Surprise! Sony Alpha A6000 video mode huge improvement

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I prefer MF but AF is getting very good. Tracking is going to be perfect sometime soon, and things like touch focus allow racking. It hunts a little too much at the moment but it'll only get better. Not that the focus pulling industry needs to be worried any time soon though as cine glass is just not designed with AF in mind.

i was also surprised by the a6000. got the chance to filmed some aerials with it in arizona in february.

first you see some aerials of the a7r to compare.

Edit:

sorry, looks like dropbox traffic is exceeded.

i uploaded it on google drive:

hope that works:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzhRNx6HFJXvR0ItT1lFTDlfQVk/edit?usp=sharing

the a6000 footage and low-light capabilities looks amazing. 

Imagine if it just had the same codec as the new A7s - maybe next year in the a7000:) However, at these prices it still looks like a steal for the low-budget filmmaker.

Andy's not going to cheat on his g6 with just any broad, so I'm thinking the a6000 might be a winner.  I thought the 11fps burst very good.  If you can get that continuous on a 95mbs card then you have a poor man's 4K.  Unless you're filming people in dialogue, that kind of motion is often desirable anyway.  I've noticed I can shoot continuously with my GF3 on newer cards (but 3fps).  

The only reason I sold the Nex 7 was the proprietary hot shoe and, admittedly, slow focus. Seems like both those have been improved.  I don't mind the lower res EVF because the problem I had with the Nex 7 in that regard wasn't resolution but responsiveness.  It would black out, hesitate.  And getting APS-C size IQ.  

I wish it had all-I though and a higher bitrate, though, I have to admit, I can't see the difference between the g6 and Gh3 with the latter is shooting 70mbs.

BTW, Andy, bought that focal reducer from China for $100.  Going to pair it with my Nikon 24mm 2.8D on the BMPCC

I've just ordered an A6000, which should arrive tomorrow. I'm going to pit it against my current GX7. Do any of you guys want to know anything? I will be testing it for a couple days; after which I will decide which one to keep.

BTW the main reasons I've bought it to possibly replace the GX7 are as follows:

• Optically stabalised 50mm and 75mm equivalent lenses.
  • Purportedly good video quality.
  • More range in the RAW files.
  • If I ever need to, I can build up the system with monitors or recorders using the HDMI slot.
  • Possibility of using Canon EF lenses with electronic control. Though for the foreseeable future I won't need this.
  • Region switchable.
  • The fast and accurate autofocus means that when I'm run and gunning, I won't need to manually focus, which tends to mean knocking the camera about and disturbing the video.
  • The better grip and overall nicer finish.

My reservations about replacing the GX7 are currently as follows:

• I absolutely love the Oly 17mm because of its manual feel in use. And the equivalent focal length on the Sony E system is twice the price of it.
  • The Panasonic menu system is the best I've ever used (and I've used pretty much all the systems).
  • The silent mode is very handy.
  • The exposure and whitebalance metering are also the best I've ever used.
  • The control over dynamic range in videos/JPG you have with the GX7 is amazing.

I've just ordered an A6000, which should arrive tomorrow. I'm going to pit it against my current GX7. Do any of you guys want to know anything? I will be testing it for a couple days; after which I will decide which one to keep.

BTW the main reasons I've bought it to possibly replace the GX7 are as follows:

• Optically stabalised 50mm and 75mm equivalent lenses.
  • Purportedly good video quality.
  • More range in the RAW files.
  • If I ever need to, I can build up the system with monitors or recorders using the HDMI slot.
  • Possibility of using Canon EF lenses with electronic control. Though for the foreseeable future I won't need this.
  • Region switchable.
  • The fast and accurate autofocus means that when I'm run and gunning, I won't need to manually focus, which tends to mean knocking the camera about and disturbing the video.
  • The better grip and overall nicer finish.

My reservations about replacing the GX7 are currently as follows:

• I absolutely love the Oly 17mm because of its manual feel in use. And the equivalent focal length on the Sony E system is twice the price of it.
  • The Panasonic menu system is the best I've ever used (and I've used pretty much all the systems).
  • The silent mode is very handy.
  • The exposure and whitebalance metering are also the best I've ever used.
  • The control over dynamic range in videos/JPG you have with the GX7 is amazing.

i found the videoquality of the gh3 still a bit better then the a6000.

what would be interesting is how would the a6000 preform with the new anounced atomos ninja star.

I defenatly love the finer grain of the a6000 and the more detail. overall color and feel of the picture is nicer then my gh3.

but the sharpness is still not gh3 like, for me.

