Surprise! Sony Alpha A6000 video mode huge improvement

Andrew Reid

People have been saying similar things in the GH4 threads. You really have to look at the context of the video, because at the end of the day, video that isnt made to look cinematic will indeed just look like video. The sensor is only part of what makes an image. For example, in the Gordon Liang video, the weather is overcast with neutral colours, he's using the kit lens and Program priority (meaning it may not even be the right shutter speed). And to top it off, he's shooting at 50 fps. It's just going to look like video no matter what.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I agree with Inazuma. Some of these early tests should reallly be taken with a grain of salt... very deceiving in my opinion. 

This test doesn't look so bad to me, the final shot of the yellow flower looks really nice. Though, macro flower shots do tend to make every cameras video quality appear better...for some reason. 

Well guys, I have been testing the camera for a couple of hours now and here is what I have found so far:

RAW Photo:

• Brightening the shadows from high ISO (~3200) files produces purple colouring similar to the Nikon D5200. The GX7 does not do this (see figure 1).
  • The a6000 does clip less at the very extreme of highlights. Not near enough to make a difference to photographers though.
  • Colour depth may be slightly better on a6000. I'm not sure how to test this exactly.

Video:

• At the same exposure and similar contrast settings, the a6000 is more prone to blowing out highlights than the GX7.
  • There is noticeably less picture detail. But also more aliasing and moire than on the GX7 (see figure 2).
  • The noise is quite nice. On the GX7, noise is very dancy and distracting. On the a6000, noise seems more calm; less sharp; less chroma. Some may even say film grainish. The trade-off however is that there is less detail. (see figure 3)
  • The colour might be more accurate in low light on the a6000. I need to do a bit more testing.
  • On the flip side, the GX7's video is so sharp that the codec has trouble fitting it all into a 24mbit/s file and I often see artefacts when viewing at 100%.

Handling:

• The EVF is miles better than the NEX 6 and GX7. There is no rainbow tearing and the refresh rate is fast. Everything is clear. Usable in low light too. Even the eyecup is better.
  • The menu system is miles better than the NEX6.
  • On the whole, I still find the GX7 to be more usable due to the AF/MF switch, front/rear dials and touch screen.
  • Strangely, the focus peaking becomes less intense whilst shooting video.
  • The AF is indeed very good. It can focus in even less light than my GX7 (which has incredible low light AF ability). The AF tracking is good too but not great. I'm not sure if it could actually handle a cyclist riding towards you. I've tested with both the kit lens and the 16mm f2.8. The latter doesn't have Phase Detection, but the contrast system works just as well.
  • When you manually focus, a distance scale comes up on the screen, which is very nice. I don't think the NEX 6 had this feature. Only problem is it doesn't work whilst filming.

Samples below all shot at 25p @ 24mb/s. Dynamic range settings were tweaked to bring the images closer together. Noise reduction turned off (although honestly there isnt any difference that I can see when turning it on on the GX7).

Figure 1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1094036/a6000/raw_shadow_adjustment.JPG a6000 left, GX7 right. f3.5, 1/50th, ISO 3200. Lightroom Shadows +100

Figure 2: '> a6000 top, GX7 bottom. f5.6, 1/50th, ISO 400

Figure 3: '> a6000 top, GX7 bottom. f3.5, 1/50th, ISO 3200, WB 5500k.

Overall I'm thinking I'll probably send the a6000 back. There is not enough improvement to justify me swapping systems.

this is very useful to know- thanks for this

I was hoping it was better than Panasonic in low light

Can I ask you a big favour  while you have the camera

Please can you shoot at 640 iso in low light inside at 3200k (tungsten ) 1/50 sec and save a small 10 sec file

as this I was hoping would be better than the Panasonic on these setting.

Im interested in seeing how good the noise is in the black areas, Panasonic has random fizzy noise in under exposed black areas.

the clip i downloaded Andrew Reed shot of lenses and cameras on his desk at 640 iso was superb with not much noise in the blacks it was very clean

I can give you my drop box address to upload the clip to

Big thanks

Andy

this is very useful to know- thanks for this

I was hoping it was better than Panasonic in low light

Can I ask you a big favour  while you have the camera

Please can you shoot at 640 iso in low light inside at 3200k (tungsten ) 1/50 sec and save a small 10 sec file

as this I was hoping would be better than the Panasonic on these setting.

Im interested in seeing how good the noise is in the black areas, Panasonic has random fizzy noise in under exposed black areas.

the clip i downloaded Andrew Reed shot of lenses and cameras on his desk at 640 iso was superb with not much noise in the blacks it was very clean

I can give you my drop box address to upload the clip to

Big thanks

Andy

Hope this helps:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1094036/a6000/a6000_iso640.MTS

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1094036/a6000/gx7_iso640.MTS

thanks for doing that test, much appreciated

yes as you said the Sony has a nicer finer noise , the Panasonic has that random coloured flickery noise , the Sony is a bit finer and cleaner in the under exposed blacks

there is not much in it though , and you said the Sony blows out highlights more in daylight.

I was thinking of getting one of these A6000 - Im rethinking its not quite the Panasonic beater I thought it was

thanks for your help with this Inazuma

Inazuma -- thanks for posting these comparisons. They seem very illustrative. One question: have you tried sharpening the A6000 footage in post? As I recall, one of the characteristics of the Nikon D5200/D5300 was that it came out of camera a little soft but sharpened up nicely. I wonder if the A6000 shares similar characteristics.

Inazuma -- thanks for posting these comparisons. They seem very illustrative. One question: have you tried sharpening the A6000 footage in post? As I recall, one of the characteristics of the Nikon D5200/D5300 was that it came out of camera a little soft but sharpened up nicely. I wonder if the A6000 shares similar characteristics.

I've just recently compared the A6000 and GX7 and found the A6000 to perform better than the GX7 in all respects after applying sharpening in FCPX.  

I've tried that with d5200 footage and this a6000 footage and it always ends up with that digitally sharpened video look. It doesn't bring out details. I'd rather leave it looking soft as there's a film-like quality to that. Maybe I have bad technique though. Can anyone recommend effect settings for PPro or After Effects?

What lens did you use in A6000 and GX7.

With the GX7 I used the Panny 12-35mm f2.8. With the a6000 I used the kit lens for the day light shot and the 16mm f2.8 for the night shot. I know what you're thinking, so I'll retest with the 16mm in daylight later.

With the GX7 I used the Panny 12-35mm f2.8. With the a6000 I used the kit lens for the day light shot and the 16mm f2.8 for the night shot. I know what you're thinking, so I'll retest with the 16mm in daylight later.

Actually both the Sony 16-50 and 16F2.8 are soft and crap respectively compared to the Panny 12-35 F2.8.

Except a few primes in Sony only the Zeiss and Sony G lenses are good.
Even the 16-70 zeiss is soft compared to the panny.The 18-55mm kit lens bundled in older Nex is better then those two Sony lenses.

I hear what you guys are saying, but sharpness differences from lenses should not be that significant on a 1080p image.

Nevertheless I just did another little test:

'>

This time the Sony is using a Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 and DRO level 3. GX7 iDynamic Standard.

As you see from the picture, I had to underexpose by a stop to stop the highlights from clipping. But beyond that, there is a lot of fine detail around the tree and the fence that the Sony hasn't captured.

And for those doubting the sharpness of the Hexanon against the Panny: '>

Anyway, off to work now :) I will do another testing session tonight if you guys have any ideas.