Surprise! Sony Alpha A6000 video mode huge improvement

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks like something is off in your render there.

Maybe do another test but with them both set to 25p rather than the A6000 at 50p, as the codec gets pretty soft at that setting.

Agreed, this was my first thought as well. 

In any case, my crops were just to show the video that was posted more clearly here on the forum, whether or not this is an accurate representation of the performance of the a6000 vs. the GH2 depends on the original footage... 

You're right on close inspection it does not quite have the resolving power of the GH2 in 1080p.

And yes there is still some moire.

With or without an external recorder (HDMI out)? Or with both?

But it has a raft of other nice stuff that the GH2 doesn't have.

Final review coming soon.

Looking forward to it. Hopefully tested with a Ninja (or Star, or whatever) and without.  Just curious.

if you could try it on your nikon 24mm set at f3.5 , with and without the speedbooster - as my plan is to get the FD version and use it with my Canon FD 24-35mm f3.5 lens so it widens the 24mm to about 17mm ish at f2.8 ish !! 

Im very interested to see what this will look like......big thanks for that

if I was you I would get the Nikon 16mm so it fits with your other nikon lenses tint/ color wise

Using a a6000 + focal reducer on a FD 24mm - 35mm will not widen the lens at all. It will increase the f-stop (by how much depending on which flavour focal reducer you by - Metabones, Baveyes, Lens Turbo etc.) and reduce the crop factor (by how much also depending on the manufacturer). For example the FD lens at the low end of the zoom is equivalent to a 36mm in 35mm terms (24mm x 1.5 crop factor). Using a Metabones Speedboster, which reduces the crop by 0.71, means you will land up with a 36mm x 0.71 = 25.56mm lens at the low end of the zoom, and the f-stop by 1 to approx. 2.5

BlueBomberTurbo / iag01

I agree..my fault..I was in a hurry didnt bring nd and the sun was wery strong..then i tried to cc with MBL just to see how much it could hold up..but  it didn´t look nice at all

I will load up a new copy tonight without any cc ..The moire thing did suprise me..but I noticed moire in a6000 as well..but it is much better than nex6 or even 5n..one thing I cant understand is the crazy placement of the record button..stupid! 

Looks like something is off in your render there.

Maybe do another test but with them both set to 25p rather than the A6000 at 50p, as the codec gets pretty soft at that setting.

Agreed, this was my first thought as well. 

In any case, my crops were just to show the video that was posted more clearly here on the forum, whether or not this is an accurate representation of the performance of the a6000 vs. the GH2 depends on the original footage... 

Wait I don't own the camera I'm just watching samples people are posting (especially the original files) and something is off in terms of details.

Yojimbo..No all handheld I did stabilize it in post..Mercalli in Sony Vegas....I really like the Camera .
I have a G6 and I think it is better suited for wider shots like the water dog movie..I found G6 to have better resolution than A6000..but with darker sceens and  close ups with old manual lenses like Canon fd´s the a6000 looks better than my earlier 5n 6 and 7  

the a6000 + G6 might be a good and pricey combo for amateurs like me.

iag01..Remember that the codec is stressed by water..and you need more bitrates or better inhouse codec..my G6 is the same when it comes to filming water or lots of movement..I say that the Sony A6000 is a great videocamera better than nex6 and 5n..I dont know what you are expecting of a camera in this pricepoint?....my filming may have been bad ..but the camera is not! I Think we are gonna se some beatiful Movies from a6000 when pros test it out..

There may be an issue with the a6000 I've got. I posted about it on this forum.

Had to go out and get a d5300 for a job. Happily impressed with dynamic range so far compared to either gh2 or a6000. Detail is nice. Shame its such a dog to use. Hope it gets hacked

Think I'll ditch the lot of them for the gh4 though.

Andrew yes to do a propper test yes should've shot at 25p, but I bought the a6000 for its 50p and was testing selfishly for my own interests :)

"Mkjaer"..I see what I can do..it is not possible to take pictures in Movie mode ..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83684195/a6000%20still.JPG

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

Thx Prefabsprout

If the second image is a frame capture from the a6000 video. Then I personally thinks it looks really good. Sure, it is missing some of the fine details compared to the 3008x1688 pixel jpeg. However, it is lightyears ahead of any previous Sony model.

How it compares to similar priced GH cameras I can't say. However, I am personally starting to get exited about this camera again. I hope Andrew will have time to do a full test of this little budget camera as soon as possible.

MKjaer.. Thats correct!
I played around with a6000 for some days now and to be honest..there isn´t that much different from nex5n in Daylight shooting..but in lowlight

it is cleaner and moire and aliasing is less..now that you can to see 4k (gh4) and raw footage.. it is difficult to have a "wow" effect when you look at regular aps-c cameras at this pricepoint..they all look good..
but with peaking.. zebras..great viewfinder..and a very good still camera..a6000 is a great all around camera ..I have Panasonic G6..and they are equal..the a6000 has a bigger sensor and much better still camera.

here are some download links from a6000

Canon fd´s

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83684195/Sony%20A6000%20Canon%20Fd%2035mm%20Fd%2035-105mm.mp4

Autofocus test (normal speed settings)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83684195/A6000%20Autofocus%20test%2018-55mm%2025p.mp4

Autofocus test 2  (normal to fast settings)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83684195/A6000%20autofocus%20fast%20vs%20normal.mp4

•   I'm heavily concerned in purchacing this camera, especially for video. I've seen many tests and it seems that it has moire free image , and the sensor seems to be tha same as on Nicon's D5300. The features it gives you are much more significant for video shooting than D5300 , and it's so much lighter. The only thing that keeps me back from ordering the camera right now is if it has overheating problems like some of its predecessors. Could anybody test it on his a6000 , and inform us if the problem exists? I usually do weddings and other events and have to use the camera for hours, so if after some clips it gives me a warning of overheating , it would be a disaster !! 
  •   Could anybody test this on a hot sunny day perhaps , doing some 30 minute clips (2-3) and then 5 clips of 2-3 minutes, and inform us? It would help me a lot to make my decision.