably won't include S-Log 2. But Sony would make huge waves if they got serious about the RX200 video. It would be a revolutionary camera.

• Administrators

Much further along with my A6000 experience now since the introductory blog.

The codec has real issues. Lots of banding and mud. A very bad implementation of AVCHD I'm afraid. AVCHD can be good. On the FS100 it's fine! What a shame Sony do not pull a Panasonic and give us a proper codec on their stills cameras.

There is still some moire and aliasing too but then it's now more in-line with other cameras, and certainly not as bad as before. Better than the A7 for sure.

It's still a nice camera for the price but the D5300 will give you a better image.