Could be possible because i had a preproduction model.

so share some videos ;)

Andy's not going to cheat on his g6 with just any broad, so I'm thinking the a6000 might be a winner.  I thought the 11fps burst very good.  If you can get that continuous on a 95mbs card then you have a poor man's 4K.  Unless you're filming people in dialogue, that kind of motion is often desirable anyway.  I've noticed I can shoot continuously with my GF3 on newer cards (but 3fps).  

The only reason I sold the Nex 7 was the proprietary hot shoe and, admittedly, slow focus. Seems like both those have been improved.  I don't mind the lower res EVF because the problem I had with the Nex 7 in that regard wasn't resolution but responsiveness.  It would black out, hesitate.  And getting APS-C size IQ.  

I wish it had all-I though and a higher bitrate, though, I have to admit, I can't see the difference between the g6 and Gh3 with the latter is shooting 70mbs.

BTW, Andy, bought that focal reducer from China for $100.  Going to pair it with my Nikon 24mm 2.8D on the BMPCC

Maxotics - well I downloaded the file Andrew Posted of the A6000 filming cameras and lenses on his desk - its low light he said filmed at 640 iso

well just look at the blacks - look at that Cooke lens he is filming on his desk there is no noise on it in the blacks .....much less than my g6 in low light at 640 iso .....its looks unbelieveably clean the A6000 image.....

So I might use it for night time low light Fincher style stuff - still keep the G6s for everything else.....

Also Maxotics can you do me a big favour when your speed booster arrives film the same clip with and without speedbooster and send me the files - they dont need to be long 10 secs etc as Im really keen to get one of the boosters ...thanks!!

@Andy, or anyone, will do whatever tests you'd like.  My pleasure.  In Nikon, I have a 24mm 2.8D, 50mm (both D and AIS), and an 85mm rokinon.  I'm a bit stuck between the Rokinon 16mm cine and Nikon 16mm (which would work on my d600 I believe).  No plans to get either but thinking...   The 7mm Vivitar I have has too much barrel distortion on the BMPCC.  Thoughts Andy?

@ZEBRAWORKZ  I would be surprised if the gx7 has better sharpness in good light than the GH3 because though the Achilles heel of APS-C size sensor is the amount of pixels they must skip to get a 1080p frame, and line skipping creates moire, pixel binning, while improving that, doesn't change the fact that you would probably get more sharpness from pixels that are physically closer to each other.  

I've just ordered an A6000, which should arrive tomorrow. I'm going to pit it against my current GX7. Do any of you guys want to know anything?

I would love to see a sharpness comparison between the a6000 and GX7. This is basically the only thing I am waiting to see before making my choice. I love the detail of the GX7/GM1 footage, but I really want the 1.5x crop of the a6000... 

i found the videoquality of the gh3 still a bit better then the a6000.

what would be interesting is how would the a6000 preform with the new anounced atomos ninja star.

I defenatly love the finer grain of the a6000 and the more detail. overall color and feel of the picture is nicer then my gh3.

but the sharpness is still not gh3 like, for me.

Could be possible because i had a preproduction model.

so share some videos ;)

I'd be very interested in the comparison!  Thanks

@Andy, or anyone, will do whatever tests you'd like.  My pleasure.  In Nikon, I have a 24mm 2.8D, 50mm (both D and AIS), and an 85mm rokinon.  I'm a bit stuck between the Rokinon 16mm cine and Nikon 16mm (which would work on my d600 I believe).  No plans to get either but thinking...   The 7mm Vivitar I have has too much barrel distortion on the BMPCC.  Thoughts Andy?

@ZEBRAWORKZ  I would be surprised if the gx7 has better sharpness in good light than the GH3 because though the Achilles heel of APS-C size sensor is the amount of pixels they must skip to get a 1080p frame, and line skipping creates moire, pixel binning, while improving that, doesn't change the fact that you would probably get more sharpness from pixels that are physically closer to each other.  

if you could try it on your nikon 24mm set at f3.5 , with and without the speedbooster - as my plan is to get the FD version and use it with my Canon FD 24-35mm f3.5 lens so it widens the 24mm to about 17mm ish at f2.8 ish !! 

Im very interested to see what this will look like......big thanks for that

if I was you I would get the Nikon 16mm so it fits with your other nikon lenses tint/ color wise

Manual only for video , AF is no use on any camera !!  the camera will never know what item you are focusing on in a scene.

How about a one shooter interview with eye tracking autofocus, lets you shoot with a shallower dof, and concentrate on the interview instead of the camera.. Touchscreen AF / Tracking also very nice for run and gun! 

Is it just me or is this 50p clip gnarly?  

Moire, aliasing and overall looking very videoy

compared to the organic feel of the G6 and gh3

The little bit of video in the camerstore review (5:50 ish) although overexposed looks very sony-ish to me.

Highlights are not nice. Yada yada.   

need to see more!  I would've bought one today, didn't come in to stock.  I bought the speedbooster though, buggery bum.